Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Tv LetsEncrypt SSL Expiry Kills smart features

(Topic created on: 05-10-2021 09:06 PM)
thering1975
Explorer
Options

Be interested to know how Samsung is going to handle the Lets Encrypt certificate which expired on Sept 30th. As it stands i have 2 Samsung Tvs and 1 LG all affected. Plex app as well as the Samsung App store fail to work (cant see info install reinstall)  as the intermediate cert has been expired.

I wonder if Samsung will be issuing a firmware update or just EOL the devices as such all Smart functions will cease to operate.

The two models i have which are affected are:

UE65TU7020KXXU

and

UE60KS7000

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
iTzSnicholls
Student
Options

I am also keen to know what Samsung expect to do about this only bought the TV new last year.

Model : QE55Q80RATXXU

Software Version : T-MSMDEUC-1385.0

Running Plex too and it's failing

0 Likes
thering1975
Explorer
Options

yeah i doubt they will update to be fair, i managed to solve my issue on plex by switching my cert provider on my homelab proxy to zerossl instead serverside

You can switch your plex server to allow insecure for now and set the tv app to insecure, but well if it's not local probably not best practice

0 Likes
iTzSnicholls
Student
Options

Tried changing mine to Allow Insecure but unfortunately not worked so looking at the Samsung TV as the issue now

0 Likes
thering1975
Explorer
Options

Did you set it to preffered on the server side and insecure in the TV app?

Needs both switches, but yes it is the TV as they are using the expired intermediate, so ultimately if you cant switch the server to Zerossl, it will take Samsung to issue a firmware update

0 Likes
iTzSnicholls
Student
Options

Yeah I missed the server side setting when trying last night but just tried changing it to preffered and client side to always. Also updated the app ( I am running the latest Plex Synology app on xpenology)

Currently working through a zerossl request to try

0 Likes
thering1975
Explorer
Options

Aww xpenology have that running on my proxmox

I dont know if you are using docker, but i use linuxserver Swag proxy docker for ssl and reverse proxying, i found out today they support Zerossl by adding an environment tag, and a email tag, the email address needs to be the one you set up an account for on zerossl site. The account is free, and as Swag uses the ACME protocol, you are limitless for number of domains and sub domains

0 Likes
thering1975
Explorer
Options

Aww okay just read you are using synologys app not docker so you dont have a proxy running so i guess you can download the ssl cert from zerossl and install it manually in plex app

0 Likes
thering1975
Explorer
Options

But worth looking at using docker as the images are more upto date than Synology's app and great way of hosting different things behing a reverse proxy like swag makes it simpler in the end

0 Likes
iTzSnicholls
Student
Options

Not explored Docker massively myself but familiar with it enough to try.

I am using the Plex app from Plex directly rather than the one hosted by Synology for exactly the reason you said think Synology App is still on 1.18.

Cheers though gives me something to try and get it backup until Samsung release something if they ever do.

0 Likes