Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q80t eARC issue

(Topic created on: 14-07-2020 05:23 PM)
ClamJelly
Journeyman
Options

I recently purchased a Q80t television and a Sonos Arc and am having an issue with the eARC. I have everything in the sound settings set to automatic and when I turn the TV on the sound will come on but then cut away after 5-10 seconds and then keeps happening. 

The only way to remedy this is to turn off and then back on "Dolby Atmos compatibility". Anyone else having this issue with their q80t eARC port.

I am using a hdmi 2.1 cable and have tried 2 other hdmi cables.

95 REPLIES 95
CvH7
Explorer
Options

following this thread here. Following a similar one on the Sonos forum, will update on either side with any useful updates. 

Currently switching my Playbar to the Arc (tomorrow) and hoping I don't have the same issue. I have the Q95T (2020) model with the one-connect box.

Do users here only face issues with Atmos content? meaning, does all else 5.1 surround still work properly/quality

I am fond of the sound I get through the Playbar but wanted the Arc to be up to date for future stuff (eArc) and more codecs are accepted on the ARC than Playbar.

thanks

0 Likes
rjstann
Journeyman
Options

You get 5.1 surround and also atmos via the netflix, prime apps on the TV. What is missing is lossless atmos that you get from bluray and games players.

NiiloDurain
Apprentice
Options

Im getting the same results even though I have a Samsung Soundbar (2020)

0 Likes
Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi CvH7

Its a bit more complicated than that i'm afraid. So HDMI ARC works with Sonos ARC, and you are able to get DD5.1 and Compressed Atmos via this route where the source allows it (Netflix for example). When you enable eARC on the Q95T, you get no sound from any source, even uncompressed versions such as from ultra 4k blu.

So this is an issue on eARC working at all, and it should when connected to an eARC device. Both Samsung Q95T and Sonos ARC are eARC devices so they should be able to talk to one another, and currently for myself and other users, thats not happening.

Its not down to codecs or content either, with eARC enabled as auto, it should play sound from all sources, and have the ability to play uncompressed sound. 

That being said, the ARC is very impressive when coupled with a Sub and rears - if anything too impressive. This issue is around the investment in eARC and I firmly believe is an issue with the one connect box.

Hope this helps.

Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi NiiloDurain

So no sound on Samsung Soundbar via eARC enabling set to auto?

0 Likes
NiiloDurain
Apprentice
Options

I think I replied to the wrong one.

I have a Q80T.

I'm getting sound, but there is a second delay when using Atmos/Dolby Digital.

Only "Standard" Sound is getting pushed through. 

Mainly referring to Xbox in this case.

But connected directly to the soundbar it works, but then I am losing certain capabilities on my Xbox. I hope this issue is resolved before the new consoles arrive.

Atmos works fine from TV to Soundbar and Xbox to Soundbar, but not Xbox to Tv To Soundbar via eARC.

0 Likes
CvH7
Explorer
Options
Thanks a million for taking the time to write a detailed answer! You really helped me with this, as I will feel comfortable swapping the playbar for the new Arc then. Obviously also care about the eARC issue and agree this needs to get resolved between the two parties.... Will keep watching this thread for an update
0 Likes
CvH7
Explorer
Options

An update after getting the Playbar switched to the ARC. Installed everything and sound comes through when the "eARC" function on the TV is "OFF" only. When switched to "Auto", no sound what so ever... 

When eARC is off, the sound comes through fine and works properly, except on the PS4 Pro.

There is a setting on the PS4 Pro for Audio to be either "linear", "Dolby" or "DTS". Choosing the "Dolby" or "DTS" option, the sound still works and sounds great, however there is a second or so delay in the sound so this doesn't work. (ex. take a shot in Call of Duty and wait for a second to hear the sound of that shot....) So setting has to be "Linear" to work without lag. 

Have tried different setting combinations on the TV to try and get sound with eARC enabled, but no luck so far. Shame really....

Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Feedback from Sonos

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information.

The behavior you have reported and have experienced has already been notified directly to Samsung developers for further investigation. 

Sonos and Samsung engineers are working together to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

- Once there is an update, we will make sure to notify the affected customers.

Thanks again.

With best regards,

Olivier H.
Sonos | Customer Care | Contact Us
0 Likes
rob_g66
First Poster
Options
This is definitely a Samsung issue. I have a 75 inch Q80T with a Samsung Q90R ATMOS soundbar and am having great difficulties with this combination and eARC. Tonight I am not able to get sound working at all through eARC. I've had constant problems with sound sporadically not working since I bought this TV 2 weeks ago. The soundbar has always worked fine in ARC mode, but just recently there was an eARC update for it.

Rob
(Canada)
0 Likes