Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

**Samsung 2020 Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)**

(Topic created on: 05-06-2021 03:25 PM)
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Good afternoon. 

ive recently purchased a Q90T. I came from a 2015 Samsung which had no frame rate issues at all. 

The Q90T is great in every way apart from when watching Freesat or Now TV. Both of these broadcast in 50hz/50p. So I assume it’s something to do with this frame rate. 

what happens is that when there is a small amount of motion on screen such as an interview or no panning etc then the screen shows something similar to the frame rate dropping in half and everything stuttering. Once motion picks up or shot pans around then it goes back to normal. 

I had all picture clarity settings set to off but I then played around with settings such as judder reduction and blur reduction etc to see if I could eliminate the stutter but nothing works. 

its really bad watching football on free sat or now tv as it’s stutters quite a lot. 

weirdly, not all programmes stutter. I’ve watched some catch up tv on now tv as well as movies and these show perfectly without any stuttering and all content on Netflix etc are all fine as well. 

I am on the latest firmware. 

any ideas if this is common or if there is a fix as nothing I’ve tried works. 

thank you 

477 REPLIES 477
shurl77
Pathfinder
Options

Yes I had issues with them, but highlighted the fact that I was within my legal rights to return the TV, eventually they gave in and good riddance to bad trash ensued, suppose they may be having so many returned that they are offering resistance. If they persist in been resistant contact your local trading standards who may intervene on your behalf, do not give in you are well within your rights. I do not do business with samsung or curry's any longer both businesses are a disgrace !

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Maybe a step forward from Currys regarding a refund but after 21 emails back and forth I am nearly pulling the trigger on the Q85T, balls in my court at the minute and I have a complaint drafted to send to Consumer Rights Association and my credit card company if it drags on much longer.

Now trying to find an alternative TV, still in two minds about the Q85T but not convinced enough about the Sony after todays instore demo!

Had a drive down to the local Sony centre today and to be brutally honest the reflection back off the screen in daylight is the biggest reason for not wanting to go down this route ... the Samsung beats it hands down in this respect ... I put up with the Sony Salesman patter, he didn't know I owned a Q85T, and then I remembered why I prefer to read expert and real opinions instead of the pseudo scientific reasoning as to why the Sony is a significant upgrade over a Samsung, not that this salesman was biased in any way or give me wrong information about the Q85T 😒

Like I said, still in two minds ... Samsung is great for watching during the day in a bright room and stunning at night ... if it weren't for this dam stuttering it would be perfect for my needs.

Like everyone else with this issue I have gone round in multiple circles and tried every combination over the last six weeks, you think you've cured it and it comes back.

My latest is yet another hard reset and gone with factory picture settings in 'Movie' with its Picture Clarity settings ... 10 on blur and 3 on judder ... I thought that was the magic setting, it never missed a beat, no stuttering in panning shots and minimal blur on moving credits. The Soap Opera Effect isn't as bad as on my previous LG and I could live with it ... tend to watch movies through the projector so no issues with 'SOE' there.

The problem persists with Amazon Prime watched through the PS4 and this is when it starts to stutter ... usually for about 1- 2 minutes at random times then it will stop and behave until the next episode ... it has happened on every episode of Outlander through series one to where I am now at the end of series two ... it also stuttered through the Prime TV App in the beginning but can't test again because I can't get ARC to work now for sound back to the Denon!

All my sources are fed into a Denon AVR3400H and the video output is set to 'Auto' and fed from the ARC monitor out to HDMI 3 eARC on the Q85T.

Haven't noticed any stutter from the Humax PVR on live broadcasts or recordings, games play great from the PS4 without using game mode, it automatically changes to HDR and no problems with Blu-Ray discs either ...

The one last test I am doing tonight is using an ethernet cable between my router and the PS4 instead of Wi-Fi to see if it cures the stuttering on Amazon prime ... clutching at straws but it's the only thing I haven't tried.

My conclusion is that the Samsung has really knocked my confidence about buying any brand of 4K TV so, if this Samsung Community has any influence with Samsung then please get them to sort it out ....

0 Likes
shurl77
Pathfinder
Options

Tom, I was exactly the same, samsung have an inherent problem with the software and they know it but choose to be in denial, I returned my samsung as 'unfit for purpose', understand your comments in regards your choices but I went for a Sony and in complete honesty I have not looked back, I have decided that neither samsung or curry's will ever have any business from me, their CRM is best described as pathetic. After my research which was quite lengthy do not go for the LG and thats all I can say, good luck to you going forward.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Thanks Pathfinder, I'm going to need it ...

Well, connecting the PS4 via a LAN cable made no difference, stuttering is still there on Prime.

ARC refusing to work and the 'smart' remote doesn't retain it's settings to control the Humax PVR .... it does if you continually reset it but who thinks that is acceptable ... 

