Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

**Samsung 2020 Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)**

(Topic created on: 07-06-2021 09:16 AM)
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Good afternoon. 

ive recently purchased a Q90T. I came from a 2015 Samsung which had no frame rate issues at all. 

The Q90T is great in every way apart from when watching Freesat or Now TV. Both of these broadcast in 50hz/50p. So I assume it’s something to do with this frame rate. 

what happens is that when there is a small amount of motion on screen such as an interview or no panning etc then the screen shows something similar to the frame rate dropping in half and everything stuttering. Once motion picks up or shot pans around then it goes back to normal. 

I had all picture clarity settings set to off but I then played around with settings such as judder reduction and blur reduction etc to see if I could eliminate the stutter but nothing works. 

its really bad watching football on free sat or now tv as it’s stutters quite a lot. 

weirdly, not all programmes stutter. I’ve watched some catch up tv on now tv as well as movies and these show perfectly without any stuttering and all content on Netflix etc are all fine as well. 

I am on the latest firmware. 

any ideas if this is common or if there is a fix as nothing I’ve tried works. 

thank you 

477 REPLIES 477
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi Shurl77 ... thankfully I reported the problem to Currys within the statutory four weeks and I believe it's their poor handling and communication skills that has dragged this out so long ... I've had responses from nine different people, some contradicting each other and I couldn't make it any clearer that I will not accept any form of repair or replacement on a TV that hasn't worked to spec since day one.

There must be a mountain of these returned TVs sitting around somewhere, a bargain gaming monitor for someone as it only seems to work consistently in 'game mode' ... can't find the Q85T for sale on Currys website anymore either.

Going to have a look tomorrow at more TVs ... still at a loss at what to look for but I will be stopping off at Currys first and asking some probing questions 🤣

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Just had an interesting chat with 'Bilal' on Samsung's website ... this chat service is described as 'expert'

Made a few enquiries about the new QE55QN94A and asked if it is affected by stuttering and juddering.

Of course not ..... it seems this one is perfect in every way!

I also asked if they are doing anything to address these issues that plague the 2020 models ... and you've guessed it ... they are not aware of any issues with the 2020 models.

Well, if this employee is being represented as an expert then he really needs to read this forum or it indicates the total disregard for the customer.

Doesn't fill me with any confidence now after that conversation, if they are claiming there is nothing wrong, and clearly doing nothing about it ... the trigger is almost pulled for me!

0 Likes
dave42358
Journeyman
Options

I have this issue also on my Q90T and have an engineer coming next week. Based on what I have read there will be no point to the visit but at least I can demonstrate the problem with some clips I have saved on my Humax DVR that always produce the problem. I am not going to allow him to to repair or replace anything. If no solution can be found I am now inclined to get a refund on the TV and replace with a non Samsung after this hugely disappointing "flagship" TV. 

So my question is this, to those that have replaced their Q90Ts what did you go for and what are your comparitive reviews? I may even go OLED.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi Dave, you aren't on your own ...

I still like the Q85T picture quality when it works correctly as well as the anti reflective screen ... our living room has a vaulted ceiling with skylights and this is the first TV that we've been able to watch clearly during daylight without the curtains drawn.

I've asked for feedback from owners reviews on Curry's website regarding the latest Samsung QN 2021 models and had six answers so far with no reports of jumping or juddering ... so pending a refund that's one possibility for me but I would also like to see the Sony with real world source like BBC or ITV to see how it upscales ... the Sony Centre were unable or unwilling to demonstrate!

Not too sure about an Oled because our last LG suffered from burn in and to add more confusion LG supply the screens to Sony ...

But I'm like a dog with a bone, still confused, still in talks with Curry's and hoping for a positive outcome.

Good luck Dave, please keep us updated.

Regards ... Tom

0 Likes
shurl77
Pathfinder
Options

Tom, I can testify to the Sony's upscale capabilities, at one point me and the Wife thought we were watching 3D, anyway you pay's your money and takes your choice so good luck, btw if you go for your money back with Curry's they can be very slow indeed in their refund so  take care.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi Shurl ... Curry's are picking up the TV this Saturday for a refund, had to stand firm and it's taken 23 emails to make sure they understood their obligations ... they tried their usual scripted runaround tactics to stall and delay. I'm sure it will be a battle and will still have to chase for the money like you've said.

The old LG is going back up in the meantime until I find a replacement.

Had a wander round Currys looking at different TVs yesterday ... not a single 2021 Samsung QN in sight anywhere and they are still flogging the Q85T which was a surprize!

All the sets from Sony, Samsung, LG and Hisense looked similar to my eyes and stunning ... even wore my glasses to see if I could see any faults ... but I did like the look of the BRAVIA XR55X94JU ... another £500 more than the Q85T at the minute ... and it was easy to make direct comparisons in the shop which was a bonus.

If you don't mind me asking, which model did you go for in the end?

All the best Shurl .. I'll keep this updated. 

0 Likes
shurl77
Pathfinder
Options

Eventually ended up with the  Bravia KD48A9BU 4K HDR Android and yes I have to agree damned expensive but I have now got over the shock of having to pay more and I am completely delighted with the set, wonderful, and ir was a pleasure to watch TV without the judder for the first time after a 4 month period of Engineers etc. May I say good on you for getting rid !, awful TV for the money and in reality samsung should be ashamed of themselves but they won 't be the engines of their business will continue to turn oblivious to the fact that they are supplying 'unfit for purpose' products, shame on them. The reason for the 48inch is a small footprint in the room so could not go any bigger but it works for me. Good luck and hopefully they will refund you in a timely manner and be professional, took me 5 calls to curry's waiting 30-45 minutes each time, then getting cut off now and again, it was a nightmare, good riddance to samsung and curry's I will not be doing any business with either of them ever again.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Thanks Shurl, the A9 range are cracking TV's  and definitely on the shortlist, I also do like the A8 and will take a look at the QN Samsung when they are in store.

