Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording TV to external USB HDD on a UE49KS7000 when in standby

(Topic created on: 10-11-2017 08:18 AM)
Apollo11
Apprentice
Options

I have a UE49KS7000 UHD TV and have been trying to get it to record TV programmes to an external USB HDD.  It works fine if the TV is on, but that's fairly pointless as I generally want to record things when I'm out or in bed.  When the TV is in standby, it occasionally records, but more often than not, it doesn't.

I have had much dialogue with Samsung about this and they now advise me that, if it doesn't work, I need a HDD with its own power supply.  Now, I've tried three self powered HDDs, two are rated at 550mA and the other at 900mA.  The HDD USB port on the TV is rated at 1A which should be ample, so this is a puzzle.  I don't particularly want to buy a fourth HDD (with it's own PSU) in the hope that it might work and, in any case, such drives don't appear to be widely available these days.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and solved it?  In particular, I'm thinking:

1. Can I just use a USB flash drive instead of the HDD - would this work?

2. Would a solid state external drive work without the need for a PSU?

3. Is there an in-line power supply (goes on USB cable between TV and HDD) on the market?

15 REPLIES 15
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

65KS9600EU

This an issue with a few models which I think Samsung is hiding. I bought 65KS9500ue back in January. Working alright at first and with having Sky did not use recording much. Got rid of Sky in August and the found the TV would not record, it would record a program you were watching and time shift but not from the planner. Samsung had me taking screen shots and all sorts and said the would esculate to next level and then heard nothing. It was on these forum I saw that a factory reset and turn off auto tuning had worked for some, so I tried that, and it worked, joy. Week later stopped working. Again contacted Samsung who informed me that they would send an engineer around to look at it.
Samsung sent Martin Daws to come round but cancelled on the morning saying they did not have the part in, very annoying as I had taken the day off work. They then booked again 3 days later and changed the one box, did not work, another wasted day. Following week came again and changed the main PCB board. Brill all was working, so thanked Samsung and started to enjoy. Two weeks later which was Tuesday just gone noticed it had not recorded Monday nights things. Tested it with programs on Tuesday day and again not working!!!! ( 3 days off work so far) Contacted Samsung and again said they would contact me when thay have further information. Contacted Martin Daws and they said they would have to contact Samsung!!! It's a joke that Samsung can not sort this out.
I also Checked my firmware and it is 1201 but noticed 1208.2 on Samsung support. Downloaded it and updated firmware and tried again and guess what, did not work!!!!! What a joke!!!

WARNING I have found to my very exspensive cost that because I bought the TV from DA Tech (I did contact them and they have basically said its Samsungs problem and have now ignored my emails) through Amazon ( who said because it was over 120 days they can not help). I have lost my credit consumer section 75 protection, because Amazon is classed as a third party, and because I did not report it till after 120 days after purchasse I can not claim a charge back. I have made a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service, but with no luck. My only alternative I may have if I do not get this TV fixed is the smaill claim courts under the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs. Not what I want to do really! Not a Happy Customer!!!!

You do not need a external power USB 3 as the TV has only USB 2 ports and are powered ports as all USB are. I connected a USB Seagate USB powered and the TV asked if I wanted it to configure the drive, which really formats it to NTFS. On my TV 65KS9500 it worked at first but not now (see my other post) but will still do time shift and record programs I am watching, but not any thing from the planner, even when the TV is on or in standby.

0 Likes
Apollo11
Apprentice
Options

I don't think that the Samsung support staff's knowledge is particularly technical.  When I queried why the USB socket, which is rated at 5 Volts 1 Amp, could not provide sufficient current to power my 550mA hard drive, they simply referred me to the fact that the output is 5 Volts and said that if the HDD didn't work, it would require an external power supply.  No explanation as to why the socket is clearly not supplying as much current as they claim it should.

I think however that the issue probably is related to power, as I have since tried a "split" USB cable on my HDD, which plugs into both of the USB ports on the One Box, thus drawing power from both and, so far, recording (in standby) seems to be ok... early days though!

What this suggests to me is that the USB port current ratings quoted on the One Box are rather optomistic and that the USB ports are not really fit for purpose.  In my view, Samsung should be upgrading the One Box so that it can output the currents quoted then there shouldn't be an issue.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Samsung support are not much use. If it's not on the guide sheet then you get a we will respond or esculate and then hear nothing. I also think this is an intermittent power issue as a USB drive powered by the TV some times works as explained below. I have also tried a powered drive with no luck as well!