Not sure how Currys can test for the issues as it is completely random with the stutter and at the minute only evident on Amazon Prime, I have a fear that they will take it to wherever it goes and will find nothing wrong with it and simply return it denying a problem ... I've already refused a repair under the CRA 2015.

At a complete loss now as to what to do ... I can hand the Samsung back but have yet to see a better TV that handles daytime viewing in a bright room.

The Sony I looked at yesterday was certainly razor sharp but it was viewed from a USB 4k demo source ....  there was no facility offered to demonstrate real world upscaled SD or HD ... also the salesman was a bit of a 'tool' (my wife's description!) and in total denial about the reflection clearly visible on the screen 🤔

I agree with your conclusions, my last TV was an LG and it suffered from burn in ... my PC monitor is also an LG and it has a vertical row of yellow pixels showing permanently ... not going to risk another LG.

I strongly suspect that Samsung are unable to provide a fix for the 2020 range after so long and they will do nothing for what must be affecting a lot of their customers with this problem, maybe they can't replicate what we are seeing ... very frustrating as you will know from your experiences!!

0 Likes
shurl77
Pathfinder
Options

Totally agree, frustrating is the word, samsung know it has a problem and these TV's were released 'unfit for purpose', they have had many returned rest assured and now they are getting concerned with the number of returns they are getting and are simply standing their ground and have put themselves into business denial. I truly believe they have little to no interest in their customer base and are purely focused on profit and we are casualties of their disgusting behavior, they will not change unless the Directorship changes, best rid of them Tom ! and good riddance. Good luck !!!, unfortunately I cannot offer any further advice except to state and reiterate the fact that samsung's behavior is absolutely disgusting.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Thanks Pathfinder ...

As an experiment this morning I re-watched an episode on Prime that was stuttering badly through the PS4 but this time used the TV App ... and would you believe it didn't stutter once. No settings were changed and the only thing different would be that the TV hadn't been on for several hours beforehand ... maybe something overheating causes the stuttering?

Done yet another hard reset and have managed to get the Audio Return Chanel back to the Denon.

Humax PVR, PS4 Blu-ray and games are all still playing without any problems, no issues with sport causing stutter or blur or anything ... just appears normal to me.

Couple more episodes of Outlander tonight and we will view through the Prime TV App, now that the sound is working again, and see what happens.

I'm holding my breath now in hope, but it really has become a challenge to get this to work and not at all what I signed up for when buying this TV .

Still in two minds what to do and still worried that Currys will not find any issues, they are saying that they don't accept the complaints that have been witnessed by us on this or any forum as a valid reason for rejecting and have to see it for themselves!!

Does Samsung actually run this forum? ... if they do it's really about time they took notice.

0 Likes
monacoville
First Poster
Options

"I strongly suspect that Samsung are unable to provide a fix for the 2020 range after so long and they will do nothing for what must be affecting a lot of their customers"

It's not a case of them being unable to fix it, more that they have no interest in fixing it. With the exception of app updates (which they are contractually obligated to update), the 20 range is dead to Samsung now and they will only focus on the 21's. If major updates aren't done within 6 months of a set coming out, it's done and dusted.

They have many years of form for this.

0 Likes
shurl77
Pathfinder
Options

Agreed, disgusting !! no other word for it, well I am free of samsung and their pathetic behavior forever !, will never buy any of their products again, as if they care !!!, sad Business !!!!

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Even more confused now ... no stuttering at all on Prime last night viewed through the TV App ... but there was a definite stutter during the live broadcast of 'The Chase' before it ... I genuinely thought it wasn't going to happen anymore on Freeview after being without this stutter for a week!

The same source of viewed material plays perfectly through a projector onto a 120" screen ... they can't even use the argument of stuttering or juddering being more obvious because of the bigger screen in this case.

Still in the same boat regarding rejecting but will pursue Curry's to see what they propose ... I just don't think the issue will manifest itself in their workshop and I will be landed back at square one with a TV that can't handle real world viewing.

Never had so many issues with a new product, I am probably too foolish or optimistic to believe that this can only be affecting a minimal number of TV's and astounded by the lack of Samsung's concern. 

I will keep this updated.

0 Likes
shurl77
Pathfinder
Options

I went through this, had an Engineer come to my home on 4 occasions, first he replaced the main board, that did not work, then the power board, that didn't work either, so in essence I had a replacement TV, I never for one moment thought it would work because the concensus is that it's samsungs software, they know it ! but choose to deny it. All your going to get going forward is batted from one ***** to another and you will not get a resolution, once you have exhausted all of the 'waste of time' Engineer visits declare the unit as 'unfit for purpose' and demand your money back, you will have to go in hard I am afraid else you will just end up with a pile of ***** like a lot have.

0 Likes