Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

QN65QN90BAF 65" Optical Out Sound Issue

(Topic created on: 16-02-2023 11:13 PM)
chriss1563
Apprentice
Options

Hello, I have a strange issue. My recently purchased Samsung TV has a "sound out" issue. I use wireless earphones to listen to the TV at night so I do not disturb anyone who is sleeping. The base is equipped with an optical in port. I have the optical out from my Samsung TV to the base of the headphones. I am able to hear all the audio coming through from my Xfinity to my Onkyo receiver. But when I power on the headphones and they successfully connect to the base. I am able to hear the remote audio beeps when I tap the remote buttons but none of the content audio comes through the optical out from the TV to my headphones base.  I have been beating my head against the wall on this. Would anyone have any settings suggestions? 

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
AndrewL
Options

@chriss1563: Can you try connecting the headphones directly to the TV, then head to Home > Menu > Settings > All Settings > Sound > Sound Output > Optical, to see if this helps? 

Furthermore, head to Settings > Sound > Expert Settings > Simultaneous Optical Output, and enable this feature. Let me know how you get on. 

0 Likes
chriss1563
Apprentice
Options

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your response. I have followed your instructions. Still, I can only hear the remote input taps coming through to the headset while the base was connected via optical output from the TV to the headphone's base. These are the headphones I currently have which worked seamlessly before purchasing this television: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D6GHYD7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

I can only hear the remote button reactions in the headphones, not the provided audio throughput from my receiver to the TV via HDMI connection (connected to HDMI 3) All these "smart" applications loaded into these TVs are causing these issues. 

Here is what I tried today. These headphones are Bluetooth. I learned that they do not require the base to connect to the TV. So I paired the headphones directly to the TV's Bluetooth as I would a Bluetooth speaker bar. Still, the same results, sound only from the remote button taps. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. For now, I will research connecting to a Bluetooth speaker bar problem to see if that could point me in the right direction.

0 Likes
Solution
chriss1563
Apprentice
Options

I called Samsung Customer Tech Support and explained the situation. They blamed Xfinity's cable box and told me to unplug and detach all cables and then reattach them to see if that helps. I was skeptical but did it anyway. That DID NOT do the trick. Then they went on blaming Xfinity for the issue and issues a support ticket number.  Sorry but this issue is not resolved. However, I didn't know it at the time, but I checked the settings on my Xfinity box and it was equipped for Bluetooth connection so I was able to configure my headphones to connect to the Xfinity cable box rather than the Samsung TV. 

0 Likes
Shelstad
First Poster
Options

I am having a similar problem. I have connected a bluetooth generator directly to my Samsung TV via the optical sound output. It works fine and I can listen to the TV via the TV speakers as well as on headphones connected via the bluetooth generator. But as soon as I connect my Samsung TV to my Maranta SR 5015 AVR via HDMI, the output from the Samsung optical output is cut off. Seems I can't send sound simultaneously via HDMI to my Marantz AVR and via the optical output. One or the other, but not both. I don't think it's my Xfinity box since it works when I cut the Maranta out of the equation. I think it's Samsung's circuitry. 

0 Likes