Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q85 (QE65Q85RATXXU) sound popping and cracking on external devices

(Topic created on: 03-06-2020 10:45 PM)
Rich12
Student
Options

I’m currently on my third Q85 television set and before I pack this one up and send it back I’m hoping someone can help.

I have a Samsung QLED Q85 (only available in Europe I believe) connected to an Apple TV 4K, fire stick 4K and a PS4. The sound is fine when watching terrestrial tv and using apps through the tv itself, however when watching anything through any of the three external devices the sound pops, breaks and cracks. It’s intermittent, and sometimes there’s no problem at all, but if I notice it on one device, when I switch to another I am hearing the same problem. 

I’ve called Samsung several times and they have suggested it’s a compatibility issue which I find hard to believe given the popularity of the devices I’m trying to connect (I should also say the tv has no problem recognising the devices and is able to set the correct settings on the smart remote). I’ve changed the cables (even though I was already using high spec high speed hdmi cables), tried switching devices in different ports, performed factory resets on all devices, and ensured all software is up to date but it’s still happening. It was the same issue I had with the previous television (that I got replaced) so unless this is a known fault it can only be something I’m doing but am out of ideas.

I’ve made several adjustments to the setting such as turning anynet on/off. I only have the option of selecting PCM as the output. I have the tv connected to a sonos soundbar on a 5.1 setup via optical cable, however I also get the crackling when switching to the tv speaker so i’m confident it’s not the sound system.

Finally, samsung have performed several tests,

and have remotely reset the HDMI ports which temporarily resolved it but low and behold an hour later and it was back.

So all in all I’m pretty confused and all the basic troubleshooting steps I’ve found online don’t resolve the issue.

Samsung have escalated my recent issue with their technical support team, so I will post a response if they’re able to fix it. If anyone knows of anything else I might be missing and should try in the meantime, please let me know.

I love the picture and the tv itself so really hoping I can find a fix. Thanks so much in advance.

99 REPLIES 99
dankec
Apprentice
Options

I've been already reported a solution of this problem (at least here on my tv set):

1. Switch to external device

2. Reset TV (Press and keep pressed power on your remote till Samsung logo appears)

3. Sound problems are gone

0 Likes
Menacesco
First Poster
Options

Do you have to do that every time you want to use an external device? If so that is not a suitable long term solution. I would not want to live with that. 

0 Likes
Andyjt
First Poster
Options

There are two solutions.  The first by doing the reset as described, or more simply make sure you are on a standard definition channel before switching to a hdmi source.

0 Likes
Digidavy
First Poster
Options

I have with my set done what you say and it does cure it but if I switch from my external box in my case a Humax freesat receiver or even a brand new Sony blu-ray and go and watch a HD channel on the TV for a while and then go back to the Humax box the sound starts to break up again. I have spent a full day trying everything that I can and being an ex TV engineer with over 48 years experience  has not helped me to sort it out. I was wondering if you can confirm its 100% cured. I dont want to send it back because the picture is so good. Pulling the aerial out does cure it but it is far from a satisfactory solution .

0 Likes
Digidavy
First Poster
Options

just a point of interest when i reported my fault to my supplier and asked if Samsung   could possibly just change the control box or even get sombody to call and discuss the fault the salesman said that they would not help me because they dont admit or no anything about there being such a problem. That suggests to me they know about it but cant cure it.

0 Likes
Menacesco
First Poster
Options

Send it back to your retailer with a print out of these conversations. There is no satisfactory fix for this problem other than what has been suggested. Therefore, there is no permanent fix. If enough sets are returned to retailers then maybe Samsung will take note. It's disgusting that such an expensive product should have this fault. 

0 Likes
Menacesco
First Poster
Options

Your retailer has a legal obligation to sort out the problem for you and cannot use the excuse that Samsung do not recognise the problem. Threaten to take legal action against the retailer in the Small Claims Court. John Lewis acknowledged their responsibility with me and refunded my money. Thank goodness I didn't buy through an internet supplier. 

0 Likes
Digidavy
First Poster
Options

sending it back seems to be the only solution but the model is now discontinued so I cant even try annother one although it would probably be no better. Richer sounds said I can pay the difference and get the next model up but its quite a bit of extra money and I cannot see how it could be that much of a better picture to justify the extra cost.  Plus I have lost my faith in Samsung for there lack of concern about the problem. I would also be wondering whether the sound would be fault free on that different model also. I help my son installing and hanging TV.s and I have always said to customers that the Samsung sets have in my mind the clearest and most fantastic pictures of all the different makes we install.  Its sad now that due to a sound problem I cannot enjoy the product that I have always recomended and considered an excellent product.

0 Likes
Littledj
First Poster
Options

Realistically the options are 

- try to argue with retailers that the set is faulty, hope they allow you to exchange it for a non Samsung TV and don't insist on a repair (in my view there are few others in the same price range with as good a picture)

- change it to a non HD channel before switching to an external device 

- do the reset thing which only ever fixes the issue temporarily.

- log the issue with Samsung through their official channel as they don't seem to monitor the forums, if everyone links this forum when they do and enough log the issue then maybe at some point we might see a software update that sorts it out.

For me the HD switching has done the trick and given how quick it is to do that over the time I've spent on a call with Samsung on a different issue when I first got the TV (which ended in an exchange) I'll continue doing that. It's not a perfect resolution but it is a resolution none the less. 

0 Likes
Menacesco
First Poster
Options

It is a dilemma. I love the picture on the tv but i do not want to be taking actions, that should be unnecessary, to watch playback from recordings (which I do often) and dvd's. I have decided to go back to a Panasonic set which is being delivered next Thursday. I'll let you know what I think of the picture compared to the Samsung after I've installed it.

0 Likes