You do not need a powered drive to record in standby. I have 32 Samsung with a seagate USB powered by the TV and works fine, but I have Samsung 65KS9500 which when working will record to a TV powered USB drive. All this about needing a external powered drive is rubbish as mine will not work witha powered drive as I have tried it  as I explain below.

65KS9500 Problem since August 2017 still not fixed!!!!!!!!!!!
I also updated firmware to 1208.2, still will not record from the planner when on of in standby. Now had a new one box, new main board, tried 2 USB drives all over 1 ter and a powered drive, all so turning off auto tuning, factory reset and still it will not record. The drives have been formatted by the TV and have loads of space. Will time shift and record what I am watching so they do work. I think it must be some thing with the power supply and I now thing it's time for a repacement TV, pleaseeeeeee.
Oh got told off for posting to much. Think is if the TV worked or was fixed I would not be here, so come on Samsung sort this out and make some of your customers happy again with their Samsung TV's!!!!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

lat002 wrote:

Hi Paul1277,

I've just re-read your post about the USB ports and hard drives. Samsung in the user manual for your TV state that a hard drive must be connected to the USB (HDD) port and they recommend use of a hard drive with it's own poer adapter (which I know you said you have). I have read of other people having issues with their hard drive when connected to other USB ports so surely it's worth a try?

I have also read that although your TV has 2 tuners, 1 is for Freesat and 1 is for Freeview. If true this is like my TV, so depending upon what TV service you are using (viz: Freesat or Freeview) you could well be having the same problems that I wrote about in my last post. If you are using Freeview you will likely be limited by the Freeview transmission by Multiplex. This is nothing to do with Samsung. If the hard disk that is connected to the TV is recording (say) BBC1 (which is transmitted from Multiplex BBCA), I can only tune the TV into another station using the BBC A multiplex (which are BBC 2 or BBC 4).

For information the list of Freeview chanels and the associated Multiplex can be found on lots of websites. This link is one such: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

Hope this helps. Good luck!

OK there are 3 USB ports 1 on the TV side, and 2 on the one connect. On the one connect there is a 1 amp and a 0.5 amp USB 2. The 1 amp USB has plenty of power to power a USB drive. I know this because the recording has worked in the past with a Seagate USB plugged into 1 amp port and it worked for a week after I had done a factory reset and disabled auto tuning. I had a new one connect with no luck, and they then changed the main board which worked and recorded every thing as advertised. Then 2 weeks later my last recording was on the 17/11/17 and since then it will not record either when the TV is on or in standby. Thats 3 days of work waiting for the engineers.I have also tried a mains powered USB and again no luck. Thing is it will do timeshift and will record a program I am watching.

As to your comment about tuners this TV has 2 freesat and 2 freeveiw and I do have 2 imputs from my dish for freesat.

I can not understand all the stuff about the multiplex transmissions, because if that was the case it would not have worked in the past. Also why I dissagree with you is because I have a 32inch Samsung Smart TV in another room which has worked from day 1 and still works and records evey thing I ask of it, and the same with a Samsung Freesat recorder I have that also records eveything without any problems.

I don't know if you work for Samsung but this is a list of excusses that are typical of Samsung. They are basically trying to ware us down so we give up, as some I think have. Family have other smart TV's like LG, Sony, Panasonic, and I have been told they all record as advertised and without any of this so called multiplex issues. I also updated the firmware to 1208.2 yesterday which again made no difference apart from slowing the TV down to a crawl, which is another thing to deal with.

I been resonable since August with Samsung and have a new connect and main board PCD fitted and it still will not work. I know with most people it seems to be OK so all I want now is a replacement TV that will work as advertised.

To sum up I have tried all of Samsungs advice (which was very little) 2 USB drives 1 powered USB and a stick drive, had parts of the TV repaced and yet it still does not work. I just can not understand how a company at the leading edge of TV design can not easily sort this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Hestia
Journeyman
Options

I posted the next timeline on a dutch Samsung forum and I translated it for you ( sorry for the language mistakes in it). Maybe it's helpfull. So far I didn't get much support from Samsung either.

Timeline UE32M5690AS XXN

cyclus 1

- TV on

- HDD starts up

- On smarthub appears "Recordings" with red dot. At sources HDD is visible

- Programs can be recorded by hand and by guide

- As long as TV is on recording is done.

