Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q9FN - Judder, screen tear, choppiness

(Topic created on: 08-05-2019 08:23 PM)
Ricky8
Journeyman
Options

I have the 55 inch version of this and have had it for a few months now . 

First of all I want to say I am happy with the TV in terms of black levels, crispness and overall colour. I really want to love this TV but the motion issues are making me tear my hair out!

I really like the soap opera effect. So initially I set my TV to have max on both blur and Judder reducition. I am not sure but I have noticed recently that my TV is now producing chopping and screen tearing the picture on fast moving scenes. Why? 

After a lot of messing around with the settings I have had to put down the settings on judder reduction to 3 and that seems to have totally eliminated the issue but has now eliminated the nice smooth motion you get when the settings are higher .

On gaming even in game mode I have to totally turn off game motion plus in order to enjoy the game without it tearing but without any motion settings the games look kind of horrible. On games the tearing is when the screen pans quickly and it's always at the top half of the screen .

I have new premium certified HDMI cables, I have tried using different devices test the motion and I can only boil it down to the judder reduction setting. 

Is my panel faulty? Is there anything I can do to fix this? 

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
CarlH
Options

Hi @Ricky8? What are you using to play games on? I know the Xbox One X supports Freesync but only when running at 1080p I believe. 

Ricky8
Journeyman
Options

Hello @CarlH I am using Xbox S for games. I have noticed the screen tear with any motion settings on on HDR games such as Tomb Raider, RDR2 and the Division 2.

For movies I am using the Nvidia Shield and notice the tearing/choppiness on 1080p and 4k files only when Judder Reduction is set higher than 3. Mainly on fast moving scenes. 

CarlH
Options
Ricky8
Journeyman
Options

Hello @CarlH sorry for the late reply i have tried all the HDMI ports on the one connect box, I have tried different hdmi cables, I have tried playing the movies on the Shield and Xbox One S and I still get choppiness and screen tear on fast moving scenes when Judder is set to over 3. I also notice this when playing YouTube app on the tv  so I'm not sure what's happening here.

I just want to know if this is normal for the TV or my panel is defective. 

Ricky8
Journeyman
Options

Bump

caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

Hello @Ricky8,

I own the Q7FN but the firmware is the same and the effect should be the same on my screen too.

Maybe you could upload a small video on youtube and share the link so that we can see what kind of effect you are talking about? I will try to reproduce your settings and content to tell you if it's normal or not.

Also, can you give an example where the problem is noticable using something more "conventional" like a specific youtube video, or a netflix movie? Cause I don't have an Xbox, I only game on PC (using the TV) and I have never had issues like that before. But I always have all digital processing effects turned off so that I always have the least possible input lag.

Regards

Ricky8
Journeyman
Options

@caboomgr wrote:

Hello @Ricky8,

I own the Q7FN but the firmware is the same and the effect should be the same on my screen too.

Maybe you could upload a small video on youtube and share the link so that we can see what kind of effect you are talking about? I will try to reproduce your settings and content to tell you if it's normal or not.

Also, can you give an example where the problem is noticable using something more "conventional" like a specific youtube video, or a netflix movie? Cause I don't have an Xbox, I only game on PC (using the TV) and I have never had issues like that before. But I always have all digital processing effects turned off so that I always have the least possible input lag.

Regards

@caboomgr wrote:

Hello @Ricky8,

Regards

Thank for replying @caboomgr

I have a found a YouTube video which I was getting the issue on. I just found the scene using YouTube but was getting issues on the 4k Blu-ray. Still the same thing happens though.

https://youtu.be/0fgLjiI7xHM

If you look at round the 7:50 mark when 'Squidward' comes flying towards to screen it's very choppy on judder reduction set to Auto or 5/6+. Also at 4:40 mark where  Spidey wears his mask and then swings through there is weird chopping there. This video is a clip from Avengers Infinity War so if you haven't seen it obviously spoiler warning so apologies. 

By digital processing settings which ones are they? Because I have turned off different things but it's only the judder reduction that seems to be the main culprit. 

Thanks for helping me with this. 

caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

Hello @Ricky8,

I can confirm to you that the exact same youtube video that you sent me, when having the motion plus settings to Auto or a high enough value, the part where squidward comes flying towards the screen (right after the 7:50 mark) looks very very choppy and it makes it look like a screen tearing effect, but I assure you, this is normal. Nothing wrong with your TV if this is the kind of problem you are talking about. You just need to go easy on the motion plus settings.

