Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

**Samsung 2020 Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)**

(Topic created on: 14-06-2021 09:08 AM)
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Good afternoon. 

ive recently purchased a Q90T. I came from a 2015 Samsung which had no frame rate issues at all. 

The Q90T is great in every way apart from when watching Freesat or Now TV. Both of these broadcast in 50hz/50p. So I assume it’s something to do with this frame rate. 

what happens is that when there is a small amount of motion on screen such as an interview or no panning etc then the screen shows something similar to the frame rate dropping in half and everything stuttering. Once motion picks up or shot pans around then it goes back to normal. 

I had all picture clarity settings set to off but I then played around with settings such as judder reduction and blur reduction etc to see if I could eliminate the stutter but nothing works. 

its really bad watching football on free sat or now tv as it’s stutters quite a lot. 

weirdly, not all programmes stutter. I’ve watched some catch up tv on now tv as well as movies and these show perfectly without any stuttering and all content on Netflix etc are all fine as well. 

I am on the latest firmware. 

any ideas if this is common or if there is a fix as nothing I’ve tried works. 

thank you 

477 REPLIES 477
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi User2000 ...

Rejecting is a hard decision to make but a relief when the set is finally picked up ... I was optimistic for a few weeks at the beginning and thought probably as you did ... it's a documented problem on this forum and others therefore Samsung will be working hard to fix it ... then I realised that it went back to the middle of last year and alarm bells went off.

It's really a shame and a waste of a good TV ... when working correctly it is stunning but ruined by what seems like a really minor problem.

Sony A9 or A8 is at the top of my shortlist at the minute but can't rule out the 2021 QN Samsung yet, can't find one anywhere to check it out though!

I know what you mean about big screens, have you thought about using a projector ...   a 1080P HD set up is equally as stunning as upscaled 4K on a 'smaller' TV ... downside is the room needs to be in darkness so useless during the day ... I have a permanent set up for films and box sets ... Walking Dead, love it! ...  120" screen with 5.2.2 Dolby Atmos or DTS HD 7.2 can scare the living bejusus out of you!

Good luck with your decision , it's a lot of money we are spending and maybe Samsung will get the message.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Samsung were always a great TV for me ... I still have a 40" plasma from 2004 set up in the garage and it has never missed a beat and far outlived the more recent LG that suffered from burn in ... what has happened to Samsung in recent years?

Must admit that I felt great relief handing my Q85T back to the Curry's driver yesterday, no doubt I will be going round in circles now chasing the refund and then deciding what to buy next ...

0 Likes
shurl77
Pathfinder
Options

I was an ardent samsung person, no longer, as I said I will not do business with them again, not that it will trouble them, small cog etc....and yes the relief to get rid of a pile of rubbish is a good one, good luck with the refund you never know curry's may be behaving like professionals for a change lol

0 Likes
galactus75
First Poster
Options

"The Q90T is great in every way apart from when watching Freesat or Now TV. Both of these broadcast in 50hz/50p. So I assume it’s something to do with this frame rate. "

This was news to me, so then there is no problem when viewing e.g. 4K blu-ray?

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi Galactus75 ... maybe not relevant and I'm not trying to speak on behalf of the person you are quoting but my experiences with the Q85T:

4k Blu-ray ... perfect with no issues and the settings auto changing to 50hz/ 24p ... not sure if it's the Denon AV receiver that detects this or the TV but there was no stutter or juddering even with 'picture clarity' settings switched to 'Off', although a little blurred in action shots and credits unreadable ... good settings for me on Blu-ray were Blur Reduction 10 and Judder Reduction 3.

OTA Freeview ... Coronation Street and The Chase randomly stuttered whether watched live or recorded on a Humax PVR. The picture was also very dim and dark on these shows compared to all others.

Amazon Prime ... Every episode of 'Outlander' at some point would stutter.

The Workaround ... watching a compromised picture in 'Game Mode' ... I mean that it looked similar to my standard HD LG.

Upscaling ... entirely dependent on source with some good and some not so good results.

ITV 3 ... cycling Tour de Dauphine .. adverts were good in between but broadcasting 'Eurosport' footage was more like Standard Definition.

Antiglare Screen ... it works and the best I've seen in my environment yet, I will miss this element.

Conclusion ... A great TV ruined by what seems like an easy fix. No amount of fiddling or resetting during my six weeks of ownership gave peace of mind or  allowed us to enjoy watching without the inevitable quote ... 'did you see that, it's doing it again'

There are enough complaints in the public domain for Samsung to sit up and take notice, the final nail in the coffin for me was after talking to Samsung Chat Line and they  do not acknowledge there is an issue.

Mine was returned for a full refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

0 Likes
GKSeba
Apprentice
Options

Few minutes ago I had a call with Samsung service. I emailed them yesterday by pasting url to this thread and question if they are aware about this problem (mentioned that i have it on my Q80T)... She said that they never heard about such issue (!) and they scheduled an appointment with technician :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye: Is it a joke ?!

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi GKSeba ... unfortunately not a joke but dishonest tactics, they told me exactly the same thing last week and that was the tipping point for me to reject mine as 'unfit for purpose'. They are indirectly confirming that they aren't looking for a fix if they don't admit to there being an issue.

The law is on your side if you want to reject it ... Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Up to 30 days after purchase ... you don't have to accept a repair or replacement.

30 days to 6 months ... they are entitled to one go at repair or replacement.

I was relieved beyond belief when mine went out the door .... probably wasted a good hour everyday with settings and then emails on top during six weeks of ownership. 

0 Likes
dave42358
Journeyman
Options

Could this issue be related to certain older source devices?

I have a Humax HDR-Fox-T2 which is a fairly old box now. I have a folder of recorded test footage that always reproduces the movement problem on my Q90T. However if I connect my 2013 laptop to the TV via HDMI and play the exact same footage (transferred over the network from the Humax) the movement problem is not seen.

Ideally the TV should cope with any HDMI source but I'm starting to wonder if the reality is that some older  HDMI devices trigger a bug in the movement processing.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi Dave .... I spent six weeks chasing this problem before admitting defeat.

I agree with you, it could be down to the source but then Samsung should make it clear in their marketing if that is the case ... there is enough information in the public domain pointing Samsung towards the issues but they don't acknowledge any problems when you speak to them directly and that for me was the defining moment to reject.

I could recreate the stuttering by playing a recording from the PVR through the Q85T but also play simultaneously through a projector, only the Q85T would stutter and both are fed from the same source through the dual monitor outputs on the Denon. 

New HDMI cables, factory resets and every combination of settings on the Q85T, Humax PVR and the Denon AVR3400 Amp and the only solution was to run in 'Game Mode'

A lot of positives with the Q85T and I genuinely would have kept it but for the zero prospect of a fix ... great for a bright room, no reflections, no burn in worries, no picture degradation over time, great Wi-Fi connection ... but if you can't immerse yourself in a normal everyday programme without expecting the inevitable stutter then it's not fit for purpose.

Almost bought the Sony A8 last night but started reading the negative reviews ... therefore back to square one and holding off until there is more feedback on the 2021 Qleds.

No issues with the old standard HD LG for now.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Just a little update ... Q85T was collected on Saturday 12th June and Curry's had refunded on the 15th ... pleasantly surprised and no complaints with the ordering, delivery or pick up but it was a battle with the Customer Services Team establishing that they were solely responsible (in this case) and not the manufacturer. 

0 Likes