Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung TV sound switching problems

(Topic created on: 04-07-2020 03:05 PM)
Snowball1
First Poster
Options

Hi, hope someone can help with this.

I have a UE55RU7400 TV and cannot set it up to provide satisfactory function for sound through a 5.1 surround sound receiver.  I've tried everything, including buying a new AV receiver and am tearing my hair out with frustration.

1. First senario for my equipment setup:
Humax PVR, Sony PS4 and Samsung BD player all attached to a new Yamaha 5.1 receiver via HDMI.
Yamaha receiver attached to Samsung TV via HDMI ARC sockets on both devices.
All HDMI cables are high speed and HDMI ARC compatible.
Both the Yamaha receiver and Samsung TV have the latest firmware.
The Yamaha receiver is set to HDMI control with HDMI ARC enabled.
The Samsung TV is set with Anynet+ enabled.

Function for first scenario:
The Samsung One remote turns on the TV and Yamaha receiver but sound only plays through the TV speakers, despite previously setting the sound to HDMI receiver.
In the TV sound settings, there is initially only the option for TV speakers or Bluetooth, but eventually 'HDMI receiver' appears as an option.
When 'HDMI receiver' is selected, sound plays through the Yamaha receiver and 5.1 speakers and volume is controlled with the Samsung One remote, which is what I want and expect.
When the power button on the Samsung One remote is pressed, both the Samsung TV and Yamaha receiver turn off.
When the power button on the Samsung One remote is pressed again, both the Samsung TV and Yamaha receiver turn on again.
If the media source when the TV was last turned off was from one of the TV apps, sound plays through the receiver.
However, if the media source when the TV was last turned off was from one of the devices connected to the receiver, sound plays through the TV speakers.

2. Second senario for my equipment setup:
Humax PVR, Sony PS4 and Samsung BD player all attached directly to the TV via the three HDMI ports.  No HDMI connection to the receiver.
Yamaha receiver attached to Samsung TV via optical cable.

Function for second scenario:
The Samsung One remote turns on the TV and can turn on and control most functions on the connected PVR, PS4 and BD player (but not very important to me).
The Yamaha receiver can only be turned on and controlled by the Yamaha remote, as expected.
The sound output from the TV is set to optical and this does not change, regardless of what connected device or TV app is functioning, and does not change when the TV is turned on or off. In this respect, the optical connection delivers what I want and expect.
When the sound source from either a connected device or a TV app does not support 5.1 surround sound, the TV sound automatically sets to PCM and 5.1 sound options in the expert settings are greyed out. This is as expected and only stereo sound plays through the receiver and speakers.
When the sound source from either a connected device or a TV app supports 5.1 surround sound, I manually change the TV sound settings to e.g. Dolby Digital and 5.1 sound is played through the receiver and speakers as I want and expect.
When another sound source is then selected that does not support 5.1 sound, the TV sound settings again automatically change back to PCM stereo.
When another sound source that supports 5.1 sound is again selected, the TV sound settings remain on PCM and I have to be changed manually to Dolby Digital.

I only ever want to play sound through the Yamaha receiver and never through the TV speakers and when available, I always want to play 5.1 sound from whichever source. Having to delve into the TV sound menu every time to do this is unacceptable and defeats the intended purpose of a 'smart' TV.

Can anyone advise please if the unacceptable functioning described above for both HDMI ARC and optical sound are faults with the TV or software errors and ideally, how I can  prevent the TV from selecting TV speakers (HDMI setup) or PCM (optical setup) as the sound output? If I can't resolve this issue, it's back to the retailer for a refund.
0 Likes
0 REPLIES 0