Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung smart remote v Virgin box

(Topic created on: 17-09-2022 02:13 PM)
Paul1802
Explorer
Options

Hi all 

I've just purchased the S95B QD OLED and set it up. Brilliant TV. 

One annoying issue outstanding is that I can't get the smart remote to operate my VM box. Having searched various forums I've seen where some people have been able to do it by entering a different box manufacturer but that didn't work for me. Samsung support basically treated me like a 5 year old and told me to turn the box off/on and try again. Obviously no change. 

Thing is, I've spoken to someone from VM and they tell me the only thing that can operate this box is their remote, nothing else. Is this actually the case and if so are these people who are claiming they got it to work telling porkies?

In case I can't respond to replies one of the workarounds appears to be to put the manufacturer in as Pace with a 7111 model num even though it's made by Humax. That didn't work. 

Thanks to anyone who can help in advance. 

4 REPLIES 4
AndrewL
Options

@Paul1802: I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. For clarity, have you connected your VM box via HDMI cable, then headed to Home > Menu > Connected Devices > Universal Remote to register the box? It does state in the user manual that specific external devices may not support the feature, therefore if you're not having any luck via the steps above, and if Virgin have stated that the box isn't compatible, then it may be restricted to using the remote that came with the VM box. 

0 Likes
Paul1802
Explorer
Options

Hi Andrew, yeah I've done that and tried several other possible workarounds, none of which have worked. Just that when seeing on other forums people claim to have got it operational i think well then I should be able to as well. Then again, it is the internet and these claims are easily made I suppose. 

Not the end of the world, I'll just have to use 2 remotes instead of one. First world problems eh........

0 Likes
Lingard87
Pathfinder
Options
I had this with my Samsung TV (au7000 or something maybe) and virgin box when the virgin box was behind the telly. I stuck it on top of the TV and is started working. My guess would be the TV transmits IR to virgin box rather than going over HDMI or LAN
0 Likes
Paul1802
Explorer
Options

Hi there. 

Yeah it does indeed require line of sight IR and is sitting below the TV front facing on a separate shelf. 

I wouldn't be too concerned about using the second remote only for the fact that lots of people "claim" to have got it operational using the smart remote. As a tech head I see that as a challenge 🤣

0 Likes