Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QLED Q70 unable to output Dolby Digital sound to AV from television programs

(Topic created on: 09-05-2022 01:19 PM)
PenaM
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Does anyone know if Samsung QLED TV's (Q77 in particular) should be able to output Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from live television channels? I hope that someone might be able to help me with this problem.

Problem: When watching live television with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound only stereo sound goes through HMDI. TV does show that signal is DD, there is a DD logo in the upper right corner, it's the tv program signal information.

I have a digital set top box too, and it is able to send DD5.1 sound from a same tv program at the same time to Marantz AV. Marantz shows it at the display. But Q77 does not put DD5.1 out. What could be the problem here?

My system: Samsung QLED Q77 (QE65Q77) connected with HDMI eARC to Maranz AV eARC connection.  Only modes that I'm able to choose for Digital Sound are "PCM" and "Automatic" and I have Automatic selected. HDMI eARC is working ok, AV automatically goes on with TV and changes to TV audio input. Samsung is running firmware T--NKMDEUC-2101.2. No newer firmware available.

When there is tv program on with DD5.1 sound, should there be Dolby Digital visible also on Digital Sound modes selection list? As show here: Solved: Q900R and Q90R Dolby Digital+ Support - Samsung Community - 1524584). Or is "Automatic" sufficient to output DD5.1?

-PM

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page maybe helpful

Change the audio format on your Samsung TV

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00085244/
0 Likes
PenaM
Apprentice
Options

Hi xSteveuk!

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately this does not help. I have seen that already and read all about it.

Digital Output Audio Format menu does not show DD as a selection. Only PCM and automatic are the ones I can choose from. Maybe Q77 doesn't recognize DD sound correctly from tv signal? What could be reason for that? 

I have a tv channels with DD5.1 audio and my set top box can output it to AV. But Q77 does not. We have many channels with DD5.1 audio from our local TV broadcaster, they're proud of the good sound and the image which follows all the standards.

So far three set top boxes have all been able to output DD just fine.

At the moment there are two programs with DD sound, but TV shows this:

automatic.jpg

0 Likes
PenaM
Apprentice
Options

Now I have Netfilx running. Netflix outputs DD5.1 to my AV as show in the pic, without any changes to audio formats. But TV programs with DD sound does not go through and it is not possible to change audio modes. It's like Samung TV doesn't even recognize DD audio from TV shows?

It would be nice to known that someone actually has made the dolby digital sounds of television programs work.

Netflix_DD5.1.jpg

0 Likes
Rj21
First Poster
Options

I am also having same issue with QN85A in USA. It used to work before. I think the last update on 01/14/21 broke something.

0 Likes
AmirRiaz
First Poster
Options

I have the exact same problem but with the YouTube App .  But I am connected via Optical Cable. Netflix on the other hand does output DD5.1 to the sound AV receiver through the same optical cable. Not sure why YouTube cant!

0 Likes
alexhadden
First Poster
Options

Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same issue and can’t find a solution. I can only run audio via PCM into my receiver.  Best, Alex 

0 Likes