Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung fail to record error

(Topic created on: 13-10-2020 09:22 PM)
Shane_Laird
First Poster
Options

Has anyone managed to resolve this issue? 

model is UE65NU7400 

Samsung fail to record error

External hard drive WD 1Tb : has been tested on another tv with no faults, has been tested on pc with no faults, has been tested with MacBook and no faults.

For the past month I have been getting random recordings appearing that have not been scheduled and programs that were scheduled for recording that never did.

All recordings now fail

Pause live tv fails

All previous recordings are still available for playback. I have noticed if you choose to delete a previous recording via the Samsung tv, it will say it has been deleted successfully (no change in available memory, stays at 72% available which flagged up the first concern)  if you come out of the menu and power down the device, when you go back on to view recordings they all appear again which then says to me the tv isn’t communicating with hard drive correctly.

Tested deleting recordings from hard drive on other devices and all working correctly.

I have tried a full reset on tv.

Full power down and restart again.

Auto retune

Manual retune

Still no change to circumstances.

Any help from anyone that has had this issue before is greatly appreciated

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Hal1
Apprentice
Options

Hi there

I have exactly the same problem. In fact this is he second time this has happened.  The first time I did all the resets, manual tuning, power down etc but didn't work.  So I assumed the problem was with the external hard drive.  I could play programmes that were recorded on it, but not record anything new.  And the thing was - when I deleted programmes, the available memory didn't change.  So I returned the hard drive (was 1 year old) and got a partial refund - but I lost all the content that I had recorded.  Purchased new hard drive (different brand) - all fine for another 12 months but now the same has happened.

So question is whether it is the TV or hard drive.  The only real way to test is to put a different hard drive into the TV (unfortunately I don't have one).  If the TV works with the different hard drive then we know there is a problem either with the TV talking to the other hard drive - or the hard drive itself.  Perhaps the next thing would be to reset the original hard drive and see if this fixes the problem - but that means wiping all those lovely recordings!

0 Likes
Hal1
Apprentice
Options

Having had a look through what is on-line - the only solution that seems to work is to re-format the hard drive - have you tried that?

0 Likes
Shane_Laird
First Poster
Options

Hi, I ended up having to get the tv sent away under warranty to richer sounds. Thankfully it had 6 years warranty when I purchased it. They checked over the tv and hard drive, repaired and sent it back. I questioned what they found to be wrong with it and they advised there was a fault on the main board on the tv itself. Had no issues with it since then. 

0 Likes
Hal1
Apprentice
Options

OK - Just for the record and anyone else who has this same problem - I seemed to have fixed it.

I plugged the hard drive into the PC, went to properties>Tools>Error checking.  It found an error on the hard drive and then fixed it.  Exited the drive from the PC and back to the TV.  I could now delete TV programmes and the file size on HD reduced.  So a step in the right direction.  But still wouldn't record.  So took HD off and back to the PC to check again for errors - found another error and fixed it.  Back to the TV - still wouldn't record. Switched TV off at mains for 10 second and then back on.  And horray....it was all back to normal (whatever normal is nowadays...)

The problem happened when I set too many programmes to record - I think this causes the whole system to malfunction.  I think you can make 30 recording reservations - but be careful, if you record one series which has 10 episodes - that is 10 reservations....

0 Likes