Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q90T Xbox Series X VRR Issues

(Topic created on: 25-02-2021 07:05 PM)
jdp117
Navigator
Options

Hello everyone.

So I've had the Series X for a few days now and have managed to play around with settings in various games. Some of the games I've "tested" are Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, AC Valhalla, FIFA 21... So some quite varied content. 

The issues I'm having are related to VRR. I have noticed that when VRR is enabled, blacks are crushed to death and contrast is incredibly off the scale that all details in dark scenes are lost and bright scenes are really over blown. One of the biggest issues I've noticed is that with Gears 5 in dark scenes (opening mission tunnel sequences for example) there seems to be horizontal patches crawling vertically up the screen from bottom to top. Disabling VRR in the Series X settings menu completely fixes all VRR related issues. I guess the point of this post is to establish whether or not others are having the same issues. It seems as though the only fix is to disable VRR completely. I still leave my general video settings on 4K and 120hz, just without VRR. I have to say I have not noticed any screen tearing in 120fps game play such as Gears 5 Versus or Ori, both of which run at 120fps, so for now disabling it it isn't an issue for me. 

One aside is that OLED owners seem to be having a similar issue with VRR. Seems as though the technology in tangent with these new consoles / TVs is failing to work as intended. 

Anyone got any ideas or experiences of this themselves?

52 REPLIES 52
jdp117
Navigator
Options

The cynic in me thinks that with Samsung's new Neo QLED Mini LED  TVs coming this year, the T model range for 2020 got / will get kind of neglected. I just have a bad feeling about the whole thing, I feel like Samsung don't care as much as they should do and won't rush to fix it when they have fancy new TVs with new mini LED tech and increased hdmi 2.1 support coming this year. 

I wasn't sold on the Sony XH90 last year, which is why I ultimately chose the Q90T. But the XJ90 and XJ95 for 2021 look promising. Hate to say it but the NEO QLED TVs with their revamped Game Mode features do look really good. I'm having serious buyers remorse over this Q90T... 

0 Likes
Riccaw
First Poster
Options

I get horrible horizontal grey patches when vrr is enabled, very disappointed 

0 Likes
Ryle
Student
Options

Any news?? 

0 Likes
jdp117
Navigator
Options

None from my end. I've sort of given up with it now, apparently there is a patch coming to fix the VRR problems, but whatever. I haven't had an update beyond 1460. 

On top of the VRR issues I'm having, I'm also having a problem wherein if I switch my Xbox on without putting the TV to the correct HDMI source first, the TVs interface becomes extremely laggy until I switch to HDMI 4. And then, it takes about two minutes for the TV to actually display the video source (it just hangs on "Xbox connecting to source..." or whatever it says. 

The TV really is a pile of junk. I won't ever buy a Samsung product again. What a waste of money. 

0 Likes
firehouse12
Apprentice
Options

That just happened to me yesterday. Out of nowhere, i never had the problem before. The TV basically froze up almost, what was weirder, as soon as i turned off the xbox, the tv software went back to normal.  I tried to make it happen again and it would not. 

As for VRR (game mode) I couldn't agree more. I purchased my Q80T because of its Freesync VRR, colors do not look good at all.  Just so everyone knows, the 2021 QLED's have Freesync Pro, which only works with new AMD graphic cards. So Freesync Premium (which are on the 2020's) will be the same on the 2021's.  

So my hope, is the "firmware" update they keep talking about, should be released around the time the new 2021's come out in March. 

Phil Hull
Apprentice
Options

I have this same problem. Except I also noticed it on my xbox one x. I was hoping the xsx would look better but it's awful. I don't think game mode looks terrible if you get the settings right. I have everything on except VRR and it looks brilliant but with VRR it is absolutely awful. I also have the source problem. If I don't put the tv on HDMI 4 before turning the xbox on I have to turn the xbox off again, change it to HDMI 4 then turn it back on again or I don't get any signal. Other than these I do think it looks really good in all other areas. 

jdp117
Navigator
Options

@Phil Hull  wrote:

I have this same problem. Except I also noticed it on my xbox one x. I was hoping the xsx would look better but it's awful. I don't think game mode looks terrible if you get the settings right. I have everything on except VRR and it looks brilliant but with VRR it is absolutely awful. I also have the source problem. If I don't put the tv on HDMI 4 before turning the xbox on I have to turn the xbox off again, change it to HDMI 4 then turn it back on again or I don't get any signal. Other than these I do think it looks really good in all other areas. 

To be fair I don't think Game Mode looks really bad. I guess I'm kind of used to it now. However, if you play something like Gears 5 or AC Valhalla in Movie Mode, the difference between this and Game Mode in terms of pure picture quality is night and day. The TV just gets completely nerfed in Game Mode to accommodate low latency. All features like local dimming are reduced to the bare minimum and it really shows. 

But yeah, I've had no further updates and I gave up trying to get a response from Samsung ages ago. They ignored me for weeks. Probably the worst customer service experience I've ever had. I've learned to live with these issues, which for a £1200 TV really is unacceptable. I doubt we will get any sort of significant update / fix for these issues as their new 2021 TVs will be out soon and they will likely just forget about the older models, as is the way with technology in general.

0 Likes
Scarhead
Student
Options

Has the issue with VRR been fixed meanwhile by firmware?

0 Likes
Phil Hull
Apprentice
Options

Nope. Updates have improved the tv as a whole but I can't use VRR. I wish the tv didn't have it, at least then I wouldn't feel like I have a wasted feature that everyone says is amazing. 

0 Likes
jdp117
Navigator
Options

@Scarhead wrote:

Has the issue with VRR been fixed meanwhile by firmware?

Not that I'm aware of. I've switched VRR off on my Series X and haven't bothered turning it back on for months now. There have been several updates since I made the original post, none of them have addressed VRR, so I think it's just a downside of the TV trying to achieve super low latency, reduce input lag and hit 120hz in 4K. 

Funnily enough, during this time I also picked up a 48 inch LG C1 for my spare room. Hooked the Series X up to that to see what it's like and the difference is night and day. VRR is busted on the Q90T and it doesn't look like it'll be fixed at all. Works flawlessly on the C1 though. 

0 Likes