Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

QE55Q95T - HDR does not work on Prime Video app

(Topic created on: 24-02-2021 11:00 PM)
GisleHH
Apprentice
Options

This used to work just a few weeks ago. Prime Video would stream 4K HDR content fine on my TV. Now it won't. Even content I have watched in HDR before (The Expanse season 4). Both Netflix and Youtube will turn on HDR for the TV.

I tried amazon customer support. They were not very helpful and told me to contact Samsung. One thing I learned was that the app installed on my TV is not listed in my registered devices on my Prime Video account. My android phone is listed with the android app. My TV is listed but no apps are registered.

Have any of you encountered this problem?

How do I check which is the current version of the Prime Video app for the TV? The app seems to be updated with the latest version. But it also seems that updates has been a problem for others before.

116 REPLIES 116
getaceres
Apprentice
Options

I tested it and now it's working again for me. 

I didn't have to do anything. I have automatic updates turned on but it's not that. There's something to do with Amazon servers since yesterday I had the same firmware and app version and it wasn't working and today, without any change at all on my side, it works.

0 Likes
Lee2
First Poster
Options

Firstly, really annoying that Samsung only reply once a fix appears to have been made. Secondly, it wasn't just a case of HRR playing but the TV not saying it was. If HDR was playing it certainly didn't look any different and if that is the case HDR is pointless on this tv!!

0 Likes
R2wo
Pioneer
Options

Still not switching over to HDR settings for me.

@Lee2  (you're right) ...it doesn't look any different because it's still not working. The TV will adjust it's settings and display HDR10+ on the quick settings menu, it will also boost the Gamma to ST.2084 (which is greyed out during normal settings) and until it does all that - HDR is NOT working!

0 Likes
tester2020
Journeyman
Options

Thank you for the info.

# 2 -  I always do never want any ads from these companies, who does?

How you do # 3 and 4?

I am not sure if by disabling # 3 and 4 that might stop updates, what you think?

Can't win with these companies, they are suppose to be the one that ask you if you want it or not and give us the option to DISABLE it but they are saying "we did, just uncheck you don't want marketing ad" but that doesn't do it all. They still showing ads on my Tv to buy Tim Hortons, I DON'T DRINK COFFEE so hence your ads not working Samsung!!

I HATE THIS INVASION OF MY PRIVACY WITH UNSOLICITED ADS!! TAKE IT DOWN PLEASE.

0 Likes
tester2020
Journeyman
Options

what version of the Prime you have? and version firmware you have? as this appears to only affect some or all 2020 models

0 Likes
tester2020
Journeyman
Options

Are you in the OK? might take some time to get it but should only take a few days. If you are ok with resetting your Tv you can try that but I would try resetting the  Smart Hub first.

This is for 2020 QLED models (not sure about other models)

Reset the Smart Hub on a 2020 Samsung TV | Samsung Australia

0 Likes
tester2020
Journeyman
Options

The quick settings is showing it's HDR, whether it was indeed showing it all this time but just not showing up in the quick settings I am not sure. I watched some contents before when it was not showing HDR in the quick settings and then after when it is showing HDR in the quick settings and to me it looks the same. 

So maybe it was just the Tv not displaying it but was actually showing it. Very hard to say as to what is true HDR and whether it all just a gimmick or not, can depends on the camera that shoots it etc. I guess what we can say is that the Prime contents saying it HDR and now it's showing in the quick settings as HDR.

0 Likes
R2wo
Pioneer
Options

@tester2020  Hi tester! My TV is a 2020 model.  It's still definitely not showing HDR. I've reset the Smart Hub today, it's still the same.  I've re-installed the Prime app, it's still the same.  

When HDR10+ is working properly the TV increases the gamma to ST.2084 and this significantly increases the brightness and contrast of the screen. But these settings are not changing on my TV, no HDR, no ST.2084

It makes HDR movies (like Greenland etc) look awful when played with the wrong settings because the TV is not detecting that it's HDR therefore it doesn't switch itself up to the higher brightness etc etc.

Every day I'm trying resets etc and nothing works.  Getting so frustrated with all this! 

0 Likes
tester2020
Journeyman
Options

Sorry I can't test it with Prime since I don't have Prime anymore, however I tested it with YouTube.

This is my findings:

- I had my Tv with picture set at Standard (with brightness at 30)  and gamma set at BT.1886 then I played a YouTube 4K HDR content and brightness changes automatically to 50 and gamma changed to ST.2084 then when I stopped the video it went back to what it was

- did the same things as above in Movie mode and same thing happened the brightness increase and gamma changed from BT.1886 to ST.2084

I wish if I had a chance to test this with Prime, if when showing a Prime content that listed as HDR and if the TV quick settings shows HDR but brightness and gamma didn't changed then the TV is actually not showing it as HDR but unfortunately I can only test this using the app YouTube.

So in this case they are just showing us it's playing in HDR but technically it's not. 

This can be a Prime issue for sure.

So the issue goes beyond just showing HDR in quick settings (which is just a fake) but it's actually not showing the content as HDR.

Most or all of the techs at Samsung and Prime that you chat or call wouldn't have a clue about this.

Let's try emailing the developer of the app, the email is when you go see details in the Prime app, it's samsung-aiv-feedback@amazon.com but that might go into some general inbox.

0 Likes
R2wo
Pioneer
Options

@tester2020  Hi Tester! 

I have absolutely no problems with YouTube in 4K HDR, the settings and gamma change exactly the same as you described.  Even the menu gets brighter,  it's great!

But.... It's a completely different story with Prime, the settings don't change, gamma doesn't change, HDR is NOT displayed on the quick settings either.  The video plays but there's no HDR at all.

0 Likes