Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung removing SMART IPTV from Apps after update?

(Topic created on: 07-09-2018 03:16 PM)
MarkosLov
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

is it true that  samsung is removing SMART IPTV application on all models after update?

If yes, why this is happening, smart iptv is one of rare m3u players?

Regards

42 REPLIES 42
AntS
Options

Hi @Netuddki and @Madasahat. Just a post to let you guys know that on advisement and concern from our TV Head Engineers we've removed your posts that were discussing the unofficial installation of an alternative app.

Maughanorama
Explorer
Options

@AntS can your head engineer provide any feedback on aether smartiptv is removed on mu6100 ver1240 ? Or can anyone provide a changelog. I find it madness that we are to update firmware without knowing what the firmware does. 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Maughanorama: I confirmed with my colleague that SmartIPTV is available on a UK 2017 TV with 1240 firmware. The app isn't installed by default, so folks would need to do a search on the Smart Hub and install it. (For an MU6100, you'd need to be logged into a Samsung Account to install new apps - if anyone with that model isn't aware.)

Generally speaking, firmware updates are mostly completely separate to what apps are or aren't available on a SmartHub.

0 Likes
Maughanorama
Explorer
Options

@Ant thanks

@Ok excellent can we have a changelog for the latest mu6100 firmware please?

I'm unable to find anything anywhere that explains what this firmware is doing. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Talisman
First Poster
Options

I am considering replacing my Mu6400 for a Samsung UE49NU7100. Will I still be able to get SMIPTV?

0 Likes
Maughanorama
Explorer
Options

So @Ant no one at Samsung going to post a changelog of TV firmwares then?  

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Maughanorama: I asked for you guys. At the moment it's not Samsung policy - apart from the generic stuff you might see on the US site for example. I agree it'd be a good thing to have something a bit more informative published though, so I'm currently looking into seeing what we can do to change that policy for the future.

Maughanorama
Explorer
Options

Thanks @Ant

I find it a little crazy that a company as large as Samsung do send changelogs out for firmware. Are we expected to blindly upgrade firmware with no idea of what its actually doing?  Even Sony give a minimal change log on their firmware builds. 

I think in this day and age full disclosure of firmware should be a standard practice

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I agree that the lack of  specific infomation on firmware is hardly ideal, however  at least  the concerns are being escalated and hopefully the policy will change in the future.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Cr4z33
Explorer
Options

I confirm that after the update of (a Q7F 2017) v1240 firmware the Smart IPTV app has disappeared from the Apps list! 😮

0 Likes