Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 4k TV Audio Cutting Out

(Topic created on: 21-02-2019 07:07 PM)
SalK
Student
Options

Hello,

I bought a brand new Samsung 4k UHD TV (Model: UE40NU7120) from Argos about 4 days ago and i'm having an issue with the sound cutting out. This issue occurs both over HDMI and when i connected my hitachi sound bar via digital optical cable (I have now disconnected the soundbar and I am using the TV speakers). After about 45 mins to 1 hour the sound just cuts out. The strange thing is when the sound cuts out the tv remote also stops working with the exception of the power button. I have to hold the power button on the remote for around 5 seconds which will turn the tv off and when i turn it back on the sound is back but after 45 mins the sound cuts out again. I've tried every fix available on the internet, i've done multiple factory resets, changed the sound options, i've done everything yet it is still happening. Posting on here is my last resort before taking the tv back for a refund. Can any body help? 

71 REPLIES 71
mpaoletti1
Journeyman
Options

Comcast as well. Interested to see what happens.

One night the sound went out completely. I was like great stuck in a pandemic and sound goes out. Accidentally switched to TV+ and sound worked so that meant it was the HDMI/cable tv. Called Comcast and they rebooted my system and I don't think it has happened since but the other night we did hear like a stutter that was a prelude to sound going out but the sound stayed on.

Interested to see what Samsung comes up with.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Edgar66
Journeyman
Options

Samsung sent a repairman.   Without even diagnosing it, he arrived with a circuit board in hand.  I asked if he knew of these problems with the sound.  He looked befuddled and said no.   I asked if the board will fix it.  He said a 50/50 chance.  I said don't bother, maybe screw it up even worse.   He encouraged me to return the tv.  It's too much bother for me to unscrew the legs, repack it and drive back to Costco.  I am keeping the set but will bring it into an authorized repair center before the 3 year warranty is up.

0 Likes
deeray
Apprentice
Options

Back again. I chatted with Samsung. Such a joke!  They act as though they have never heard of this problem before. They are a huge company, so could care less! I'm curious if anyone is using an external soundbar with this TV and if you are noticing the same issues?  I was considering getting one.  Thanks. 

0 Likes
Patwhite1978
Journeyman
Options

Yes,  swapped cable box twice,  didn't help.  We have a technician coming in a few days to repair. However,  another person posted, they had success,  by navigating tuo settings, sound, expert settings, HDMI input,  change from bitstream to PCM

0 Likes
Bigscrick
Apprentice
Options

I read to try changing from Dolby Digital to PCM. I am having the same issue and about to try it. 

0 Likes
mpaoletti1
Journeyman
Options

Technically challenged, how do you do that?

Thank you for the tip.

0 Likes
Bigscrick
Apprentice
Options

In menu, 

Sound

Additional settings 

Menu may be set up a little different. But should be close. 

0 Likes
Atl
Apprentice
Options

pls. provide an update on your success by changing sound setting

0 Likes
Patwhite1978
Journeyman
Options

Changing the setting

In expert settings,  hdmi audio format,  change from bittssteam to PCM. This has worked!!  It's been 6 days and we have had the tv on all day to be sure.  I don't understand why Samsung support does not know this. And why isn't PCM the default?

Patwhite1978
Journeyman
Options
It works!!
0 Likes