Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 4k TV Audio Cutting Out

(Topic created on: 20-12-2020 01:24 AM)
SalK
Student
Options

Hello,

I bought a brand new Samsung 4k UHD TV (Model: UE40NU7120) from Argos about 4 days ago and i'm having an issue with the sound cutting out. This issue occurs both over HDMI and when i connected my hitachi sound bar via digital optical cable (I have now disconnected the soundbar and I am using the TV speakers). After about 45 mins to 1 hour the sound just cuts out. The strange thing is when the sound cuts out the tv remote also stops working with the exception of the power button. I have to hold the power button on the remote for around 5 seconds which will turn the tv off and when i turn it back on the sound is back but after 45 mins the sound cuts out again. I've tried every fix available on the internet, i've done multiple factory resets, changed the sound options, i've done everything yet it is still happening. Posting on here is my last resort before taking the tv back for a refund. Can any body help? 

71 REPLIES 71
Tedson
Journeyman
Options

Guys we had a big post on these exact sound issues and how to fix on another thread which il post here: 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Samsung-Q85-QE65Q85RATXXU-sound-popping-and-cracking-on-exter...

but to save you reading it this is how to fix your sound popping / drop outs:

when switching to ANY HDMI source you must make sure you were watching a NON HD channel on Freeview / Freesat or comparable service before switching. Eg if I switched from itv2 to any HDMI source I won't get ANY sound issues... but if I switch from BBC 1 HD to my PS4 or APPLE TV or sky box I will get the constant HDMI sound popping issues. Hopefully for everyone on here who has just bought a new Samsung tv or has been living with one for months now with this issue it works as a 100% fix just so long as you remember to not have a HD channel selected / playing when you switch to HDMI source.

sadly this issue effects nearly all 2019 Samsung TV models as shown in the link above I posted and we've been battling with Samsung for over a year with no software update being released to fix it. Now it looks like all 2020 models are still effected. They have done a copy and paste job with the firmware and just changed the tv theme colour from white to blue 🤦🏼‍♂️. Those holding out for a firmware update to fix this... we have been waiting since June 2019 for one. Good luck 😉 

rg55
First Poster
Options

As I sit reading this my sound cut out. Been doing this for over a week. I thought it was my comcast service since i just got comcast. But after changing wires and box and remote still same problem. I just changed the settings to PCM and the sound came back immediatly. Fingers crossed. I'll be back in a few days to update.

0 Likes
whooooop84
First Poster
Options
Thanks so much! I just switched from DirectTV where all I did was change channels to get the sound back to only streaming - and was having issues finding something to kick start the sound. But switching sources kicks it to start. I can deal with that until I'm ready to replace the TV -- I'll be sure to go LG or some brand other than Samsung!
0 Likes
rg55
First Poster
Options

It's been 3 days and the Sound has not cut out. TV is on almost all day long. Maybe the PCM thing solved it. It's a 55" NU6900 model. The best buy tech did mention that the cable box and TV has to be set to the same setting. That may be the reason that I started having the problem after I switched cable services 2 weeks ago.

0 Likes
cminer72
Journeyman
Options

Setting the TV to PCM shouldn't matter.  That's what the TV would output to another device (receiver, soundbar).  But the device that's feeding to the TV (Cable box) should be set to PCM if you are only using the TV speakers.  The TV can only do stereo and that's what PCM is.  You're not really losing anything using that setting.  Seems like the Samsungs struggle decoding Dolby signals.  You'd think they could figure it out.

0 Likes
Edgar66
Journeyman
Options

You might have not noticed anything yet in 3 days.   I have it set to PCM.  The TV sound will go into a stutter and return.  Whereas on Bitstream, it cuts out and I have to change the channel to regain the sound.   I figure PCM is the better alternative but I am done with Samsung.

0 Likes
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Not sure if what I have is same issue but I have a 2020 q90t. I have a firestick plugged into tv and audio set to pass through to receiver (audio is out of sync and cannot be fixed without a negative value if I choose auto or PCM)

sound is fine but literally like clockwork, every 45 mins I believe it is, the sound will just cut out for about 1 second and then comes straight back and then 45 mins later, same thing happens. 

any ideas?

0 Likes
AvidStreamer
Journeyman
Options

I reported having the same problem as most folks here (i.e. little stutter sound, followed by sound being muted, with the only way to correct being changing channels (and missing whatever I was watching on broadcast TV!!!)). Well, I finally got annoyed enough that I tried to return the TV to Costco (where I bought it), but it was beyond 90 days, so I called Samsung (still under warranty). A VERY knowledgeable serviceman came out, and told me that Samsung had actually developed a software fix for this problem about three weeks earlier... and the funny thing is, I had not had the problem for the prior two weeks (the longest I had gone without it). I had recorded several occurrences on my iPhone about three weeks prior, to show the tech when he came, just in case it didn't occur when he showed up. Net, the Samsung Tech replaced the circuit board (since the occurrences had been so recent), but said he was very confident that I would not see the problem again. It has been a couple months, I have have seen no recurrence of the problem, so props to Samsung for finally solving this problem. I'm guessing there won't be many new posts under this heading to report this problem.

0 Likes
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Assuming that this is a different issue to what I have. I don’t get the stuttering audio, it just muted every 45 mins for a second or 2. 

0 Likes
Options

This worked for me thanks for the info.  Switched out hdmi cable :smiling-face:

0 Likes