Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q80t eARC issue

(Topic created on: 01-02-2021 07:57 PM)
ClamJelly
Journeyman
Options

I recently purchased a Q80t television and a Sonos Arc and am having an issue with the eARC. I have everything in the sound settings set to automatic and when I turn the TV on the sound will come on but then cut away after 5-10 seconds and then keeps happening. 

The only way to remedy this is to turn off and then back on "Dolby Atmos compatibility". Anyone else having this issue with their q80t eARC port.

I am using a hdmi 2.1 cable and have tried 2 other hdmi cables.

95 REPLIES 95
seksimon
Journeyman
Options

I've had issues with eARC also, trying to use LPCM from PS5 and passing it through my receiver.

My devices are :

1) a Samsung 65Q80T on 1460.9 firmware

2) PS5 updated to latest firmware, plugged in HDMI 4 (game mode ON)

3) Sony STR-DH790 AVR, latest firmware supporting eARC, plugged in HDMI 3 (eARC) on Samsung TV

The TV is properly configured, according to Samsung's guide to setup eARC (Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) enabled, Input Signlal Plus enabled on HDMI 3 and 4), HDMI-eARC Mode = Auto, Digital Output Audio For... = Auto)

Here are a couple of symptoms I noticed. First, if the Sound output is set to TV SPEAKERS, then eARC will only output PCM 2.0 signal to receiver. Second, if the Sound output is set to Optical, then eARC will only output Dolby Digital 5.1. Weather i set my PS5 to output Bistream DTS or Bistream Dolby, the TV always outputs DD 5.1 to receiver. When I choose Linear PCM then only LPCM 2.0 is output to receiver. Weird stuff.

If we forget eARC for a second, here are my thoughts on what's going on.

TV SPEAKERS = stereo, hence the firmware output stereo only format, the PCM 2.0 signal output.

Optical = carries DD 5.1 at best (ARC standard), hence the DD 5.1 - only output.

Seems as though eARC isn't working here, only ARC.

Is the firmware falsly resorting to ARC because the Sound output is set to Optical (poor coding)?

Back to eARC, the option for Digital Output Audio For... = Pass-Through is disabled and non-selectable, as many posted, PCM outputs only stereo and Auto well ... see above.

When I plug my PS5 in my AVR I get LPCM, DD or DTS correctly depending on my PS5's setting. So the issue is definitely coming from the TV. Unfortunatly, that way I lose 4k120hz capabilities and settings based on HDMI port selection on TV (game mode etc.)

So why isn't the TV capable of "pass-thouging" the audio. Why is it acting as ARC-only and not eARC.

Zinax
Apprentice
Options

Besides announced everywhere QLED tvs are not able to LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 channels, only stereo. reported in many foruns, open tickets everywhere and they only release new tvs, not adequate firmwares... 😤 

TheBigDogz
Student
Options

My TV has been updated to firmware 1460 recently. I used to experience the symptoms described in my post on p8g once or twice a week.  I haven't had to reset my sound system for a few weeks now.  It appears to have fixed my problem.  Fingers crossed... Until it breaks again.

JBL firmware is still the same as above. 

0 Likes
marc797
Apprentice
Options

eARC doesn't appear to work on a Samsung for more than a couple months, or the next firmware update. Very common as seen here and Samsung doesn't respond, even on their own website. Very questionable. Get a Sony and avoid any issues.

Lars Norway
Student
Options

I recently purchased a 85"Q80t television and a Samsung hw q800 soundbar .  They should match perfectly , but they don't.  I have this e-arc , q-symphony , Dolby Atmos issue everybody here talk about.   Tired of calling Samsung support now.  Would like to buy a soundbar that works with the TV , any suggestions ?    Worst case scenario, get another tv to. ( But Samsung support most apps , so would like to start with only the soundbar ) 

0 Likes
Lars Norway
Student
Options

"does not appear to be an issue affecting compatibility through Samsung devices. "

Not true. 

Same issue with Samsung soundbar hw q800t

TokyoFerret
Apprentice
Options

My personal experience with this TV paired with my Denon AVR3500X is as follows:

The sound for the center speaker channel goes to the right speaker, when the TV is configured 'correctly' for ATMOS. This means all speech and action that should appear to be coming from the screen, comes from the right hand speaker instead.  The only way to avoid this is to disable eARC support on my TV.

I have all the correct settings on both devices and I am using a certified HDMI 2.1 cable. If I connect my PC directly to the AVR and test ATMOS content it works, but the Q80T Apps don't without eARC turned off.

I have checked all my cables and run the sound test, and cable test, as well as factory resetting my AVR; unplugging and resetting my TV; and ensuring the latest OS/Firmware is installed on both - but nothing resolves this problem.

MGOUDAPP
Voyager
Options

Issue solved with sonos update

primusjohn
First Poster
Options

Thank you ClamJelly!

This worked like a charm for me.

My Samsung Q80T was not able to recognize Sonos ARC and eARC. Followed your instructions and it worked. Thank you again.

0 Likes
Members_ag0aUND
First Poster
Options

Which solution do you mean?

0 Likes