Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q90T Xbox Series X VRR Issues

(Topic created on: 27-11-2020 04:02 PM)
jdp117
Navigator
Options

Hello everyone.

So I've had the Series X for a few days now and have managed to play around with settings in various games. Some of the games I've "tested" are Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, AC Valhalla, FIFA 21... So some quite varied content. 

The issues I'm having are related to VRR. I have noticed that when VRR is enabled, blacks are crushed to death and contrast is incredibly off the scale that all details in dark scenes are lost and bright scenes are really over blown. One of the biggest issues I've noticed is that with Gears 5 in dark scenes (opening mission tunnel sequences for example) there seems to be horizontal patches crawling vertically up the screen from bottom to top. Disabling VRR in the Series X settings menu completely fixes all VRR related issues. I guess the point of this post is to establish whether or not others are having the same issues. It seems as though the only fix is to disable VRR completely. I still leave my general video settings on 4K and 120hz, just without VRR. I have to say I have not noticed any screen tearing in 120fps game play such as Gears 5 Versus or Ori, both of which run at 120fps, so for now disabling it it isn't an issue for me. 

One aside is that OLED owners seem to be having a similar issue with VRR. Seems as though the technology in tangent with these new consoles / TVs is failing to work as intended. 

Anyone got any ideas or experiences of this themselves?

52 REPLIES 52
Rensrakt
Student
Options

How do you know the screen is on 120HZ without VRR? 

0 Likes
Gumpy321
Explorer
Options

By getting the info banner to tell you. 

IMG_20201123_145345.jpg

0 Likes
CAB_Life
Apprentice
Options

Exact same issue with an XSX and the Q80T: massive black crushing and overall screen darkening with VRR enabled. I'm taking this up with Samsung today, but I'll probably be returning it at this rate. 

0 Likes
jdp117
Navigator
Options

I've thought about returning my Q90T as well, but I chose this TV for several reasons and I just don't think there is another TV out there that is suitable for my needs so I'm kind of left with little or no choice. Also, this is my 5th TV I've had this year after several older model Samsungs I purchased at the beginning of the year broke down. I also had an LG C9 for several months which too had a panel failure. I just don't know if it's worth going through that whole process again. I've had this TV for two months now, so a returns in this case is not as simple. However, I was given a direct line to Samsung's technical team from my retailer, so I'm thinking I just call them to see if there actually is anything they can do and how simple of a fix it could be. 

For now I've been playing some games outside of Game Mode (Gears 5 campaign, AC Valhalla in Movie Mode) which look amazing, and I can deal with the latency as they're just single player games. When it comes to playing Fifa or something that needs quick reaction times like Ori or Forza I put it into Game Mode with VRR disabled. It's a pain in the backside but it's all I can really do at the moment. Game Mode generally looks OK if the image is bright and colourful, but it is ***** poor in darker instances. Also, flicking between Game Mode and Movie Mode is night and day difference on any image. Samsung completely nerf the picture quality to achieve that low latency in Game Mode. 

But really, I just don't get where the quality checks are. These TVs are rife with issues in Game Mode. I just cannot be bothered to go through all of this again, I just want the TV to effing work!! 

Edit: Let us know how it goes if you do call Samsung!

0 Likes
MarkeeMark
First Poster
Options

I use movie mode for games where latency is not a factor so I get best image quality.  I switch to game mode for shooters and racing, with HDR on and VRR off.  That's my workaround until Samsung comes up with a solution.  

0 Likes
Gumpy321
Explorer
Options

@jdp117 wrote:

@Gumpy321 wrote:

Being a TV engineer, I have access to Samsung's technical website for accredited service centers. 

I'll be sending them these pics come Monday morning. This is all new technology at the minute. I expected a few bugs. 

I can live without VRR at the minute as the Series X looks and plays beautifully at 120hz without VRR. Gears multilayer is really smooth. 

Oh well that's handy! Please keep us updated if you find out any information from Samsung.

Yeah I agree, I've been playing without VRR since I noticed the scrolling lines basically on day one of having the console. Still looks and plays great. 

I had a reply from them, and I'm disappointed with the answer. 

Basically they're saying from what I can gather is that the set is within spec.

It was a really short and dismissive response, which is why I'm disappointed with their answer.

I'll give them a couple of months to sort (And in the meantime, please contact Samsung and report this VRR issue so that they're aware of this issue) but if it isn't, I'll press them for a refund as this TV is advertised with Freesync but it's not working as intended.

I simply cannot spend this amount of money on a flagship 4K TV and have a HDMI 2.1 feature not work as intended, it's not on. 

0 Likes
jdp117
Navigator
Options

@Gumpy321 wrote:

@jdp117 wrote:

@Gumpy321 wrote:

Being a TV engineer, I have access to Samsung's technical website for accredited service centers. 

I'll be sending them these pics come Monday morning. This is all new technology at the minute. I expected a few bugs. 

I can live without VRR at the minute as the Series X looks and plays beautifully at 120hz without VRR. Gears multilayer is really smooth. 

Oh well that's handy! Please keep us updated if you find out any information from Samsung.

Yeah I agree, I've been playing without VRR since I noticed the scrolling lines basically on day one of having the console. Still looks and plays great. 

I had a reply from them, and I'm disappointed with the answer. 

Basically they're saying from what I can gather is that the set is within spec.

It was a really short and dismissive response, which is why I'm disappointed with their answer.

I'll give them a couple of months to sort (And in the meantime, please contact Samsung and report this VRR issue so that they're aware of this issue) but if it isn't, I'll press them for a refund as this TV is advertised with Freesync but it's not working as intended.

I simply cannot spend this amount of money on a flagship 4K TV and have a HDMI 2.1 feature not work as intended, it's not on. 

I completely agree. It absolutely is not acceptable. I'll be calling Samsung tomorrow and reporting the issue to them myself. I've already had a conversation with customer service which wasn't much help, but I was given a direct line to the technical team by my retailer so hopefully I'll have more luck. From what you've said though, it doesn't sound promising. Not sure if I should just push ahead for the refund now though or wait and hope for a fix. Either way, £1400 on a TV that doesn't work as it should? That ain't on. 

0 Likes
jdp117
Navigator
Options

Well we're closing on a whole month later and still nothing from Samsung. I sent the technical team my video showing the scrolling lines issue, to which they claim I didn't send an attachment, and now after resending the video and several emails and phone calls later they still haven't gotten back to me. I keep being told the technical team will reach out to me, but at this point that is becoming less and less likely. 

Seems as though Samsung are denying / ignoring this issue outright and aren't even letting anyone know if they are working on any sort of fix for it. It's a joke really and one of the worst customer service experiences I've had. 

Samsung, SORT YOUR ***** OUT. 

EDIT: My advice to literally anyone who has experienced this issue and is still within their 28 day return period (or whatever it is for your country / retailer) is to fully take advantage of that and send this piece of ***** TV back. Literally go for anything else because I can bet you right now that if you have any other issues with a Samsung product, you will not be getting any help from their customer service!

daparky
Pathfinder
Options

Got my XH95, recorded a couple of videos playing COD upscaled 4k at 120fps. No ghosting or scan lines in sigh, no dimming bug, no dse. This is how it should be done.

https://youtu.be/2fIob3_qMmE

https://youtu.be/sDI_aRypi_A

0 Likes
Gray4twenty
First Poster
Options

I'm having the exact same issue. Turning off VRR completely fixes it. Except for the fact that a huge reason I bought this tv was for VRR and ALLM.  It's really dissapointing.

0 Likes