Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

**Samsung 2020 Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)**

(Topic created on: 03-03-2021 10:52 PM)
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Good afternoon. 

ive recently purchased a Q90T. I came from a 2015 Samsung which had no frame rate issues at all. 

The Q90T is great in every way apart from when watching Freesat or Now TV. Both of these broadcast in 50hz/50p. So I assume it’s something to do with this frame rate. 

what happens is that when there is a small amount of motion on screen such as an interview or no panning etc then the screen shows something similar to the frame rate dropping in half and everything stuttering. Once motion picks up or shot pans around then it goes back to normal. 

I had all picture clarity settings set to off but I then played around with settings such as judder reduction and blur reduction etc to see if I could eliminate the stutter but nothing works. 

its really bad watching football on free sat or now tv as it’s stutters quite a lot. 

weirdly, not all programmes stutter. I’ve watched some catch up tv on now tv as well as movies and these show perfectly without any stuttering and all content on Netflix etc are all fine as well. 

I am on the latest firmware. 

any ideas if this is common or if there is a fix as nothing I’ve tried works. 

thank you 

477 REPLIES 477
Richr87
Journeyman
Options

Just piping up to say i'm still struggling, been keeping an eye on the AVforums thread about it too.

I'm hearing of the US software fix but no sure how true it is because if there was a fix why would samsung still be fobbing off customers rather than saying there is a fix coming in a week or so.

I hear people saying take it back as its not fit for purpose which i understand in principal i'm just not sure if its that simple. I brought my TV from Currys in November so am sitting at about 3 & half months at the moment. Surely i cant just pack it in the car, turn up at currys and they will accept it purely based on my say so.

I have been chatting to Samsung on Facebook but its getting me nowhere so far, no acknowledgement from them there is a known issue so far.

One thing i have noticed is.....I've realised i've only ever noticed the issue through my SKy Q box, 90% of watch we watch is through this. I have never had any issues with blu rays i play through my PS4 and we also watch Netflix directly through the App on the Samsung TV itself. - Now today ive come downstairs to my wife watching something on Netflix and its shocking Judder wise. Ive just realised its the Netflix app through Sky!, so we have just stopped it and watched it on the TV App and the exact same show no judder issues. If it's a problem with the TV vs what is being broadcast how can it work perfect on the Netflix app through the TV but not the Netflix app through Sky.

0 Likes
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

It depends on what you are watching. So, I don’t have sky q but I have Freesat. Now some programs on there are fine and no slow down judder. Whereas others have extreme frame rate slow down etc. 
It also happens on the in built apps, again dependant on content you watch. 
sports for example on now tv is horrendous. However movies and shows on now tv play back absolutely fine. 
blu rays are the same on the PS4. However, I have also played fifa on the PS4 and guess what, slow frame rate judder is on that as well. 
so it’s not really device specific but content specific. However, the fact you are noticing judder more on the sky q will probably be down to fact of how sky q is broadcasting content and to be honest this sounds like a different issue to what we have on here. The issue we have is frame rate slow down which normalises when motion picks up again. 

Could the judder you are experiencing with sky q be down to fact that Netflix content is primarily 60hz usually on all devices I’ve used. However, sky q could be forcing it to play back the 60hz content at 50hz which on these TVs ive noticed brings in judder which isn’t as noticeable on other TVs ive owned or own. Eg. Running now tv through fire stick plays at 60hz but the content is actually being broadcast at 50hz. This causes Noticeable judder on the q90t, whereas the Panasonic tv I have from 2012 plays back the same content judder free. 

not sure if anyone else on here also believes that this is what’s happening regarding sky q?

but again, it sounds like a completely different issue to me. 

0 Likes
Richr87
Journeyman
Options

You might be right to be honest, this netflix issue i'm mentioning was pretty much constant judder....however the usual issue i have is the best way to describe it is when someone moves quickly it goes slow and then catches up but in the slit of a second. It usually when a scene has cut to someone and they move quickly as well then if its a continuous shot its fine but the next moment it cuts to someone else the issue can appear again.

I put earlier on in this forum the one evening we have coronation street on (a recording from a previous night), every 30 seconds or so i probably noticed a judder. I then went back to this recording the following day and could not find a single judder all the way through...which i can only assume is the the software in the TV acting how it should where as the majority of the time it doesn't.

Staying on Coronation Street, some nights its fine, other nights it is not..and we always watch it after its been recorded on a SKy Q box..again this backs up that sometimes the TV/software behaves as it should.

0 Likes
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Yeah most def a software issue as game mode cures the slow down judder completely for me and I believe others. Why can they not take that part and put it in an update so that we don’t have to turn on game mode to watch tv (or certain shows at least)?

0 Likes
user2000
Explorer
Options

@Richr87

You will need to allow Currys one chance to "fix" the TV before the 6 months is up.

A failed fix then gives you the right to your money back under the Consumer Rights Act.

Good luck with that, these companies tend to think they are above the law, or they forget their obligations.  Samsung UK are at it themselves if you bought the TV from them according to at least one poster on AV Forums!

Stick to your guns, and hopefully you bought it on credit card for Section 75 protection meaning your card company is jointly liable?

LEESTAR
Explorer
Options

I’ve broke, can’t watch this junk anymore so I’ve gone through the painful experience of speaking with somebody from Samsung about sorting an engineer visit. 

Engineer is booked on the 16th March so I’ll be in touch. Few things they throw at you is blaming Sky or STB so I explained it happens in TV APPs too like BBCiplayer. It’s a perfect example if any of you guys in the U.K. have to do what I did today and that’s allow them to use your phone as a camera to see what you’re seeing, watch eastenders.

Also another thing you might be able to throw at them which I’m experiencing is, when playing in game mode with PS5 or Nintendo switch turning game motion plus off makes my screen washed out. 

I found out it’s another common fault with this model https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/incorrect-colors-on-q80t-when-game-motion-plus-is-turned-off/...

Not everyone has it because when I tried to calibrate my PS5 settings watching vince from HDTVtest he was able to switch this particular setting off without issues. 

DaneB
Journeyman
Options

Does anyone know when new firmware will be avilable for EU?

But to be honest highly doubt that it will bring some benefit, people are reporting on a lot of sources but there is no answer from Samsung, it's such disappointing behavior against customers! 

0 Likes
LEESTAR
Explorer
Options

I don’t know but this guy sheds some light to what has happened in the new update. https://youtu.be/hBgzw9OMhtk

0 Likes
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Still find it strange that on that video posted above that there’s not really any mention about the sever judder. Maybe it’s because most people with the tv are only using for gaming as most of the comments seem to be from people with ps5’s etc. Maybe they just aren’t noticing the same issue we all are. 

shurl77
Pathfinder
Options

All the Engineer will do is swap boards, that will be a total waste of time, it's a software issue and Samsung know all about it but choose to ignore it, nobody knows why, maybe they can't apply a fix, once the Engineer has done his fiddling about, declare the TV as unfit for purpose and get another make, I have been through this Engineer BS, sent mine back and got a Sony, brilliant picture and judder free.

0 Likes