Did you mean: 

QN800A intermittent picture loss with HDMI 2.1 input

(Topic created on: 10-07-2021 01:10 PM)
James4324
Journeyman
Options

Hi all,

Anyone got any experience of this:

Got my PC with a new NVidia RTX 3080ti connected to my QN800A (QE75QN800ATXXU) but I can't get it run without the screen going black periodically (anything from every few seconds to every 30 seconds) for a 3-15 seconds before coming back on.  I initially noted this issue when trying to run 4K 120Hz, HDR but I've now noticed that it also happens @4K 60Hz with HDR and VRR turned off.

Tried in and out of Game Mode but it continues to happen. 

I did notice that the One box was getting hotter and the picture going off and on was getting worse. So I left it overnight then tried again in the morning. It worked perfectly well @ 4K 120Hz HDR and VRR for about 3 minutes then started happening again and getting more frequent as the box got hotter.

What I've tried:

- Running on LG 48CX, it ran 4K 120Hz, HDR, VRR for hours with no issues. So guess the PC is not the issue.

- Swapping out the GPU for a RTX 2080ti, this worked fine with the Samsung but as its only HDMI 2.0 I could only manage 4K @ 60Hz HDR and VRR, this leads me to believe its something to do with the HDMI 2.1 on the One Box.

- Tried three different 8K rated cables, two of them brand new. No joy.

- Update all drivers on PC

- Software update on TV

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

47 REPLIES 47
Rick_C
Pioneer
Options
I have the 65" version of the QN800A, it does exactly the same as you describe above, but when using my PS5, very random, can happen for 15 mins and then be clear for an hour and then start again. Black screen, then a spinning white circles clock wise and then back on again after 3 to 4 second's.

The heat issue, well mine is running at 51.5c using a Lazer temperature tool, spoke with Samsung and they said it is it's normal operating temperature! Then a week later the HDMI issue started.

I have been trying to get mine replaced now for 3 week's (took delivery of the TV on the 7th of June) and am afraid to say that the CS UK shop team are not that great and have been on the phone to them for 8+ hours (2 hours today and 4 hours last Saturday!) Was due to be collected yesterday, but the CS lied about a box being sent 😕 I refused it to be returned without a box, as lost trust in them, I am now awaiting a response to be given on Tuesday as a promise of same day swap may be given due to the nature of the situation as a whole........ I do not hold much hope for this to be resolved soon. Total pain and lost respect for them as a brand.
0 Likes
Rick_C
Pioneer
Options
As Below :S20210611_232248_17188.jpg
0 Likes
cmikerun3
Apprentice
Options

I have the same issue with mine only with my Xbox Series X though. My PS5 and Apple TV do not lose signal or drop out. I have changed cables and still will go black for extended periods of time. I have the model QN75QN800AFXZA. I have had times where the signal will not come back at all unless I unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in. Very frustrating experience with this tv so far.

0 Likes
James4324
Journeyman
Options

Hi Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses.

There has a been a bit of development with my issue. Despite trying with three different 8K rated HDMI cables I decided to order some more to try. I got the best ones I could find (IBRA 2.1 Orange) and bought a 3m and 1.5m. Low and behold all seems to be working fine now (with both cables). I've been testing for about 2 hrs and no issues at all. Previously I'd have seen issues after a few mins.

I will keep testing and let know if it re-occurs but I think I'm good.

Very weird though as the other cables worked with my other TV under exactly the same conditions (resolution, hz, HDR).

Oh I also bought a laptop cooler to sit under my Samsung box for good measure.

Cheers

Rick_C
Pioneer
Options
Hi James,

I have tried several 2.1 spec cables now, even a Belkin one that cost £60 😬 and still having the same and even to the point it is gotten worse. Samsung have been aware of the issue from the first week I received it and they finally agreed to return the TV for a replacement, that was 3 week's ago and the TV is still with myself!!! They have cancelled the collection twice now, all I want to do is return the TV, get a refund and spend more money to get the 75" version (as no 65" versions are in stock and will take 3 week's plus turn around in a normal return), so without the refund I can't order the 75" version, I can't get the refund without the TV being in their hands, I can't get the TV in their hands as they keep cancelling the collection and have major surgery in 2 week's - to top it off 🤦🏻

Found out today that the Escalating team don't work weekends by all accounts (even though I spoke with the last weekend!) Samsung customer service is beyond poor and have been a loyal customer of their products for many years. I just want my QN800A to work and be less stressful than it needs to be at this moment in time. Sorry about the rant, but be warned, the CS teams are very very slow and ultimately will do the opposite of what they agree or say.

Add to this, my TV actually got that bad today with my PS5 it was managing to display it's picture for about a second before throwing itself out and then repeatedly done the same when I reset the TV and set it back up again it still did it. Then for no reason, for a whole hour+ of gaming was fine........ It doesn't make any sense :S
Rick_C
Pioneer
Options
What laptop cooler did you purchase?
0 Likes
James4324
Journeyman
Options

That all sounds really painful! I hope it gets sorted soon.

I did find that the problem persisted very occasionally even with the new cable so I bought one that was only 1.5 meters long and it has not been back since. Very annoying that only the Samsung TV requires this, but as long as the issue is fixed I can live with it.

I went with a Tecknet one from Amazon. It was only £24. The fans a a little noisy though so might change them (or it).

Best of luck with your issues.

0 Likes
Rick_C
Pioneer
Options
Cheers buddy, it's been a real BA 🤦🏻
0 Likes
Gharumchai
Apprentice
Options

Hi James, I have the 85inch QN800a since April and am having the same intermittent drop outs from any HDMI input. Have you managed to find a solution as it’s driving me crazy!