Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote for my Samsung TU700 stopped controlling my Fios Cable box and tv will not recognise my FiOS now!

(Topic created on: 04-10-2020 12:43 PM)
Mhub
Apprentice
Options

Well hello all, the name is Mark. I bought a Samsung 7 Series TU7000 in July 2020. I hooked it up and everything worked great. It connected to my network and my Fios Cable box no problem. the remote would show the guide on my cable box and change channels no problem. When i would click the home button on the remote it show the apps and an icon for my Fios which is connected to HDMI1 and I could go back and forth from the other apps to my Fios no problem. Well two days ago I turned on the TV and tried to change channels, wouldn't work. Pushed the guide button on the remote, wouldn't do anything. Pushed the Home button and it went to apps, but the icon for Fios was gone. then there was no way to get back to Fios. I finally thought to push the source button. That showed the sources and HDMI 1 was showing but it no longer said Fios. I clicked on it and it went to Fios but I could no longer change channels, or bring up the guide with the guide button. 

I changed batteries ib the remote, no luck. Went through all of the support options and no luck. Went through the Universal remote setup, no luck, wouldn't even recognize my cable box or my verizon/Fios using auto or manual setup. 

Finally used the reset. All that did was now when I push a button for the guide on my cable box, it brings up the guide for the Samsung channel app. I can switch back to the cable box/Fios by pushing the source button and choosing HDMI 1 , but pushing the channel up/down button just brings up a message that says "not available" . The remote does control the TV sound and settings buttons though. Any thought from anyone how to fix this. I do not have a "smart remote" just the plain old one that came with the tv. I tried chatting with Samsung Support last night and that was about useless. I finally just told them I would get help somewhere else because they just had me pushing buttons. Thanks in advance for and help you can give me. 

Mark 

8 REPLIES 8
tpittenger
First Poster
Options

I am having a similar issue with my Samsung tv that I purchased a month ago using an Optimum SMTC-5320 Samsung cable box. I think it happened when they updated firmware. They released another new firmware 9/23 but it didn't fix the issue. I actually returned the first tv and got a another one. Same issue after the firmware update. Have you been able to resolve your issue?

0 Likes
Mhub
Apprentice
Options

Nope! Samsung refuses to admit anything is wrong on their end. I just programmed my Fios remote to control the Samsung TV and won’t buy another Samsung product. 

WDennisK
First Poster
Options

Same here

Neal815
Student
Options

I had the same issue, stopped controlling my Fios set top box after 3 days! I contacted Samsung, they had me reset the TV, take out power cord , take out all hdmi cables, basically start over again. Update software also. Nothing worked at all. Samsung repair responded, changed the motherboard, but that didn't work either. He said it must be the Verizon box, or the hdmi cable. It was neither. I returned the TV and got another one from a different store which was a lower price anyway. So far, so good. I've been using it for about 5 days now with no problems at all. I believe it was some defect with the Samsung TV. Bad batch or whatever.

Jofficus
First Poster
Options

I had a similar issue with my TiVo box suddenly not being able to be controlled by the Samsung remote, after several days of working with no issues (and no changes on my end). 

The TiVo was on its last legs anyway, so we swapped to a FiOs DVR STB instead ... and there's no compatible model code at all in the setup?!? This is a VMS4100 box and the Samsung setup only has a profile for a VMS1100. I don't even know how to proceed ...

0 Likes
Neal815
Student
Options

I returned my 50" TU7000, like I stated and got a new one with no problems after more than 2 weeks. I firmly believe that Samsung had a bad batch of TV's, but they won't admit that. Did you try deleting the Verizon STB under settings, and then try to add it back in. Someone on the Verizon community said it just scrolled down to different provider and it lists Verizon. He was able to get it to work that way. You have nothing to loose. I was lucky enough to be able to return the TV that didn't work and got a new one that did. With my new TV, it happened again after 4 months!! Can;t get it to work again on the Verizon STB

SOLVED: Programming Samsung Smart TV remote to FIOS Set Top Box (STB)
Message 1 of 9
(21,956 Views)

Ok, so just want to post this for other members can use.

Samsung Smart TV Remote CAN be made to work with Verizon FiOS STB.

Here are the steps (and one trick that I only accidentally found):

1. Make sure your Smart Remote is paired with the TV (I got a new remote that had to be paired first). It has to be a genuine Samsung remote that, when holding the Back and Play buttons, shows on TV and pairing is successful !

2. Make sure STB is connected and fully functional

3. On Samsung TV go to Source --> Universal Remote

4. Select New Device --> Cable or Sat Box --> TV

5. When asked to select your provider DO NOT select Verizon FiOS Digital (as it shows on my list. This one won't work !). Scroll down and select "My service provider is not listed"

6. Then from this new list select Verizon.

7. When prompted to change channels, they do change. Press Yes to ack everything works and you are all set.

My STB is HD QIP 7100 1

Was struggling for hours with this, selecting Verizon FiOS Digital and channels would never change. The trick is to select Verizon, only on the second screen.

Hope this helps anybody.

That was from the Verizon community response!

Mhub
Apprentice
Options

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow maybe! I was able to get the Fios Remote working with the Samsung TV and have just been using that, but couldn't do anything else with the TV without going to the Samsung Remote. 

0 Likes
Mhub
Apprentice
Options

Unfortunately  I tried this and it did not work with my TV. I still have to use my Cable box remote to change channels.