Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Smart TV no longer recognizing video Files on external hard drive

(Topic created on: 24-11-2020 07:19 PM)
RGC69
Student
Options

I have a Samsung Smart TV 55" Model Code UN55MU6290 with Software Version T-KTMAKUC-1280.8 and checking it says that is the latest.  I also tried to see when it was updated and the last check for software updates was over a month ago, so I don't think that has changed. I have always recorded movies and tv shows so I can watch at my convenience at night and with no commercials. Starting a few days ago this TV will see the external hard drive but says there is no content. I have tried numerous hard drives and thumb drives all with the same result. Again, this just started a few days ago and always worked in the past. The external hard drive is a Western Digital My Passport with 2 TB space. I have also used several thumb drives. Reading on the internet one source says Samsung prefers the external hard drive have an external power source. So I also tried a Seagate external hard drive with an external power source. No matter what I try, I get the same error now, but they have all worked in the past. I don't see that anything has changed. I have another Samsung Smart TV 55" just like it but  year older. They all still work on the older TV, which is not that old.

I have nothing but Samsung TV's and Computer Monitors in the house, so obviously I am a fan. This problem is very annoying. Also, Black Friday is here and I wanted to get another new TV. Quite frankly, if this is where Samsung is going, I am switching brands, but I like Samsung. Does anyone have a suggestion? I will keep checking back because I need to solve the problem and I want to figure it out before buying another Samsung.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It seems odd. The first thing I would try is disconnecting the hard drive, turn off TV, disconnect from mains. Leave for a few minutes, fire up the TV and connect the ext HDD
0 Likes
RGC69
Student
Options

Thanks. I have done that many times and even tried leaving all unpluged for a extended period. And, yes, this does seem odd. I can't tell that anything else has changed and it has not updated either.

0 Likes
tommy2stroke
First Poster
Options

that dont work

0 Likes