Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung tv stopped reading usb drives

(Topic created on: 14-01-2020 08:44 AM)
Chrislsk
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung UE55NU7023 i was playing back content just fine today and after i ejected my usb stick and insterted after 10 minutes without doing anything that would cause trouble my tv stopped loading anything from the usb port. It kep loading the usb forever when i tried to access it. I tried multiple usb sticks and it did the same thing. But when i had a single folder with a video in one usb drive the tv prompted me as always to play the video without opening the files and it played the video just fine, but when i tried to access the files after that i couldn't. What is going on? The port clearly works, what should i do? 

240 REPLIES 240
Merino-Noir
Pioneer
Options

Just off the line from Samsung on-line chat.  Essentially it seems to me that Samsung have no interest in fixing this problem. 

After reviewing everything they told me to take my TV to a authorised repairer (NOT Samsung) to have it assessed - at a fee of $140! and that is just for them to look at it.  If any repairs were required then they would cost me more -I was told that if it needed a motherboard (which Samsung suggested earlier) it is more economical to dump the TV and buy a new one.

I asked about any guarantee or warranty on any "repairs" (which is a bit of a joke when the problem is the firmware ) and I was told it was just 30 days.

As far as I am concerned this is just about the end of the line - unless I am prepared to take legal action under the Australian Consumer laws.  Might just do that!

Not Happy!!!!

If anyone has this problem with the Smart Hub and the TV is still under warranty then keep on contacting Samsung - but if the sets out of warranty, like mine, then Sansung has screwed us.

Merino-Noir
Pioneer
Options

I have just sent the following enquiry to the Consumer Affairs Office here in Australia.  Now to wait for their reaction.

I have a 4 year old Samsung Smart TV.   In December 2019 the Smart TV Smart Hub started malfunctioning intermittently.   I contacted Samsung and they accessed the TV remotely performed a reset saying it was fixed.   2 days later the problem was back.   

I am on a world wide forum of Samsung TV users and it is clear that owners of Samsung Smart TV, globally started having EXACTLY this problem , and for all it started in December 2019.

I again contacted Samsung and have been told to take the TV to a service company (not Samsung) who have told me there will be an inspection fee of $140 and if parts are needed then it will be more for parts and labour. The service company suggested that as the TV was 4 years old I may be better off just buying a new one.

All of this seems to be the result of Samsung pushing out a update to the TV's that has caused the Smart Hub function to intermittently fail, requiring the TV to be turned off at the wall a number of times each day in order to get it working again. Then when it fails its power off and on yet again.

I can provide the transcripts of my on-line chats with Samsung. I can provide details extracts of the Samsung on-line forum that shows my issues are not isolated but that is a world wide problem.

The action of Samsung in auto installing faulty software has rendered my Smart TV NOT fit for purpose. Samsungs 'authorised' repairer has told me if I take the TV to them there will be an inspect fee of $140 plus parts and labour for any repairs. They further suggested that as the TV was 4 years old it may be more economical for me to throw it away and buy a new one.

Is there anything I can do to have samsung correct their faulty software, returning my now NOT-SMART TV to its original functionality OR to have Samsung replace it OR provide a full refund?

Thank You.

John_John
Explorer
Options
Hey man relax those people are just doing their jobs. And no real higher up would read any emails it is just the grunts.

They have no real power in this matter. They hopefully reported it to their tech department and that's about it. They are giving you the run around at this point because they can't tell you to stop so you should read between the lines.

It is 100% their new software update and it isn't a mass sudden December mainboard pact of malfunction. The fact we can still see them, read them USB connections and it works a tad if we reset the TV (including the software) proves that they are still freaking working.

This update will take time they do a few of them yearly and we just started this year hopefully in a month max two we get a new software update that fixes the things they broke.

Till then I recommend streaming unfortunately. And any new people reading this send your local samsung support an email linking this thread it helps if too many of them keep reporting the same thing they will have to act eventually.
0 Likes
Merino-Noir
Pioneer
Options

Ageed - BUT we MUST keep up the pressure on Samsung or risk not having the issue fixed.  And that is what I am doing -  exercising my consumer rights under Australian Consumer law.

@John_John wrote:
Hey man relax those people are just doing their jobs. And no real higher up would read any emails it is just the grunts.

They have no real power in this matter. They hopefully reported it to their tech department and that's about it. They are giving you the run around at this point because they can't tell you to stop so you should read between the lines.

It is 100% their new software update and it isn't a mass sudden December mainboard pact of malfunction. The fact we can still see them, read them USB connections and it works a tad if we reset the TV (including the software) proves that they are still freaking working.

This update will take time they do a few of them yearly and we just started this year hopefully in a month max two we get a new software update that fixes the things they broke.

Till then I recommend streaming unfortunately. And any new people reading this send your local samsung support an email linking this thread it helps if too many of them keep reporting the same thing they will have to act eventually.

Runner043
Journeyman
Options

that's poor from Samsung but fair play for trying.

I've logged a case here in Ireland via email and i also linked this thread in the case, got response today telling me to do a factory reset ( i think this has been tried by other people already.. ) and if that fails then call their tech support.

I'll do the factory reset to follow their troubleshooting process anyway and see where it goes.

Hope they fix it as having this issue will be a non-runner for me and the TV will go, which would be a shame as have enjoyed the TV since we got it but as other poster said, hopefully in the next sw drop they fix the issue.

Welsharam
First Poster
Options

You're totally on the money here but its still a frustrating situtation to be in. Its also a sad indicment of the world we now live in where you can't even have a conversation with someone over email that actually knows anything; customer service is just people that are there to herd you until you get so frustrated you give up. Like all of you guys my TV (40" KU6000 6 series) has just started doing this over the last couple of weeks. Looking at your replies it does seem to be a firmware issue and hopefully Samsung will fix it in the next update. Removing devices and unplugging for a couple of minutes works for me.   

dukey42
Apprentice
Options

My trick is to cold start the TV (by holding down the power button) 2-3 times, it usually makes it work again.

BTW it's not just the USB drives, it's the "media player" in general that does not work.

I don't even have a USB plugged in, I'd just watch some movies over DLNA. 

It's clearly the new firmware that was pushed around late December. 

Screwing it up is no biggie. It's people working there, they make mistakes.

But how the issue is handled now, that is utterly outragous. No official statement, nothing.

Just a bunch of dudes sharing their own frustrations here, and no one from Samsungs take a minute to respond. ű

This lack of communication is what is really unprofessional. 

Just tell us "Yo, thanks for the feedback, we are on it, expect a fix next month, sorry." and everyone would be like "Thx bro!"

PS: Please, OP, unmark this as "Solved", it's not solved, only temporal tricks are given here.

ELewsley
Journeyman
Options

That is the only solution (unplug tv for a few mins), ive followed this thread since i started it and samsung should be ashamed of themselves , i for one wont buy from them again and strongly advise all to do same , they will only learn when you take your monies away from them :smiling-face:

Leesm
Journeyman
Options
I agree. I have been totally put off buying again.
NicolaV
Journeyman
Options

me too!