Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

QN85 neo QLED does not play well with Google Home

(Topic created on: 15-01-2022 06:32 PM)
JB53
Apprentice
Options

I've had problems configuring my TV to work with google home. up until about 1.5 weeks ago (using voice command with google mini) I was able to turn the set on/off, change volume, and change input port. Suddenly I could only turn it off/on.. and as of yesterday I can also change ports, but not the volume. This is frustrating because I bought this set with the understanding it could be operated via google home (and not just through the remote) I am also unable to cast to the TV. I suspect there's a configuration issue but I have no idea what that could be. One interesting thing that happens is when everything is at a start new level.. as soon as I initially log into google on the TV its self I get an icon on my google home page titled "Google Assistant on Samsung TV" but it shows as offline and will not connect, and cannot be removed. Once SmartThings is linked I get another icon called TV which does my limited controls. 

So far I've reset the TV a few times and completely reconfigured it. Blasted and rebuilt my google home (tough since I have a lot of automated devices), deleted and reinstalled SmartThings, switched back and forth between Alexa, Google and Bixby. I've validated no updates were needed from the settings menu (only to discover from Samsung support that indeed I was out of date and had to manually apply an update.) Still no dice. I have also turned off all of my mesh network devices except one just to ensure the problem wasn't caused by being seen as on two different networks.... even though that's not how mesh works. Samsung has offered to send out tech support, but when I talked to those folks the first thing out of their mouth was "we'll just replace the mother board and see if that helps. I do NOT really care to have a basically brand new tv cracked open if its not really a hard ware problem..  Has anyone else had similar problems?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page may help

How to Setup Google Home on a Samsung TV

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/tv-audio-video/how-to-setup-google-home-on-a-samsung-tv/
JB53
Apprentice
Options

Thank you xSteveuk for the informative link. This is the process I've been following without any luck. I have found the problem though (it's not Samsung) and will post my findings shortly. However; the link you provided did show  a device being added to google prior to linking SmartThings. It's shown as "Samsung 7 series 50." I get something similar named "Google Assistant on Samsung TV" which drives me crazy. It constantly shows as being off line and trying to connect even if I assign it to my Home. Does this have a functional purpose? 

0 Likes
Solution
JB53
Apprentice
Options

Well, I found what appears to be the answer in a Google Home (GH) support group. (after this past week I think I'm in need of a support group.) This may be caused by the Google Home / Sonos lawsuit and updates GH has pushed as a result. Thank goodness I didn't allow the support team come out and tear the set apart to replace the main board.

A work around that gives me confidence that this is not on the Samsung side is if you use broken English it will work. I might normally say  "Hey Google, set the TV volume to 15" and get the results I want, but doing that now simply sets my google mini's volume to 15%. However; If I say "Hey google TV volume 15" it works like a charm. 

I hope this helps someone else on this board, and hopefully google will get around to fixing things shortly.