Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Q60T and Dolby atmos

(Topic created on: 29-05-2022 11:34 PM)
Iraklis T
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I have a Samsung Q60T 55" which supports Dolby Digital Plus and has an eARC port, but I don't think it supports Dolby Atmos in particular.

I am considering purchasing the Sonos arc soundbar which supports Dolby Atmos.

i understand that for Dolby Atmos to work, every ingredient in my home theater setup has to support Atmos. In other words:

• The movie I’m playing, whether it’s physical, downloaded, or streamed, has to be encoded with Dolby Atmos (via Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus).

• The hardware I’m playing it on has to be able to decode Dolby Atmos or pass it along to a Dolby Atmos-capable sound system without altering it. This is known as “pass-through.”

• The app I'm using e.g., Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, etc. must be capable of delivering Dolby Atmos data to my playback device.

• And my TV, A/V receiver, or soundbar must be Dolby Atmos compatible.

I've been reading lots of articles in the past few days, but, still this is confusing to me. Since my TV supports Dolby Digital Plus and has an eARC port and the soundbar I'm considering buying also supports Dolby Atmos, if I find Dolby Atmos related movies on Netflix etc. Will I very able to experience Dolby Atmos?

Thanks in advance for any help! It will be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Iraklis

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
MarioL3
Explorer
Options

This TV support Dolby Atmos, when you play movies o series from AppleTV* on your soundbar have to appear the logo Dolby Atmos, if this not appear you need to change you HDMI cable, with Netflix it’s the same, or course search the movies with 4K UHD with the logo Atmos, the main problem it’s that with Disney plus and HBO max, Samsung tv Don’t get the code, for play Dolby atmos, about Amazon video, you can fin Dolby atmos only their movies from Amazon like aeronauts or series like Jack Ryan.

So, of course the difference between Digital plus and Dolby atmos it’s complete different, also when you connect a sound bar with Atmos on your TV appear a legend saying You have a device who reproduce Atmos on the screen, the point is that depends many things 

your internet connection 

you cable HDMI

you soundbar support Dolby atmos 

and only you will find on 

AppleTV and movies that you buy on iTunes 

nextflix if you have the premium package 4K UHD

amazon in the originals 

thats it ! 
No Disney plus 

no HBOMax 

no Starplus. 

0 Likes
Iraklis T
First Poster
Options

Hi MarioL3,

Thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated.

That is great then. I will go ahead and purchase the Sonos arc. I understand there is not much dolby atmos content at the moment across the various platforms, but this can only be improved as the time goes by as more and more dolby atmos content will released.

Thanks again. 

Kind Regards,

Iraklis

0 Likes
Solution
MarioL3
Explorer
Options

In my experience the best Dolby atmos is with AppleTV+ and Apple iTunes movies that you can buy, once per week they have very good promotion prices, and some of them have Dolby atmos 

Then Nextflix but even if they have Dolby atmos it’s really good with all the series and movies, but you will find many 
Then Amazon Video it’s really good for 2 reasons with your TV you will watch with HDR10+ And Dolby atmos with the originals of Amazon, in this case, you can not see the logo Dolby Atmos, but in your soundbar will appear Dolby atmos 

another things remember only it’s available in the original language 

only AppleTV+ have several language 

the rest of the streaming only with the original language 

because in Amazon you will find many Hindi movies with Dolby atmos but it’s only way to listen the movie 

Another thing only AppleTV movies like Ready Player One, Sully, Spider man Home Coming have and exceptional Dolby atmos, not all the movies have a really nice Dolby Atmos 

0 Likes
Iraklis T
First Poster
Options

Wow, thanks again for all the information!! You have done a lot of research on this across many different platforms and giving me all this insight is amazing!!

Currently, I only have netflix but I am considering getting Disney+ ... Having read your comments I will have a think about Apple TV now haha.. Black Friday is only in 4 weeks so I'll get ready for it 🙂

0 Likes
Members_j7BXIPT
First Poster
Options

My guess is that the Q60 from 2021 have a eARC port but the inside wiring conecting is regular HDMI standard. The TV cant pass thrue Atmos, the highest is DD+. Supersad and cheap trick with all the fancy settings tricking you in the TV.

Everyone with certain systems can confim this by checking this in the system in Sonos for example. 

I have tried two sonos ARC, highspeed cables and on all platforms.

If anyone really know they are getting Atmos not just by Netflix telling you in the app please tell me. Wasted so much time and money so far.

0 Likes
Mrinmoy
First Poster
Options

Hi  was this resolved? 

I have a similar question.  I also have Q60 and from the manual, I see it allows Dolby Digital+ with Atmos streams that are inputted from external devices if the audio device connected via HDMI (eARC) supports Dolby Atmos. It is my understanding also that it cannot decode Dolby Atmos. I am planning to buy a JBL Atmos 5.1 soundbar,  which has HDMI arc port. Will atmos work?

0 Likes
Iraklis T
First Poster
Options
Hi Mrinmoy, eventually, I bought the Sonos Arc sounbar, and it can play Dolby Atmos content from netflix, so it should work for your soundbar, too.
0 Likes