Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

**Samsung 2020 Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)**

(Topic created on: 04-12-2020 02:47 PM)
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Good afternoon. 

ive recently purchased a Q90T. I came from a 2015 Samsung which had no frame rate issues at all. 

The Q90T is great in every way apart from when watching Freesat or Now TV. Both of these broadcast in 50hz/50p. So I assume it’s something to do with this frame rate. 

what happens is that when there is a small amount of motion on screen such as an interview or no panning etc then the screen shows something similar to the frame rate dropping in half and everything stuttering. Once motion picks up or shot pans around then it goes back to normal. 

I had all picture clarity settings set to off but I then played around with settings such as judder reduction and blur reduction etc to see if I could eliminate the stutter but nothing works. 

its really bad watching football on free sat or now tv as it’s stutters quite a lot. 

weirdly, not all programmes stutter. I’ve watched some catch up tv on now tv as well as movies and these show perfectly without any stuttering and all content on Netflix etc are all fine as well. 

I am on the latest firmware. 

any ideas if this is common or if there is a fix as nothing I’ve tried works. 

thank you 

477 REPLIES 477
Jay108
Voyager
Options

Dear, Moderator do you know if Samsung aware of this issue? 

LEESTAR
Explorer
Options

My experience is Sky Q apps (Disney & Netflix) are completely broken. The jumping or frame drop is horrendous to the point where my wife can notice things as shes obvious to details. Football UHD is superb. Today I thought I’d try a Blu ray on PS5 and got zero issues with and without messing with picture clarity.  So I then installed Disney on PS5 and got zero issues! Maybe it’s something to do with how PS5 handles HDR bandwidth ? I watched https://youtu.be/kObwjX75WUo explain how the settings work. It must be an issue with how the tv reads the set top boxes output ? By the way I’m using a certified 2.0 HDMI cable for sky & 2.1 HDMI for PS5 in HDMI slot 4. Also I switched game mode off whilst watching stuff on PS5. I’ll test an actual Ariel this week to watch free view. I know you guys might have already tested this but I may not have read it. I’m just doing my own troubleshooting. 

0 Likes
ben_holm
First Poster
Options

I've been following this thread ever since I got my Q60T (43" 2020) model. Watching live TV or any of the built-in apps (Netflix and Prime) is causing very bad judders. Turning clarity options on or off doesn't really solve the problem. To me it very much looks like the Hz and FPS aren't in sync. I'm based in the UK.

Last night I had a revelation that I wanted to share here, with the hope that it might help with the investigation of the issue:

Using my Xbox Series X does NOT show any of these judder issues. What do I mean by this? If I watch Blurays, Netflix or Prime on the Xbox, the content looks perfect. No judder, no motion issues. This is with Game Mode turned OFF. (Playing games with Game Mode turned on also works great.). This tells me that the TV can work very well, and it is likely a software issue that's somehow tied to the Hz and FPS of content. Until there's a fix from Samsung, I will simply use my Xbox Series X for most content consumption, as the TV otherwise is performing really well.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

I am not familiar with Xbox, but I assume you can’t watch the live channels such as BBC1 and ITV? Xbox only solution for Netflix and Amazon and Disney I assume.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

Has anyone had any update from Samsung on this issue?  I am bit undecided what to do? If Samsung have no plans to fix this issue then I want to return my q95t. 

Pumba1968
First Poster
Options

It's funny I've had my TV for 3 weeks Q80T 55inch couldn't work what was wrong with my TV, thought maybe it was my kodi box playing up.

Originally had a Sony bravia 1080p TV  absolutely stunning picture, then swapped brands to a Samsung, pretty disappointed to be honest it's been 7 years since buying the new TV. My model was bought in Australia, haven't noticed judder on YouTube or ps5, but definitely streaming TV, hope this fixed soon Samsung 😕😕

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

My previous 2016 KS TV picture quality was amazing HD, SD and UHD.  Only replaced as it developed a fault.  Find it strange that Samsung are not aware the issues with 2020 Qled TV.  

0 Likes
ben_holm
First Poster
Options

That is correct. No Live TV this way.

0 Likes
wackowizzard
Student
Options

I just want to chime in and let you know that I also have this issue.

Motion handling for 50Hz content is terrible when Picture Clarity Settings is set to 'off'.

I live in Belgium and using the cable box provided by the provider (Telenet) this is clearly an issue.

I didn't notice this on my previous Samsung tv.

Any idea if this will handled in a future firmware update? Or is this something to live with?

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

I think this is a major issue on 2020 QLED. Many people have reported or given up and return the TV. What I don’t know is if Samsung has acknowledged this issue and if they plan to fix it. Very frustrating. 

0 Likes