Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

**Samsung 2020 Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)**

(Topic created on: 30-11-2020 06:33 PM)
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Good afternoon. 

ive recently purchased a Q90T. I came from a 2015 Samsung which had no frame rate issues at all. 

The Q90T is great in every way apart from when watching Freesat or Now TV. Both of these broadcast in 50hz/50p. So I assume it’s something to do with this frame rate. 

what happens is that when there is a small amount of motion on screen such as an interview or no panning etc then the screen shows something similar to the frame rate dropping in half and everything stuttering. Once motion picks up or shot pans around then it goes back to normal. 

I had all picture clarity settings set to off but I then played around with settings such as judder reduction and blur reduction etc to see if I could eliminate the stutter but nothing works. 

its really bad watching football on free sat or now tv as it’s stutters quite a lot. 

weirdly, not all programmes stutter. I’ve watched some catch up tv on now tv as well as movies and these show perfectly without any stuttering and all content on Netflix etc are all fine as well. 

I am on the latest firmware. 

any ideas if this is common or if there is a fix as nothing I’ve tried works. 

thank you 

477 REPLIES 477
Jay108
Voyager
Options

I have qe85q95T.  Very disappointed with this TV.  1. Can’t switch off auto local dimming. Even if you switch off eco settings etc.  
2. dark scenes look terrible. Get ghosting contoured effect.  I tried all different setting. 
3. sky q HD picture terrible on this TV. 
4. unfortunately I had this TV over one month so can’t return it. 😞

5. I read so many reviews before buying this TV.  No one reported these issues. 
I paid over £4K for this so called flagship 4K TV.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

I have qe85q95T.  Very disappointed with this TV.  1. Can’t switch off auto local dimming. Even if you switch off eco settings etc.  
2. dark scenes look terrible. Get ghosting contoured effect.  I tried all different setting. 
3. sky q HD picture terrible on this TV. 
4. unfortunately I had this TV over one month so can’t return it. 😞

5. I read so many reviews before buying this TV.  No one reported these issues. 
I paid over £4K for this so called flagship 4K TV. 

0 Likes
jaydee2k
First Poster
Options

I have a 55Q70T and the exact same issue. Anything above 24 hz is unwatchable even with motion settings turned completely off. Can confirm temporary fix with enabling game mode works but then the picture looks worse.

This needs to be adressed asap!

Jay108
Voyager
Options

In addition Since the 1403.1 firmware upgrade I noticed that number of  movies on Netflix and Amazon look very grainy.  Checked internet and I have very high speed broadband. So something has changed since the latest upgrade. I tried all settings even game mode but picture looks grainy. Even on some HDR titles.

I also noticed that when ever there is a scene with slight dark back ground the whole picture looks washed out and even the colours look strange. I have switched off all processing settings off  eco setting etc off. Nothing seems make any difference.

Could this be a faulty TV? 

0 Likes
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

That’s strange. My tv definitely isn’t grainy. Do you have it on movie mode or try filmmaker mode. 

I always keep mine on either movie mode or game mode if the stuttering is there. I have game mode settings matching movie mode settings. 

make sure things like noise is set to off and also sharpness is set to 0 as know there’s things can cause picture quality issues. 

0 Likes
Acrmorris
First Poster
Options

Unfortunately I hadn’t read anything about this issue in all the research I did before buying the 55Q95T, but hung the screen on Friday and noticed the problem immediately with Sky Q. Played around with settings for a while then took to Google for a settings fix and came across this thread. I bought the screen less than 2 weeks ago, so it will be going back tomorrow as the picture is basically unwatchable for me and, at the price of the screen, unacceptable from Samsung. I’ll be going for OLED instead. Shame because the picture otherwise looks great and the one connect box is brilliant.

marknich
Apprentice
Options

Thankfully, I managed to get a refund from Currys on mine, it wasn't easy though. After some research last week I went for an LG OLED55CX from John Lewis. I was nervous about seeing similar judder issues but thankfully there aren't any. Not only that but the picture quality is fantastic; it's so much better than the Samsung, even when it wasn't juddering.

Jobarr
First Poster
Options

I have had a 75-ich Q85t for almost a month. I am wondering if everyone here is conflating two (or more) problems. After noticing that the TV seemed not to always auto-detect the frame rate, thus not fixing the judder even with "input plus", I found this thread. But that doesn't seem to be the exact problem everyone is describing. My only input device is a Shield TV, and I am able to switch the frame rate that it outputs if necessary, so I am able to work around that issue. I don't use the built-in apps. I do not watch broadcast (cable) television at all.

After reading this thread, I did some testing. 

With a couple different interlaced input files, I can see clear, regular frame drops, like it is actually playing half the frames so 25fps->12.5fps or 29.97fps->14.985fps, for example. This makes sense in a way, since they aren't actually 25fps or 29.97fps but 50fps and 59.94fps with top and bottom fields. I think this actually might just be an issue with my output device misidentifying the frame rate of the file now though. A 25fps interlaced file with top and bottom frames is effectively 50fps, and forcing the TV into 50 Hz mode (using the Refresh Rate app for the Shield TV) makes it display correctly. I had some old home movies that were 25fps interlaced but play fine at 25 Hz. Using MediaInfo, I could see that my old video camera stored them as 25fps interlaced but with the bottom field only. If I understand that correctly, that is basically just a crappy progressive file stored as interlaced.

I have no issues with progressive files played back in the correct frame rate mode (25, 23.976, 30, 50, 60... fps). However, I have noticed that even progressive files seem to cause frame rate issues (stuttering/judder) even if the Shield TV is outputting at double the frame rate (29.97 fps at 59.94 Hz, 30fps at 60 Hz or 25fps at 50 Hz), which actually SHOULD be fine. I think this is the issue that originally brought me here.

Kodi seems to be able to display basically all files correctly (but not MX Player, etc.), oddly. Maybe it doing something that helps the TV identify the frame rate.

I haven't had frame rate any issues with the Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or Disney+ apps on the Shield TV, even when outputting at 60 Hz, but that is probably all progressive and basically all 23.976 or 25 fps.

I have Picture Clarity set to off usually, but this is the same for Custom with 0/0.

My guess is the TV is just not identifying the source frame rate correctly in some circumstances. For those seeing frame drops or judder in the middle of a program but not the entire time, maybe something is causing it to misidentify the frame rate right then but not otherwise.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

I checked what you suggested, still no improvement. 😞 

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

I wonder how many Q95T have been returned to date. How can Samsung release a product like this? Surely it must have gone through rigorous testing.  Also why don’t all the professional reviews mention this issue.  

0 Likes