Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S95B fast motion distortion

(Topic created on: 31-12-2022 06:58 AM)
Members_tWtx5qZ
First Poster
Options

Hi there!

Got my Samsung S95B QD-OLED tv a few days ago! Find the brightness and colour amazing!

However… I’m finding a lot of motion distortion around fast moving scenes, and it’s very very distracting, it even distorts channel logos if there’s movement around with, I was expecting abit more judder due to the characteristics of OLED, but not soo much it’s a distraction, and for the price I expected it to perform at least a bit more than my cheap £400 LED TV Toshiba (Vestel) from 2018

Some content it’s less notice like Wednesday on Netflix, some stuff it ruins the show!

Tried judder reduction to high,  blue reduction on and off and can’t seem to fix it without a high level of judder?

Any tricks?

8 REPLIES 8
River_Song
Apprentice
Options

I’m having the same problem. Most shows are fine but so far on Netflix The Crown and The Circle are really bad, and Doctor Who on HBO. If I turn off picture clarity completely it’s worse. If I put it on custom with blur reduction at 6 and judder reduction at 5 it’s better but still obvious enough to be distracting. I tried turning both up to 10 but didn’t see a difference from 5 to 10 so I went back down to 5 otherwise you get the soap opera effect everyone hates. It’s worst if the screen pans across a large scene. It stutters every quarter of a second. My 2018 LG OLED didn’t have this problem so I’m pretty upset that I paid so much for this “upgrade”. 

Leerolph
Pioneer
Options

Having the same issue, I managed to record a very shop clip of an example. You can she it on the text on the box as it moves. 

https://youtu.be/NjG2NY5yPZM

0 Likes
jolyons123
Apprentice
Options

Just got my 75 inch 95b yesterday. Picture quality amazing but I also see some frame drops in fast scenes. I just saw a video in YouTube where people report the same problem and they claim that this issue is since a new firmware update. 

This needs a fix!

jolyons123
Apprentice
Options

I found a solution! 

1. Press the settings button on your TV.

2. Now you have a horizontal list where you need to go to the right until you find a setting called "Sharpness". Select this setting and switch it from "Auto" to "Custom".

3.  Now go to "All Settings" (found on the left side of the horizontal list). From there go to "Picture" → "Expert Settings" → "Sharpness Settings"

4. Set all sliders (blur and jidder) to 3 and set any other setting inside that menu to "Off"

Now the problem is gone!

0 Likes
Leerolph
Pioneer
Options

What version of the firmware are you running? It’s a lot better on version 1430.1 

When comparing OLED and LED TVs, OLEDs have more stutter because they have a near-instantaneous response time. Try watching high-frame-rate content as much as possible if stutter bothers you. There can be a lot of stutter with low frame rate content, especially with TVs that have a fast response time” rtings.com

i mainly use Movie mode and have picture clarity set to custom blur reduction 10, judder reduction 0, clear motion off (this is the soap opera effect) 

0 Likes
River_Song
Apprentice
Options

@jolyons123 @Leerolph I’m running 1430.1 as of 2/9/23. I still see the issue but only on certain shows. The worst one is still The Crown Netflix. I was seeing it on a couple other shows but upping the blur and judder reduction made it barely noticeable on those. My understanding is that Samsung needs to fix it in the firmware because the settings we the users have access to will not impact the behind the scenes processes that are causing this.

I’ve toyed with all the settings and what works the best in my opinion is blur 6, judder 5. Here are my full settings: 

Brightness: 48

Contrast: 48

Sharpness: 2

Color: 20

Tint: G1

Apply to: all sources

Picture Clarity Settings: Custom

- blur 6

- judder 5

(Clear motion and noise reduction off)

Contrast Enhancer: low

Film mode: off

Color Tone: warm2

Tone:

Whitebalance: 2 points

- R-Gain  -5

- B-Gain  -3

- R-Offset -3

- B-Offset -2

Gamma ST.2084

- ST.2084: 0

- Shadow Detail: 0

Color Space: Custom

- Color gamut: BT.2020

Peak Brightness: Medium

Power and Energy Saving: Off

jolyons123
Apprentice
Options

It is weird that those TVs get delivered with such options set to "auto". This picture clarity settings should be called some "Experimental settings" at least so people can turn it on for a trade-off or test. They should not be enabled by default

0 Likes
Lapppt
First Poster
Options
What TV you are referring to? There are no such settings on S95B.
0 Likes