Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S95B QD-OLED rebooting during gameplay on Xbox Series X

(Topic created on: 07-09-2022 10:57 PM)
RazielPrime
Apprentice
Options

I just bought the new 65-inch QD-OLED S95B and have discovered an issue that occurs specifically while playing on my Xbox Series X.

During gameplay (whether in Game Mode on the TV or not) the TV will reboot itself and seemingly random times.  The screen will go black (while the Xbox stays on and the game can still be heard thru eARC on my AVR), then display 'QD-OLED - Powered by Knox', then return to displaying the game.

With certain games, this happens continuously (specific examples are once gameplay begins in Forza Horizon 4 and 5), or and spaced ouot intervals (e.g. Halo Infinite or Halo - Master Chief Collection)

This rebooting doesn't happen when I'm playing on Playstation 5, Nintendo Switch, or when I'm playing games on my PC.  Xbox Series X is connected directly to the TV with HDMI 2.1 (i've tried different cables with no success), and is set to 120hrz and 10-bit Color.  Game Mode being 'on' or 'off' doesn't seem to matter, as the rebooting will happen in either mode.  This is also not a problem with the Series X, as the console itself stays on and working during the TV reboots, and the can still be heard thru the AVR via eARC.  The S95B is currently on firmware 1303.

7 REPLIES 7
Flogunner
First Poster
Options

I have the exact same problem on a 2021 The Frame. Contacted support and their solution was to unplug the xbox. Of course not exactly a long term solution. Hoping for a fw update because this is bloody annoying.

0 Likes
Jrod33084
Apprentice
Options

I just purchased my S95B 3 days ago and I am also getting reboots while gaming in game mode. I have both the Xbox X and PS5 and it will happen playing on either one. I even unplugged one while trying the other and still will get random reboots. Is this a return worthy issue or will an update fix this issue??

Flogunner
First Poster
Options

No clue, I’m out of the return window but might have done so if I could. There’s no guarantee they will fix this so if it is a deal breaker to you maybe you should consider returning it. I saw some posts saying that changing the xbox to another hdmi port fixes it so it must be something with the hdmi 2.1 ports.

0 Likes
RazielPrime
Apprentice
Options

Sorry, I meant to respond to this sooner. Yes, totally get them to replace the unit as defective.  When i called Best Buy they very quickly agreed to come and replace it with another unit, which ended up working perfectly when they got the new one installed.

It must've been a bad HDMI array, since every socket gave the same results any time that they received a video feed that used 120hrz, or HDR, or G-Sync/FreeSync.

0 Likes
Jrod33084
Apprentice
Options

Thank you so much for replying! Yea it still does it and it’s so random. Sometimes it’ll reboot 4 or 5 times in a row and other times will take an hour or two. I tried talking with support but they obviously suggested opening a service ticket. The tv is only 5 days old so that makes no sense to try and repair it instead of exchange it. The good news is I actually have a 2nd S95B on the way for delivery. I was originally going to refuse that order and keep this one but now it looks like I will have to box this one back up and try the 2nd one when it arrives. That’s also good to hear that you got a replacement and it is working just fine. I really liked the tv but got a lil worried that they are all having issues. Did Best Buy tell you that that was the problem? I was playing around with settings on the tv and it “seems” that when I turn off the Peak Brightness option in picture settings I don’t get reboots. Definitely sounds like a defective device to me. 

RazielPrime
Apprentice
Options

Best Buy didn't tell me what the problem was because I didn't ask them to try and diagnose it.  I'm already a tech guy and did everything I could to figure out the problem before I called them and told them that it was definitely defective and I wanted a replacement.  They didn't even question it because it was literally only 4 days old and totally within the exchange policy. 

Something that I noticed is that even though I was using legit HDMI 2.1 cables, the original unit  would say that they cables were bad whenever it gave results to the Support-> Device Care->Self-Diagnosis-Signal Information->HDMI Cable Test.

When the new unit was installed and I confirmed that it was working perfectly, the HDMI Signal Test confirmed that my cables were just fine.  That right there told me that HDMI ports on the first unit were absolutely thee cause of the issue.

0 Likes
Jrod33084
Apprentice
Options

This is very interesting. Didn’t think of it before so I just did the same test and also got the same results with all 4 ports and I’m using quality Monoprice cables. I think that confirms it that we got a defective unit! 
 edit: I take that back the 3 ports connected to media devices failed. The eArc port to soundbar for whatever reason did not fail but using the same type of cable.