Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q85 (QE65Q85RATXXU) sound popping and cracking on external devices

(Topic created on: 05-06-2020 08:24 PM)
Rich12
Student
Options

I’m currently on my third Q85 television set and before I pack this one up and send it back I’m hoping someone can help.

I have a Samsung QLED Q85 (only available in Europe I believe) connected to an Apple TV 4K, fire stick 4K and a PS4. The sound is fine when watching terrestrial tv and using apps through the tv itself, however when watching anything through any of the three external devices the sound pops, breaks and cracks. It’s intermittent, and sometimes there’s no problem at all, but if I notice it on one device, when I switch to another I am hearing the same problem. 

I’ve called Samsung several times and they have suggested it’s a compatibility issue which I find hard to believe given the popularity of the devices I’m trying to connect (I should also say the tv has no problem recognising the devices and is able to set the correct settings on the smart remote). I’ve changed the cables (even though I was already using high spec high speed hdmi cables), tried switching devices in different ports, performed factory resets on all devices, and ensured all software is up to date but it’s still happening. It was the same issue I had with the previous television (that I got replaced) so unless this is a known fault it can only be something I’m doing but am out of ideas.

I’ve made several adjustments to the setting such as turning anynet on/off. I only have the option of selecting PCM as the output. I have the tv connected to a sonos soundbar on a 5.1 setup via optical cable, however I also get the crackling when switching to the tv speaker so i’m confident it’s not the sound system.

Finally, samsung have performed several tests,

and have remotely reset the HDMI ports which temporarily resolved it but low and behold an hour later and it was back.

So all in all I’m pretty confused and all the basic troubleshooting steps I’ve found online don’t resolve the issue.

Samsung have escalated my recent issue with their technical support team, so I will post a response if they’re able to fix it. If anyone knows of anything else I might be missing and should try in the meantime, please let me know.

I love the picture and the tv itself so really hoping I can find a fix. Thanks so much in advance.

99 REPLIES 99
Digidavy
First Poster
Options

Thats good news will hang on to TV now and hope a software update becomes available very soon.

0 Likes
aml_
Apprentice
Options

Can confirm the same effect on my QE55Q80R (UK)

It's horrible when listening on bluetooth headphones.

I also noticed the other night when I was watching a film (via HDMI source) that the headphones wouldn't stay connected. It was OK the following night after trying the SD channel workaround.

A bodge fix is all very well, but if I leave the TV in the hands of the missus she will be even less impressed than I of any hoops that have to be jumped through to make things work. It's bad enough I can't use HDMI CEC without sources autoatically switching, and the hub bar thing appearing even though I've apparently turned that ability off in the settings 😕 starting to regret this...

0 Likes
Charles12
Apprentice
Options

Best of luck in finding a better alternative. I refuse to purchase anything ever again from LG for the same reason - great hardware but rubbish software support.  The world of apps and cyber security is moving too quickly for the TV guys. I f you do not intend to replace every 3 years then the connection to a 3rd part 

box is more important than the inherent capability of the TV.

0 Likes
Elvb
Apprentice
Options
My popping sound seems to have disappeared on Sky since I removed my DVD player and replaced that port with my CCTV connection and now my DVD player is connected directly to the Soundbar.
Maybe it's pure coincidence

Yesterday I was in Sky all day and even watched a movie and had no popping sound
0 Likes
Outlander
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for that Menacesco.  Let's hope Samsung take notice of this sound issue with HDMI devices and come up with an appropriate fix.  Not expecting much but at least there is hope.  Although it shouldn't have to come to this before they reacted.  I'm off now to watch something on an HD channel now the wife has taken an early night!

0 Likes
Digidavy
First Poster
Options

I have noticed a new anomaly on my set.  After leaving the TV on most of the day for testing purposes and just playing back my Humax box on Smithsonian Channel  the lip sync was out by an annoying amount tonight making it impossible to watch.  I have noticed it to a much lesser level before. Hope this is part of the same problem. Holding the on off button down seems to clear it but I had to do it twice.

0 Likes
Digidavy
First Poster
Options

I eventually got through to Samsung via the phone and regrettably it it got me no further to a solution. Be nice if an engineer answered the phone instead of a scripted operator.  So have decided to send it back and get a refund. Looking at maybee getting Sony KD65Xh905 or annother make. Just hope the picture will be as good.

0 Likes
Outlander
Apprentice
Options

After my recent unsuccessful repair by Team Knowhow, in which the main board was replaced, I completed an online survey from Samsung.  Received a letter in the post from Jim Langley, Customer Relations Manager, Samsung, the other day, thanking me for completing their survey but was sorry to learn that I was disappointed with the customer service (used the opportunity to say in detail the repair did not fix the sound issue with HDMI devices).  Samsung said they tried to call me (they didn't) and suggested I call them on 0333 000 0333, which I will soon.  The letter went on to say, as you would expect, how important it is for Samsung to provide an exceptional service when their product is not functioning correctly.  The letter also said they will pass my feedback to their Service Management Team to identify which areas require improvement as a priority.  Finally, thanking me for being a valued customer and looking forward to providing a better service in the future. 

Another avenue of pressure on Samsung I hope to get this sound issue fixed.  Thought I would let you all know.  

0 Likes
Outlander
Apprentice
Options
I don't think the lip sync is related to this sound issue. The trouble with lip sync issues is that the more you notice them the more you a draw to it. In the past I too just restart the tv. Perhaps something for another topic to ensue we keep focusing on this particular sound issue. Thanks for letting us know.
0 Likes
Menacesco
First Poster
Options

Let's hope they react soon for all your sakes. Too late for me though as my set has now gone back. I'm still very annoyed with Samsung as my replacement Panasonic, whilst a very good tv, does not have the same quality of picture. In hindsight I would rather have persevered with the Samsung in the hope of a future fix I think! UPDATE: now that I have had the opportunity to read about picture settings I am more than satisfied with the picture quality. It is different from the Samsung in a way that I would describe as more natural rather than the vibrant intensity of the Samsung. And no sound issues too, although reading forum comments from when the set was first released it would appear the Panasonic had the same, or a very similar, issue. Presumably fixed with a software update? 

0 Likes