Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung, Sky Q and Soundbar

(Topic created on: 20-11-2021 05:54 AM)
Ger2765
Apprentice
Options

Seems like I have only two frustrating options with my 2021 Q80A and Q600A soundbar with Sky Q.

Option 1 - Sky Q to HDMI 1, Soundbar on HDMI 3 - Samsung TV recognises and controls Sky Q, Samsung Symphony works BUT with huge Sky Q lipsync issues.

Option 2 - Sky Q to Soundbar to HDMI 3 - no lip sync issues BUT Samsung doesn’t recognise the Sky box to control it and Samsung Symphony doesn’t work.

This is generic Samsung software in both 2021 TV and soundbar - surely there is an solution for this?

28 REPLIES 28
Monkey26
First Poster
Options

Have exactly the same issue - Q80A and 800 soundbar. I think it down to the fact the TVMTB takes longer to process the sound and because it’s behind the image non of the lip sync settings work because they only delay the sound further.

You would think with all the technical wizardry in modern tvs they would have the ability to correct this.

As it is I have had to do connections the same as you and have sacrificed qsymphony and hdmi control.

Always frustrating when you can’t have all the options and capabilities.

Samsung must be aware of this as our setups are not unique!

0 Likes
Ger2765
Apprentice
Options

Firmware update for the tv 1808.1 (by usb) has helped - a bit.

Sky Q is definitely better, direct connection to HDMI, audio delay set to 0 and HDMI pass through. Still not right, noticeable to me because I’m looking for the lip sync now. Also when changing channels or FF a programme there is now a short delay before sound kicks in - I assume for everything to sync. Lip sync gets worse over time however especially for a recorded Sky programmes for some reason.
Setting Sky sound output to “normal” solves it - but defeats the object of paying for HDR and atmos.

What I can’t understand is where are all the other complaints? Little mention of lip sync issues on this forum, same for the Samsung group in AVForums. 
Either only a few of us are having issues or that only a few Q80As have been sold to Sky Q customers?

0 Likes
Monkey26
First Poster
Options

I think if you hunt around on the various forums etc there are a fair few posts about lip sync issues - lots on Sonos soundbars, Samsung and/or Sky Q.

It is weird as the lip sync I had varied between, Sky, Netflix, watching live, recordings and time of day!

I do think the TV is to blame (don’t think it will only be the Q80A model) as it must be processing the different sound formats at various delays, hence the differering delays.

it’s not really an issue for me as I wasn’t that impressed with Q symphony (ignoring the lip sync!) as I thought it gave too much of an artificial sound and was not very precise and ‘echoey’.

I have the soundbar with the two 9500 surrounds with system set as ‘standard mode’ and it blows me away.

But it does niggle a bit that every option isn’t available and you have to do a workaround when it would seem an easy fix for a software update to release the sound and vision signal to the viewer at the same time!

0 Likes
Tracyp1
First Poster
Options

It isn't just a few issues! We have just bought our QN94A Neo QLED 55" and Q600A soundbar but cannot get the lip sync right! We have optical cable from soundbar to TV to use Q Symphony and HDMI for Sky Q and Blu-ray. Have tried audio adjustments in TV settings and Sky settings but just can't get it right. Plus, it changes from channel to channel. Never had this before with our previous Samsung TV and soundbar set up. Upgrade to better TV and soundbar and get this! Not happy.....

0 Likes
Monkey26
First Poster
Options

None of the adjustments will work in my experience.

Only solution is hdmi from sky Q to soundbar and then hdmi out from soundbar to earc hdmi on tv. This way audio and vision should match. This does mean no Q symphony but soundbar should still sound great (I have mine set on standard).

With the DVD I have mine direct to the hdmi 2 on tv (and the sound goes to the soundbar automatically via the hdmi earc. Set sound setting to ‘pass through’ on tv setting. This method works for my dvd with no lip sync issues but when I tried this with sky Q lip sync was way out (!?). If you do get lip sync with your DVD you can try using optical to soundbar.

Hope that’s not all stating the obvious and hope it works out.

ps As I said in earlier post I wasn’t impressed with Q symphony anyway so don’t feel like I’m losing out (but that should be my choice).

Don’t know whether Samsung or Sky are to blame - wish all these companies would agree compatibility on sound and vision formats!

0 Likes
Hlldazzer
Journeyman
Options

I have been having the same issue with mine Q65A TV & Q600 SB, only option still to date is sky q to sb then to tv to avoid the lip sync issue.

But I now end up with another issue if I watch tv apps then go back to sky q without turning every thing off and on again, sky q says tv is not uhd and goes back to 1080p settings on sky.

the Q600 states that a 4k picture can pass through so not sure whats going on.

0 Likes
Ger2765
Apprentice
Options

I have exactly the same issues for the last few weeks.

SKY Q direct to hdmi - lip-sync issues, otherwise fine - but unwatchable.

SKY Q through Soundbar - no lip sync issues but - TV does not recognise that SKY Q is on sometimes, have to turn Sky on/off a few times. TV gives a message on the TV that Sky is in the wrong Mode - SKY jumps to 1080p 

0 Likes
BeamMeUp
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I have the same set up (with 2022 Q75A), same problem.  I'm a bit of a novice with all of this but have arrived at the same solution. I'm not sure whether Symphony matters so much to me but it is part of a very expensive package and I expect Samsung to do something about this. Why aren't there any replies from them to this discussion?  I'm going to experiment a bit using combinations of Optical and Arc and hopefully won't blow anything up. I will also try spending an hour or two talking with Samsung about it. 

0 Likes
Monkey26
First Poster
Options

I have two identical set ups with Samsung tv and soundbar with sky Q (or mini box). Only way to avoid lip sync is hdmi from sky to soundbar then soundbar to tv using hdmi earc. Any attempts to do sky to tv to soundbar cause lip sync and/or connection drop outs. Luckily the Samsung soundbars have 2 hdmi ports (many soundbars don’t). I don’t know if the lip sync is the way sky send the video/audio or if it is the tv reprocessing signals. All very annoying when the tv is supposed to be the hub into which everything is connected……

0 Likes