Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

QE55Q95T - HDR does not work on Prime Video app

(Topic created on: 23-02-2021 04:09 PM)
GisleHH
Apprentice
Options

This used to work just a few weeks ago. Prime Video would stream 4K HDR content fine on my TV. Now it won't. Even content I have watched in HDR before (The Expanse season 4). Both Netflix and Youtube will turn on HDR for the TV.

I tried amazon customer support. They were not very helpful and told me to contact Samsung. One thing I learned was that the app installed on my TV is not listed in my registered devices on my Prime Video account. My android phone is listed with the android app. My TV is listed but no apps are registered.

Have any of you encountered this problem?

How do I check which is the current version of the Prime Video app for the TV? The app seems to be updated with the latest version. But it also seems that updates has been a problem for others before.

116 REPLIES 116
Mel2
First Poster
Options

55' Q80T UK model here

My Samsungs built into Amazon Prime TV App stopped doing HDR about 2 weeks ago, with no changes to the TVs firmware or the Amazon app since day of purchase around New Year. But today I notice it got an Amazon Prime app update to 2.01.26 (think it was 2.01.23 before today) & now HDR working again on the onboard Prime app.

0 Likes
Mel2
First Poster
Options

With regards Lee2 post yesterday (yes slight different model TV), about the firestick Prime App locking the TV up, its nice to hear someone else with the same issue. I had seen no other person mention this. When you play anything that is HDR10+ on the Firesticks TV app., if you press info button on remote at the show starts you will see HDR & then HDR10+ flashing on & off in top right corner, like its confused as to whether its HDR or HDR10+, after about 2seconds or so of this, it locks the menu system up, & virtually no buttons on the remote respond. It seems to be in HDR, but no clue as to whether its HDR standard or HDR10+, & imo this cannot be doing the TV any good if the process is in a loop like that switching & locking up the TV while ever this show is playing. The TV only comes back to being responsive after about 20 seconds of the show/movie being terminated on the firestick remote.

I have tried this with another device that also plays HDR10+ on same & on different HDMI Ports, & get the same outcome on ALL, menu lockup, remote froze & HDR/HDR10+ flashing on/off upon info button press. So I am inclined to think this is an inherent fault with this model TV (& seeing Lee2 post some others also) on ALL HDMI ports not working with HDR10+.  Looks to me suspiciously like HDR10+ only works on inbuilt Apps & not on HDMI Ports.

0 Likes
Mdsmarques
First Poster
Options

After the update HDR is working for some content but not for others, like the movie Mortal Engines and How to train your dragon 3, is anyone experiencing the same behavior?

Edit: it looks like HDR is working as expected with UHD content and doesn't on movies and series without the UHD flag...

0 Likes
Lee2
First Poster
Options

Yes, exactly that. Renders the whole things useless. Fortunately I don't use it anymore as the TV has all the apps I need but tried it due to the HDR issues. Maybe this will be fixed when the HDR problem is fixed. 

0 Likes
Mel2
First Poster
Options

Well as per my post earlier today, the HDR issue on the TVs built in Prime app as been fixed (at least for me). The issue with lockup on TV menu's/Remote when playing HDR10+ on FireStick still persists though.  I personally think these are two different faults, the built in App HDR bug I suspect was Amazon server side issue which they have fixed.  The FireStick HDR10+ TV/remote lock up issue still persists for me even after HDR10+ on Prime app on TV now works.  For me this feels like HDR10+ just doesn't work on these Samsung TVs on their HDMI ports. Its a shame as anything that is on Prime I cannot watch on the FireStick if its in HDR10+, as I suspect its hammering the CPU of the TV in this loop cycle, & I don't like the idea that I maybe putting undue stress on a fairly new TV.  I am also not convinced its showing me the show/movie in the true potential of what I am seeing on the built in Prime App on the TV (now that as been fixed). This could become more of an issue in future if more services start to support HDR10+ & if Samsung continue their trend of not keeping their TVs built in apps up to date for more than a couple of years. As then we could be in a situation where we are forced to use Apps on outside dongles (aka firestick etc), but with HDR10+ broken on HDMI ports & not even having the facility to tell it to just play standard HDR10 (like the situation we are in with FireStick & Prime app on there atm). Stuck playing services which lockup our TVs whenever it detects HDR10+

0 Likes
tester2020
Journeyman
Options

HDR is now fixed on Prime build in app on my Q80T.

UPDATE: I checked today and I am pleased to say HDR is now showing in the quick settings of my Samsung Q80T using the built in Prime app.

As I had mentioned before that this had to do with a software issue.

The problem was fixed with the update I got today.

The new Prime version is 2.01.26 (update 2/17/2021), the older version was 2.01.23 (updated 10/22/2020). It appears to be release on 17th Feb, 2021  so if anyone still have this issue and have the old version then hopefully you will get it in a few day just ensure your auto updates are on in the app store (smart hub).

If you have this new Prime built in app version and still can't see HDR in your quick settings then I encourage you to reset the smart hub (reset smart hub - go to Settings-Device Care-Self Diagnosis-Reset Smart Hub).

Well my next issue is the unsolicited Ad on Samsung TV when you go to your home screen but I know Samsung wouldn't remove that unless a Government body gets involved or if someone take them to court.

Please check it out in the forum here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/unsolicited-ad-on-smart-tv/m-p/2889629#M60497

0 Likes
Chatwalker
Explorer
Options

You can easily disable the advertisement:

1. Block the server "http://ads.samsungads.com" "http://config.samsungads.com" in your router

2. Go to the data security menu of your Samsung TV and remove all subscriptions related to advertisement

3. Reset your personal advertisement ID (PSID)

4. Disable HbbTV in your Samsung TV

AntS
Options

@Stumblef00t wrote:

Hm. Works on Q950TS but no updates to tv or app. Some TVs have app updates, and some still not working. Probable bug/mismatch with app ports and streaming headers? Hopefully app update will come for sets that's still not working.

Glad to hear that it's starting to work for more folks now!

News from our side is that apparently it was just the temporary removal of the ident that said  something was being watched in HDR (as opposed to HDR not working at all).

Hopefully, the issue will be resolved for more folks. As ever, please the Community know!

0 Likes
R2wo
Pioneer
Options

Still not working for me. No HDR. No update.  I'm getting very annoyed with this!!

0 Likes
R2wo
Pioneer
Options

Question: How are you getting the update for the Prime app?

I've got auto update on, I've tried re installing it. I've reset Internet router. Nothing seems to update it, so how did you guys get it?

0 Likes