Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung QN900B vs. Sonos Arc

(Topic created on: 31-10-2022 09:19 AM)
twuk
Pioneer
Options

Hi all

Swapped our trusted Sonos Playbar for a Sonos Arc over the weekend, thinking as we had a new TV (2 months old) we could finally enjoy improved sound via Dolby Atmos.  Unfortunately since installing the Arc we've had nothing but problems, and all signs seem to point to the Samsung TV being the issue.  The main symptom is that the TV seems to forget the Arc is connected, and we end up with audio being available only via the TV itself.  The only resolution I've found has been to factory reset the TV, which I've now done daily.

I can see a host of posts on this forum with varying models of Samsung TV's having issues with the Sonos Arc and/or eARC more generally (presumably regardless of soundbar make/model).  Equally on the Sonos forum users have basically suggested giving up on getting this working on a Samsung TV.

Before I go to the extreme and try to return this TV (which is now wall mounted grrr), has anyone with the QN900B managed to get it working consistently with the Sonos Arc, and if so using what settings please?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
ABenj8
Apprentice
Options

Hey there - just bought a 85 Q90B and Sonos Arc. Having all sorts of issues with audio delay and arc/eArc. I don’t see Samsung doing anything about it. This appears to be issue across all 2021 and 2022 QNs with an external audio device. Too bad as I’ve got 4 other Samsungs that work! Swapping it out for a LG C2 and not looking back. If I had any confidence in Samsung response/resolution I’d keep the Samsung, but not gonna be stuck with poor audio forever. Disappointed

twuk
Pioneer
Options

Interesting... We did consider the LG, but stuck with Samsung as we've wall mounted and I couldn't face getting a multitude of cables through the wall and trying to avoid wires everywhere. How did you manage it, or did you not mount it?

0 Likes
strlgag
First Poster
Options

I am in a similar situation and may end up returning my QN980B to Costco if it doesn't get resolved. My set up: The Samsung TV, DirecTv box, Apple TV 4K and a blu-ray player all connected to the TV via HDMI cables. The Sonos Arc is also connected via an HDMI cable. The issue I have is that we usually watch DirecTv, and I can get the audio through the soundbar. However I go to turn on the TV after it has been turned off, the TV forgets the soundbar and defaults to the TV speakers. Switching to the soundbar in the setup results in no audio, and the TV eventually switches by to the internal speakers for sound.

I have been able to "workaround" this by switching the input to the Apple TV and playing some content. This will play via the soundbar. Then I put the Apple TV in sleep mode (effectively turning it off) and switch to the DirecTv input. Voila - audio via the soundbar. The settings I used on the TV are  HDMI eArc AUTO, Digital Output PASS THROUGH (if I put it in AUTO I get "Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1" via the DirecTv box instead of "Dolby Digital 5.1"). This is not the way a $3K setup should work, but it does give me the audio I want and I still have a few months to decide if I can live with it or change TVs at Costco. 2 hours of scripted Samsung support did nothing to fix this, and the agent seemed surprised to learn that this is a known issue. It was escalated, and we will see if I get a response. If the Samsung QN line does not play well the the Sonos Arc, Samsung needs to be upfront and transparent about this (Warning labels on TV??). I also agree that it is a TV problem, as all the switching of audio is done by the TV and outputted to the Sonos Arc. Perhaps a problem with the hardware/software of the Anynet+ system (HDMI CEC). Looking forward to a resolution

0 Likes
Juliet12345
First Poster
Options

we have LG tv and it makes no difference 

our Samsung q900b sounbar will not link any way and we can’t have Alexa or Google Assist. We have read 1000s of posts and all all stems back to Samsung 

0 Likes