Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung QN95a / games consoles blacking out intermittently...

(Topic created on: 09-08-2021 10:53 AM)
Swordfish86
Pathfinder
Options

Hello. I’ve just bought a 55” QN95a - it’s connected to both a PS5 and an Xbox Series X. 

I've been having an issue, where when playing a game on either console, the screen/sound blacks out for about two seconds and then just goes back to normal. The game carries on in the background as it’s momentarily blacked out.

I’ve scoured the internet and it seems it’s a very common issue, particularly with Samsung Tv’s. 

ive been offered a replacement tv or just one connect box, and I’ve opted to try a new one connect (easier that packing up a whole tv etc) that should come in a couple of weeks. But I’m not convinced that it’s a technical fault, but rather something software / setting related.

Ive obviously spoken to Samsung, but as always, it’s just the usual, generic troubleshooting. I’ve tried factory settings, different hdmi ports, changing from 8bit to 10bit etc. But it persists.

Any other ideas? The tv works flawlessly otherwise, it would be wonderful to get to the bottom of this one issue

Thanks

290 REPLIES 290
Krashing
Navigator
Options

Sooo on Wednesday  I got a call from Samsung assistance Center here in my city, they provided me in accord with Samsung Corea with another hdmi port update they did on my tv as a beta test.. it will be implemented in the newest firmware update as soon as it gets out.. they already did this a month ago and the situation got better, but now as far as I could see until now this should fix the issue.. I’m not having any kind of interruptions on none of the hdmi port

Obi56
Journeyman
Options
Update from my side. Engineer has just been and replaced the main board in the OCB, nothing new there from what other people have seen.

However, one interesting thing that he did note while he pulled up the diagnostics was that while the HDMI ports were reporting no faults the Bluetooth module was reporting 18 faults. Now since its been 12 days since I last did a factory reset he said that could actually be the culprit as failure of the Bluetooth/WiFi module can present failures in other/random areas. This also tracks with the number of dropouts I've had over that same period.

What makes this interesting is the Bluetooth/WiFi module is part of it IR module/wiring harness which obviously interacts with power on/off.

If the mainboard replacement doesn't work and I get a drop out they're going to come back and replace the whole IR module.
0 Likes
Cyph3r92
Explorer
Options

Has there been anything definitive on this?

I received my 85" QN95A a couple of weeks ago. It has terrible DSE (a discussion for another time), but these black outs are killing me.

On my Nvidia Shield TV I've had very rare black screens while watching content.

But using my gaming PC on an RTX3080 GPU, I'm using the following settings:

PC:

• 3840x2160
  • 120hz
  • RGB 4:4:4
  • HDR 
  • VRR

TV:

• Game Mode 
  • Input Signal Plus enabled

I get very frequent drop outs. Sometimes just the sound cuts for a second and comes back, sometimes the whole screen goes black and comes back a few seconds later without sound and the sound comes back about 10 seconds later. Sometimes the screen will go black and then the HDMI No Signal screen will show for about 45 seconds before the picture comes back.

I'm using certified 2.1 HDMI cables. I even bought more certified 2.1 cables from different brands on the off chance the ones I had were duds, but the problem remains.

I've tried disabling HDR. It still happens.

I've tried disabling VRR. It still happens.

I've tried editing the source so it doesn't appear as a PC/Games console. It still happens.

This is really starting to drive me insane. The TV is great otherwise but obviously this problem makes it unusable.

I spoke to Samsung support today and they said they've never heard of this issue before.

0 Likes
Obi56
Journeyman
Options
Well, as expected replacing the mainboard in the OCB hasn't fixed the issue.

Just on with support again now to arrange another engineer appointment to hopefully investigate the Bluetooth/WiFi/IR receiver angle.
0 Likes
Obi56
Journeyman
Options
Nothing yet and whoever you dealt with is just blatantly lying. This issue is all over several forums
0 Likes
Members_Hp12eGF
Student
Options

Hi all. 

Apologies for offering nothing more than a query here, but is it generally accepted that there is likely to be a solution to this issue via the release of an update soon?

I'm expecting delivery of a QN95a next week but am leaning towards cancelling if I'm going to have issues connecting a PS5.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Cyph3r92
Explorer
Options

From what I understand, Samsung haven't even acknowledge the issue depsite it being reported for months. So based on that it seems unlikely a fix is in the works. 

0 Likes
Krashing
Navigator
Options

If you read my upper post you’ll see Samsung aknowledged the issue and is working on a software update to solve the problem, you just need to check the upper replies and read them, i already explained that 

0 Likes
Cyph3r92
Explorer
Options

Strange. I've spoke to multiple people at Samsung UK and they claim they have nothing on record about this being an issue that is being reviewed and "assured" me that it's not a common problem.

0 Likes
Obi56
Journeyman
Options
Supposedly Samsung were also "aware" of: "Samsung #QN95A production quality issue on selected TVs. Causing random HDMI blackouts. "It is a quality problem where an adhesive strip in the OCB has not been properly glued. Any strip that should conduct electricity." Samsung is aware of the issue and can repair it."

That's from a post on Twitter all the way back in April
0 Likes