Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung MU Series 2017 Smart TV's will do nothing after Samsung splash screen

(Topic created on: 27-08-2017 09:31 AM)
JamesRogers
Explorer
Options

I have two 2017 Samsung MU series smart TV's (40" and 60"). Yesterday morning I tried to power them on. After the "Samsung Smart TV" start up screen you cannot access the TV, just a blank black screen.

both TV's less than two weeks old.

i phoned Currys and Samsung support who both stated that this is a known issue and a global fault on all 2017 MU series smart TV's. At present Samsung do not have a fix or a way of delivering the fix to effected devices. Apparently there are A LOT of effected smart TV's in circulation. Many many thousands of devices! 

My choices are;

1/. Wait for a fix

2/. Back to store for exchange of full refund

Is anyone else having this issue? 

Does anyone have an update about a potential fix and delivery method?

i don't really want to take them back as I like Samsung but if there is no fix I have little choice. The communication from Samsung on this issue is poor. Nothing on their website. 

Thanks 

42 REPLIES 42
Lastv8
Apprentice
Options

Same here, I said I wasn't prepared to wait indefinately for a fix. I've got an engeer booked for this monday, I quiered the bank holiday thing but the actual local repair centre rang and confirmed they would come monday.  I'll post on here either way.

0 Likes
Trevnal
Journeyman
Options

I was posting on the other thread, but i will post this hear too:

Well the good news is I was to have an engineer out tomorrow morning, but instead he came out today, and has not long left with my TV updated and working at long last.
It is good my TV works now, but it is a real shame about the rubbish customer service that has been provided. I do hope others get their TV's sorted fast. Make sure everything is disconnected from your TV other than areal lead.
My Tv took nearly 15 minutes to update and then needed to be re-set up like a new TV, but otherwise it is now all good.

Lastv8
Apprentice
Options

Ah I'm glad yours is fixed.So they just do a local firmware update? Not replacing the main board of anything like that? Good I was hoping they would open it up and start buggering around inside replacing parts. 

0 Likes
Trevnal
Journeyman
Options

No the guy just disconected all the HDMI's and then once his usb drive was pluged in, he just restarted the TV and let the TV update itself. No screwdrivers or other equipment was needed, thank goodness. He did have his own service remotecontrol for Samsung TV's.
I really hope this works for everone else.

Jpd1863
Student
Options

Ryan

Engineer has called me yesterday and said they were coming today, they rang an hour later and said they need parts so cannot fix until Tuesday due to bank holiday!! We're on holiday from Monday which now means my wife has to take Day off work the following week to sort it!! From other posts it appears no parts are needed?! I therefore want this escalating to progress before we go away. It's taken you a week to put out a formal statement after it appears you were put in a corner as the media got hold of it and you were being slated on social media! I would also add you have not offered any sort of compensation for the distress, inconvenience and time wasted to seek a resolution. Your brand has been severely tarnished again!! You've gone from fire starting phones to defunct TVs, up until last week I was a huge advocate of your brand as had a previous tv (still used by my son) for over 10 flawless years, as well as a home cinema system too.

Outsourcing your calls to  dis engaged overseas call centre staff to handle calls has also been disappointing, the script they follow mustn't say be empathetic and apologetic they are just like " the computer says no".

As my grandmother would say "what a performance!". You are truly an appalling company with no ethics I do hope that potential customers think twice before giving you there business in the future.

As noted above I want a resolution before Sunday, it's not acceptable.

I would also note You might think my tone is strong and highly critical however I assure you I am restraining my tone and language to how I truly feel.

regards

Jonathan

judiec
First Poster
Options

hi my tv is affected to can you please contact for sloution

0 Likes
Lastv8
Apprentice
Options

The Samsung engineer has just left and the tv is working again. Just plugged in a USB and did a firmware update. Took about 20 minutes. So good to have it working again. 

I hope you're all sorted out soon.  

Paulx101
Apprentice
Options
Considering it's just an update by usb, makes me wonder why there is not the option to do the installation ourselves if we feel confident about such things. Would save the company a lot of money.
There appears from what others have written, a need for some code to make the usb port active, Why are Samsung scared to let us have the relevant info needed to do the installation .
What are they hiding from us?
Its about time they were honest with us, maybe that would put a bit more faith in the company.
Also some sort of recompense for us, for the time, phone calls, and loss of earnings due to the engineer's visit.
You are 350 billion pound company, you should act like one.
jw24
Journeyman
Options
@Paulx101 wrote:
Considering it's just an update by usb, makes me wonder why there is not the option to do the installation ourselves if we feel confident about such things. Would save the company a lot of money.
There appears from what others have written, a need for some code to make the usb port active, Why are Samsung scared to let us have the relevant info needed to do the installation .
What are they hiding from us?
Its about time they were honest with us, maybe that would put a bit more faith in the company.
Also some sort of recompense for us, for the time, phone calls, and loss of earnings due to the engineer's visit.
You are 350 billion pound company, you should act like one.

I did some digging and found the code to get into the "Service Menu" (when in standby, using the standard remote, press Mute, 1, 8, 2, power) and tried this a few times with no joy. After entering the code the screen does a very quick blueish looking flash but then nothing again. 

For what its worth, I plugged in a USB with the latest FW from the website and booted the TV. It seems the USB port is active, as the TV wrote a file to the USB drive (looked like a device identifier) but didn't seem to do anything else. I wondered whether it would just auto-update if it saw a USB with FW on it - similarly to how a PC would boot from USB / CD if it were a Windows install media. No such luck.

I totally agree that Samsung should just give us the procedure to boot from USB / perform this FW update ourselves. I have asked for it in two other threads now but am yet to have a response.

To anyone out there is due to have their set repaired imminently, if you could try and find out what the procedure is and post here that would be awesome (unless a Samsung mod comes up with the goods in the meantime - hint hint).

0 Likes
JamesRogers
Explorer
Options

Hi all

Quick update from me

I swapped my Samsung TV's (2 x MU 40" and 55") for Panasonic EX700B models (40" and 58") as was sick to death with Samsungs service and attitude. 

To be honest I was expecting an slightly inferior product.

As a neutral customer I have to say the Panasonics are a much better product in virtually every department. They look better, they are more solid in build, the smart features seem slicker and are more informative and the picture quality is in a different league. I can't really fault the Panasonics, if I was forced to pick one area I would say that the remote control on the samsung is better/simpler but then again panasonic have one remote v's the two which ship with the samsung which always confused me. 

Also did a software update and it didnt destroy my TV. 

So in summary I am very pleased and this is an option for anyone who decides to return their Samsung to the store. The price of the panasonics were slightly cheaper and allowed me to get credit for some wireless headphones. 

J

0 Likes