What Auto Motion Plus does, is basically digitally produces more frames in between the original frames by "guessing" what an in between picture would look like, to give you this smooth soap opera effect. So for example, that specific video, if it is uploaded as 30 fps on youtube, your TV is "guessing" 90 more fps to reach up to 120 (because this is the maximum Hz/fps that the TV can achieve) to give you this nice smooth motion feeling.

But have in mind that those extra frames are fake.. They never were there in the first place, and especially since this specific video is so bad quality-wise, the produced frames are also bad. Personally, I try to watch with Auto Motion Plus turned off completely because it shows the original picture as was intended to see. Your TV has a 120 Hz monitor which means that it can natively playback videos that perfectly devide by that number. So... If the movie you are watching is 24 fps (as most movies are), then your monitor can playback natively that exact frame rate since 120/24 = 5. Meaning that your TV will show 5 still frames and then move on to the next one. If you were playing content that has 25 fps (just an example) then 120/25 = 4.8 meaning that your TV will blend some frames together (choppy / tearing image) in order to keep the playback going on. I hope you understand what I'm saying. The key to having a perfect playback is always having a perfect source.

I also enjoy the soap opera effect since it is so smooth in fast moving scenes, but I usually set it to a maximum number of 3. Auto Motion Plus set to 3 is perfect for my eyes. Each person has different eyes so... you might need to find the right number for yourself. My personal suggestion is that if you really need the motion plus, use Judder reduction to 3, Blur reduction to 0 and LED clear motion turned off. This is the best setting for my eyes while not ruining the movie too much with "fake" frames.

By digital processing effects I mean almost everything 😛 Digital Clean View, Auto Motion Plus, HDR+ mode, Film mode, everything from the Eco Solution menu. All those features are intended mostly for older analog sources (like analog TV signal, VHS etc) because they are designed to enhance that kind of bad pictures. But nowdays, everything we watch is digital and there is no point in enhancing a digital signal.

When gaming, I always do it from PC (I have my PC connected to the TV with an hdmi cable). Meaning that I have configured my input as "PC" which practically disabled everything from the above digital processing settings. All of those settings add input lag and makes competitive gaming a bad experience. If you turn everything off, the input lag for this TV is about 15ms but if you have everything on, it can go as high as 70-80ms which is too much for gaming. Turning Gaming Mode on is almost the same as using the PC setting.

About the Game Motion Plus settings. This is basically the same as the Auto Motion Plus for movies, but adopted in the gaming mode. It's not the best thing to do when gaming because it also adds input lag, and produces those "fake" frames I was telling you about earlier. The best thing you can do if you want smoother gameplay, would be to increase the fps from your console or PC (if possible). Why play the game in 30 or 60fps and ask your TV to guess the in between frames to reach up to 120 fps when you could just produce 120 fps directly from your console or PC?

Also, you said that you play games from Xbox. I believe that your console supports FreeSync which would be the absolute best to enable for the best gaming experience you could get. FreeSync means variable frame rate and will increase performance by a lot if you do. So, disable Game Motion Plus and enable FreeSync.

When I first got my Q7 TV, I was also obsessed with the Auto Motion Plus settings - I just loved how smooth it looked like, but eventually as time passed, I started to get annoyed by it because you will notice that when you have it on very high setting (6+), it makes parts of the image blurry (which is normal) and ruins the crispy clear 4k experience for me.

I hope I have made some things clear for you and don't worry, I've already seen the movie so.. no spoilers for me 

Regards

Ricky8
Journeyman
Options

Hello thank you so much for the in depth reply. I really appreciate it. 

It is sort of bittersweet. On one hand I am happy that there's nothing wrong with my panel but on the other hand I would have liked the make the most of the motion settings without there being any compromises to the picture. 

I do not think this panel handles motion too well as even on judder reduction at 3 when watching a YouTube video for football highlights it is virtually impossible watch! It seems as though you need to have to motion settings totally off for sport.

I don't think this should be the case for a flagship 2018 TV which I have spent a lot of money on. I know even the best TVs out there aren't perfect but for a setting that goes up to 10 surely 3 is a bit low to keep it on?Why is it even there if you can't make the most of it?

Do you see my point?