Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q90T Xbox Series X VRR Issues

(Topic created on: 16-11-2020 10:35 AM)
jdp117
Navigator
Options

Hello everyone.

So I've had the Series X for a few days now and have managed to play around with settings in various games. Some of the games I've "tested" are Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, AC Valhalla, FIFA 21... So some quite varied content. 

The issues I'm having are related to VRR. I have noticed that when VRR is enabled, blacks are crushed to death and contrast is incredibly off the scale that all details in dark scenes are lost and bright scenes are really over blown. One of the biggest issues I've noticed is that with Gears 5 in dark scenes (opening mission tunnel sequences for example) there seems to be horizontal patches crawling vertically up the screen from bottom to top. Disabling VRR in the Series X settings menu completely fixes all VRR related issues. I guess the point of this post is to establish whether or not others are having the same issues. It seems as though the only fix is to disable VRR completely. I still leave my general video settings on 4K and 120hz, just without VRR. I have to say I have not noticed any screen tearing in 120fps game play such as Gears 5 Versus or Ori, both of which run at 120fps, so for now disabling it it isn't an issue for me. 

One aside is that OLED owners seem to be having a similar issue with VRR. Seems as though the technology in tangent with these new consoles / TVs is failing to work as intended. 

Anyone got any ideas or experiences of this themselves?

52 REPLIES 52
Gumpy321
Explorer
Options

Please keep us up to date with what happens. Thanks. 

jdp117
Navigator
Options

@CaptainFastcat wrote:

I contacted Samsung Support about this today since I'm also experiencing the issue with a very dark display when VRR is enabled (it seems fine when it's disabled).

They told me that it's a known issue and will be fixed in the next firmware, although they don't yet have a release date for that.

Also, they'll send an engineer to my house next week to apply a software update to correct the issue. I don't know if this means they'll apply an early release version of the next firmware, or if it'll be some tweaks through the service menus.

They told you a firmware update is coming to fix it but they're sending an engineer to your house to fix it? Sounds like nonsense from Samsung to me. Can't see why they'd send an engineer with a possible solution to you without releasing it to the public the same time, unless it is something that can only be done manually... but then why say there is a firmware update coming addressing it if that's the case? Anyhow, I'm interested to see what the engineer does when he arrives, please keep us posted. You've definitely had more success with Samsung support than I have! I still haven't heard back from them since end of November after countless attempts to get a response from the technical team who initiated this process with me. 

0 Likes
MatthewKing
First Poster
Options

Better than them telling you “it’s to spec” like they blew off another user. Will be interesting to see how or if performance improves.

0 Likes
CaptainFastcat
Explorer
Options

All I can tell you at this point is that is that I was told that there is a software update for this issue but that there is no release date planned for it yet so an engineer will have to come and apply it.

It seems like a lot of effort to apply a fix to a single TV to me, so I'm unsure quite what will happen here.

Regardless, I have a service order number and am expecting an engineer in the first half of next week. I'll report back here after its done.

0 Likes
Rocketopunch
Apprentice
Options

I love their firmware fairy tales. I forwarded  my Samsung response to my law company. They‘re going to far with this. 

0 Likes
CaptainFastcat
Explorer
Options

Ok, so I was called by an engineer to confirm a time to look at the problem. After running through it (again) I was told that the engineer who would visit has no special access to the software fix, there is nothing they can do and that I'd have to wait for the OTA, like everyone else.

This makes a lot more sense than what I was told by the first line support agent.

0 Likes
MatthewKing
First Poster
Options

Bizarre but not entirely unexpected. I guess they wanted to confirm you weren’t expecting issues in addition to what they already plan to address.

0 Likes
CaptainFastcat
Explorer
Options

Probably, yes. I've been assured the dark VRR issue will be addressed in the next release.. whenever that is

0 Likes
jdp117
Navigator
Options

That's the problem. We have no clue when this supposed fix is coming. This has been an issue since Series X release day back in November, does it really take this long to fix?

Anyway, do you think you'll wait for this fix or try and get a return? I'd personally love to send this piece of trash TV back, but that doesn't look promising at the moment.

0 Likes
CaptainFastcat
Explorer
Options

I've just bought it.. only had it a week. There's a lot to like about it, but the "next-gen" hdmi 2.1 features aren't making a great showing so far.

I've got a bit of time on my side and I'm already speaking with the retailer where I bought it so they're aware of the problems I'm having and have offered to exchange for the same, replace with another or a refund.

The problem is that alternatives are limited. Whet else is there? LG CX OLED? Burn in risk and poor bright room performance. Sony XH90? Not as bright and retro fitted hdmi 2.1 features, I'd be amazed if that was a smooth ride.

For now, I just want some certainty that these issues will be fixed soon. Samsung support have assured me they will be, but when is the question they can't answer. Past performance shows a firmware update on a monthly basis, so I assume it won't be too long.

If the issues are fixed within a month, then I'll stick with it. If not, then I'll return it and figure out what to do after that. Hopefully it'll be sorted.

0 Likes