Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN85QN90A audio drops out

(Topic created on: 29-01-2022 03:40 PM)
Machete85
Apprentice
Options

Have had this 85" QN90A neoQled TV in service for a couple of weeks now. Intermittently the audio will drop out when watching over the air broadcasts. Has not happened on firestick streaming, native streaming, or PS5 over HDMI. Appears to only be happening on the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts, and not the ATSC 1.0 broadcasts, still trying to isolate the issue. When the sound drops out the volume control will not restore the sound, but if you change the channel and even go back to the same channel the sound returns. Also when the sound goes out on the broadcast, the menu screen still makes the small beep sounds when navigating. Using the built in speakers only at this point. I've searched other sound issues here on the forum, but none that seem to match these symptoms. Any ideas are welcome.

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
D Moore
Student
Options

Question all of your ATSC 3.0 broadcast channels are transmitting in 4k? I only have 3 NextGen/3.0 channels and none of them are transmits in 4k, the same 1080p as ATSC 1.0 channels (I presume in TN area this has not been fully adopted yet). I wonder if thats a cause for the issue.... Maybe just wishful thinking since I don't feel like de-mounting and taking back to store 😆

0 Likes
Machete85
Apprentice
Options

Once I can get the stations in again I can reevaluate and answer that question in confidence. Before I lost the stations I would flip back and forth and picture definitely looked clearer. It may have been a 1080 source broadcasting in upscaled 4K? Not sure. Detroit market just started 3.0 in January. Wonder if this is a Samsung specific issue, or ATSC 3.0 in general? I have not found any other threads or forums with mention of this specific issue.

https://www.atsc.org/news/five-detroit-broadcast-stations-collaborating-to-launch-motown-3-0-test-tr...

0 Likes
D Moore
Student
Options

Okay, cool. To confirm if its upscaling or 4k content you can press the "info button", its the button located under the power button. Might have to press a few times since that button serves as multi-task

0 Likes
D Moore
Student
Options

Just had a revelation. It seems when the audio drops and get out of sync, once I move or adjust the antenna (my antenna is a little old), the sound came back and was in sync. Without changing the channel. This leads me to believe that ATSC 3.0: once there is an interruption it gradually degrades overtime instead of an immediate break in ATSC 1.0. Assumption, this maybe due to a poor reception causing this issue. You can also monitor your OTA signal  in Support/Diagnoses and notice fluctuation in frequency. This is a little assuring not saying this is not an issue but less severe.

0 Likes
Machete85
Apprentice
Options

That makes total sense. Basically a data buffering issue. Will be playing with antenna placement again once things warm up. Will report back. Thanks.

0 Likes
Doug46
Apprentice
Options

OK it's almost a year later now, I purchased a QN90CD 85" about 2 weeks ago.   5 stations in our area now broadcast in ATSC 3.0 and I am line of sight to all their transmitting antennas about 10 miles from me.  Of these, only KNTV CH11 has the audio dropout.  Sound will drop out typically 4 to 6 seconds and then return, alway in sync.   There are no audio problems with any cable content.  KNTV and KPIX have lately implemented DRM encryption but KPIX has no audio problem, still only KNTV. 

Returning the TV would be a PIA so I'll keep it but I can't recommend it to anyone for this reason. 

0 Likes
Ray Martinez
First Poster
Options

I have a QN800C that was having the same issue, I went to all settings menu/sound/expert settings/digital output audio format. Mine was on auto, I switched it to PCM so far so good no audio drop offs on OTA NextGen channels.

0 Likes
DG06
First Poster
Options

I’ve had the same issue with ATSC 3.0 KNTV, however, I’ve had similar audio dropouts using a Sony ATSC 3.0 TV. Once in a while, none of the ATSC 3.0 stations come in on both TVs. 

Right now, I have been watching KNTV for over 15 minutes with no audio dropouts. Maybe the problem is solved. 

0 Likes
Machete85
Apprentice
Options

Ok, so 2 years later and can't recall the last time this happened, it's been quite a while. At some point I did relocate the directional antenna into the attic of my two story, roughly 25' above ground level. At this point I'm certain it was an ATSC 3.0 broadcast/reception issue and not a hardware issue.

0 Likes