- TV in standby

- After +/- 15 sec I hear HDD (with exernal power but also a hdd bus powered) switches off

cyclus 2

- TV on

- HDD starts (I can hear it and see the light turning on)

- On smarthub appears shortly "Recordings" with red dot, it dissapears and is replaced by "SCHEMEMANAGER"

- At Sources HDD is not visible

- Programms cannot be recorded. Announcement "No USB device is attached"

- You cannot play recorded programms

When I put TV in standby and then turn on again I see protocol of cyclus 1. Put it in standby on turn it on I see protocol of cyclus 2. And so alternately

When I give a hard reset (pulling mains plug out) I see consequently protocol of cyclus 1

What happens according to me is: In cyclus 1 HDD is started and enumeration (handshake) process is successful. In cyclus 2 HDD is also started but enumeration process is not successful.

Due to power or firmware issues I don’t know. Maybe a usb analyzer can detect the problem. And apparently the enumeration process is successful each time with a hard reset. But you cannot record when the TV is fully switched off.

For now I deal with it in the following way:

When tv is in cyclus 1 I prepare TV for recording a programm. I turn TV in standby and then turn on cyclus 2 starts. When I put TV now in standby mode recording is done. After recording I put the TV on. Cyclus 2 starts and I have to put it in standby and turn it on again to get cyclus 1 and can watch my recorded programms

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

There are problems with lots of USB drives where they don't always work that well for long periods of time or operate correctly after being put to standby by the host device.  The problem is with the chip and firmware in the drive caddy itself.

One thing to try is a USB stick and see if that continues recording okay from standby.

Whilst I'm sure there are problems with some Samsung TVs, I expect many problems are caused by the USB drive itself.  Samsung really need to provide a validated list of drives they have tested to work okay.

I've seen this problem myself with some USB hard-drives on my PC where they don't work after the computer has been in standby, and need disconnecting and reconnecting.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
Hestia
Journeyman
Options

Hi Phil,
First of all we must speak about drives for on a stick Samsung states you cannot record. Anyway I use a Seagate drive with external power (before I used this drive without any problems on my computer for a couple of years) and I bought a Hitachi bus powered drive for this problem. Both gave the same results. And indeed Samsung should provide a list with validated drives for I cannnot keep on buying drives to see one is working properly. And provide that list when buying a Samsung TV

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Hestia wrote:

Hi Phil,
First of all we must speak about drives for on a stick Samsung states you cannot record. Anyway I use a Seagate drive with external power (before I used this drive without any problems on my computer for a couple of years) and I bought a Hitachi bus powered drive for this problem. Both gave the same results. And indeed Samsung should provide a list with validated drives for I cannnot keep on buying drives to see one is working properly. And provide that list when buying a Samsung TV

OK I have seen people now try to blame the problem on the USB drives, but I beg to differ, and the reason why is I have 2 Samsung TV's, the one with the issue is a new UE65KS9500 and I have a UE32J6300AK in the spare room which records as advertised with no probs. This has given me the opportunity to test and check the Seagate 1 Ter USB, a Toshiba 1 Ter USB, a 64 Gig USB Stick, and a Seagate 2 Ter in a USB enclosure mains powered. All are recognised by both TV's, and all work perfectly with the older 32 inch Samsung TV, both when on and in Standby. So if the USB drives work perfectly in the older Samsung TV, I find it hard to blame them for the issue, and can only see it being an issue with the TV. Also when I have spoken to Samsung  they make no mention of any USB issue. I did read about factory reset and auto tuning off which worked a week, and had a new main board fitted which worked for 2 weeks, but does not work now. I have had plenty of time testing these USB drives and they work perfectly.

Just to mention again how bad Samsung support is because I was promised a call back on Sunday and now Friday still waiting.

Paul

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

No one is trying to blame anything, just trying to help work out where the problem is.

It is never as simple as these things seem.  For example a USB storage device, depending on the host can operate in two different modes, one is the older spec of USB Mass storage device, and the newer one is is USB Attached SCSI.  The newer model may support USB Attached SCSI which being a newer spec isn't working well with the USB drive, an older TV may connect using the older and better supported USB Mass storage device protocol, and works fine.

So even though the same drive is being used, they may be operating differently on each TV.  

These problems can be very difficult to track down and you can't necessarily rule out the USB drive on the basis it is working with another TV.  It's keeping an open mind to where the problem is that will eventually provide a solution.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes