Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN90A 120Hz Freesync Premium Pro VRR + HDR not recognised by TV (AMD/Windows)

(Topic created on: 12-06-2021 11:01 PM)
Zerreth
Explorer
Options

Tested UE50QN90A + AMD 6900XT Aorus Master. (FW 1506.0 / Radeon 21.5.2) / Windows 10 21H1

Windows + Playing Games:
(Windows Settings + Ingame HDR Toggle)
120Hz HDR 10-bit NO game mode, TV reports 3840x2160 / 120p input signal plus (HDR + UHD) OK!

With Game Mode Enabled:

Windows:
120Hz HDR 10-bit VRR on (Windows Settings), TV reports 3840x2160 / 120p input signal plus (UHD)
HDR is missing

Playing Games:
120Hz HDR 10-bit VRR on (Windows Settings + Ingame HDR Toggle), TV reports 3840x2160 Freesync Preium Pro / 120p input signal plus (UHD)
HDR is missing

There seems to be a bug where the TV isn't recognizing HDR in Game Mode and the picture is overy dim/dark & washed out. Some games like Call of Duty look so bad the TV + HDR calibration ingame cannot correct for the terrible picture quality. Some games like Doom Eternal + AMD driver color profile allow me to correct the colors to usable levels, but color ranges seem compressed / crushed. RGB output fares worse than YCBR4:4:4, where on RGB even Doom Eternal cannot be corrected to look good.

SettingsSettings

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21
Yesname
Journeyman
Options

Sorry mate. It is SAmsung. They don not give a ***** on the serious issues and their FALSE advertisements. I am working on lawsuit (including eARC audio incompatibility and drops).

0 Likes
Ombrenoirz
Journeyman
Options

Did you manage to solve this ? I'm having the same problem.

0 Likes
Yesname
Journeyman
Options

I solved the issue with Custom Resolutoin Utility (CRU). I edited the Extension Block and added the support of FreeSync Range 48-120Hz.

Ombrenoirz
Journeyman
Options

Any tutorials or video you found ? Not at home right now but Im wanna be sure to have all the information. Thanks !

0 Likes
Yesname
Journeyman
Options

It is quite self-explaining but if You do not know what to do just watch this video:
How to enable Freesync on non freesync monitor or TV 

Of course, You will do this on different equipment so the data for your set will be different.

Ps.: Do not forget to export the settings before you change anything.

Ombrenoirz
Journeyman
Options

I have a Vega 64, which HDMI is 2.0b so it can do 4k@60hz instead of 120hz. Does it change something with your advice ?

0 Likes
Yesname
Journeyman
Options

I guess it does not change anything. Its FreeSync might be not compatible but give it a try. CRU includes a reset-all.exe which resets all HDMI EDID so after you restart the PC the display will be detected again with its original EDID settings.

0 Likes
Ombrenoirz
Journeyman
Options

Might not br compatible with CRR or VRR ? Because it work fine FreeSync Premium Pro (without HDR). Thank you for your quick reply

0 Likes
Yesname
Journeyman
Options

Then it is compatible but You won't get HDR with 10 bit with HDMI 2.0b if I am right. You have to use 8 bit.

0 Likes