Q85T was taken away by Currys today and can't say I'm sorry it's gone, can't fault the ordering or delivery process and the drivers were very helpful but it has been a battle of wills with the customer services team getting to this point and anticipate further problems actually getting the money back into my account ...

Curry's offered a 10% refund to keep the set as is ... I would have done a deal at 30% and used it as a gaming monitor but they didn't reply 🤣

Also recorded the Q85T re - boxing and the drivers picking up for my own protection, the driver let it slip that they have had a few of these returned ... and that's also recorded!

Onwards and upwards ... old LG back on the wall for now and relieved not to be constantly on the look out for stuttering and juddering.

Thanks again for your input Shurl77 👍👍

0 Likes
user2000
Explorer
Options

Samsung should be ASHAMED of themselves for this dispicable behaviour.

I bought an 85 Inch QE85Q80TATXXU expecting it to last me some considerable time.  I was looking forward to the full array dimming after years of edge lit blooming.

This is quite frankly one of the only good things about the QE85Q80T.

The juddering and stuttering on OTA 1080i content, i.e. most broadcast TV in the UK is undeniable and reproducable every time.

I have owned 4 of the last 6 iterations of the top mid range sets from Samsung and not one of them displayed this characteristic.

I also bought the set for the HDMI 2.1 port and eARC capability, so to have to choose between VRR 120Hz on on the PS5 and XBOX SX or having the sound coming out of my Denon Atmos amp is not acceptable whatsoever and clearly goes against the advertised specification:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Qled-and-Frame/Buyer-beware-2020-QLED-eARC-LPCM-issues/td-p/1598...

The DSE and vertical banding on the TV is atrocious for something so expensive and near the top of the range.

Not to mention the flickering backlight I noticed after a recent firmware update that is pronounced during low light scenes - The Walking Dead became almost unwatchable.

I picked this TV up for a "bargain" £2499 back in December 2020, what I assume was a misprice on the Argos website as it is currently still £2999.

I patiently waited for fixes via firmware, following all the experiences of others with these obviously inherent problems here and on places like AV Forums, to no avail.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-2020-qled-series-tv-motion-judder-stutter-frame-rate-firmwa...

No firmware update has solved these problems.

So just before the 6 months period was up, crunch time in the UK under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, I contacted the CEO office at Argos, after being fobbed off on the phone as usual, explained all the issues and I had a brand new replacement with me within a week, a solution that I explained was unlikely to work.

The result:  more of the same.  The ONLY thing I can say that is slightly better is a much less pronounced DSE.

But watching any 1080i content OTA – still a horrible, juddering mess and clearly some kind of software fault.

That Samsung bury their head in the sand and have done nothing about this is nothing short of corporate suicide for me.

So the next time we need to replace our phones, tablets – even washing machine and fridge – they will not be Samsung branded, as they are just now.

This whole incident has left a rather sour taste in the mouth.

What to get now though?  I am hampered by cost and when you’ve gradually increased screen size to 85” then there is no going back!

So this TV will be going back to Argos for a full refund (now that I have allowed them their one chance to repair or replace the set) should a magical firmware fix not be forthcoming in the next week.

I’m looking at an LG 86NANO866PA - £2999 so within my budget.  No, it is not going to be perfect, but at least I will be going in with my eyes open!

I am certainly not going to spend £4k+ on the equivalent Samsung 2021 model.

Shameful stuff from Samsung over the QLED 2020 models.

0 Likes
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Completely agree with all you’ve said, it’s shameful that they've not been open and honest and held their hands up to agree that something is wrong in the sets. The reason for this is undoubtedly because they would then be liable to either fix the issue or refund everyone that bought the TVs. 

I’ve was told a while back (info was shared I think on here and also at av  forums) by someone who has some more knowledge of the situation that a fix is not in development as they believe it’s the content being played and not their TVs so just goes to show they have no interest in their customers and are not ever going to fix them. 

luckily the game mode fix does stop the juddering but it does then bring in more banding and picture quality not as good and HDR not as good in this mode but it’s something I’m learning to live with as that’s the only option for me and on the whole this mode is fine but it’s still unacceptable that we have to run in game mode just to stop judder. 

the last update also lowered the HDR brightness as others have also mentioned due to some EU regulation which again is unacceptable as the tv was released prior to this regulation coming in yet they’ve made the TVs worse for no reason. Someone mentioned before that they were lucky enough to see in store two of the same TVs running the two different firmware versions and the tv running latest version was not as bright. 

as you have said, due to these issues with the TVs, they’ve lost a lot of customers and a lot of loyal customers as well. I for one used to get a lot of Samsung products including phones and TVs. No more though as the quality has gone spiralling downwards (my tv has a number of dead pixels which were there from new and apparently acceptable these days due to nature of the manufacture process) and the aftercare is non existent so I will do what many others have done and when my tv needs replacing again it will probably be a Sony or one of the other big brands but it will not be a Samsung again. No idea why they have gone down this route as I always believed that Samsung was the go to company for TVs etc. 

0 Likes