Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

QE55Q95T - HDR does not work on Prime Video app

(Topic created on: 20-02-2021 08:41 PM)
GisleHH
Apprentice
Options

This used to work just a few weeks ago. Prime Video would stream 4K HDR content fine on my TV. Now it won't. Even content I have watched in HDR before (The Expanse season 4). Both Netflix and Youtube will turn on HDR for the TV.

I tried amazon customer support. They were not very helpful and told me to contact Samsung. One thing I learned was that the app installed on my TV is not listed in my registered devices on my Prime Video account. My android phone is listed with the android app. My TV is listed but no apps are registered.

Have any of you encountered this problem?

How do I check which is the current version of the Prime Video app for the TV? The app seems to be updated with the latest version. But it also seems that updates has been a problem for others before.

116 REPLIES 116
virology2407
First Poster
Options

I also don't get HDR on my 2020 T-series on Amazon Prime. I find it absolutely ridiculous that Samsung only supports HDR10+ and refuses to implement Dolby Vision, and then one of the few providers that offers HDR10+ content suddenly stops working.

0 Likes
Stumblef00t
Apprentice
Options

Chat with Amazon support. They blame Samsung and asks me to factory reset the TV. I'm not doing a reset and recalibration as this is clearly not a problem with my set.

Buying a Samsung TV and subscribing to Amazon looks more and more like a mistake I won't be doing again.

$8000 TV....

0 Likes
Johnc123
Journeyman
Options

Seeing as Samsung cba responding to this thread is it time to start linking this in social media posts (Twitter, Facebook etc) to see if that gets any traction?

Just found a link to email the Samsung CEO, I suggest we all do that and link to this post.

https://contactus.samsung.com/customer/contactus/formmail/mail/MailQuestionGeneralNew.jsp?siteId=594...

0 Likes
Stumblef00t
Apprentice
Options

" I suggest we all do that and link to this post."

Done.

R2wo
Pioneer
Options

@Johnc123   I've sent it too.

The confusing thing is that HDR did actually work (for one day) which kinda makes me think the problem could be with Amazon Prime and their server, because when it worked (on that one day) the TV settings would switch over to HDR10+ before I even started playing the video, ie: as soon as I selected the movie from the Amazon Prime menu the TV recognised this as an HDR movie and it automatically switched.  It makes me think there's some kind of coding coming from Amazon Prime that tells the TV to switch before you play it.

tester2020
Journeyman
Options

YES, that's one of the possibility that it's the app itself.

0 Likes
tester2020
Journeyman
Options

You're correct. I forgot to mentioned that I did a RESET of the Smart Hib and a RESET OF THE ENTIRE TV and that didn't work. If a reset of the Tv does not work then it clearly have nothing to do with a setting or anything like that.

It's clearly something with THAT VERSION of Prime app 2.01.23 (last updated 10/22/2020). 

Since you have the Q95T and I have the Q80T, not sure if these two TVs are running the same firmware version or not, just to determine if it's a combination of the firmware and the Prime version.

What version of the Tv firmware are you running if it's different than m 1460.9 on Q80T then it 99.9% the Prime app.

0 Likes
tester2020
Journeyman
Options

I think you should go Samsung website online that have your Tv and put a review there and I will do the same on my end. Only reason I am suggesting this is because it appear that Samsung is looking at review and replying to them but not looking at these issues posted here which is sad.

I must say I am strongly thinking my next Tv will not be Samsung for many reason (not because their Tv shows terrible because it don't) but because of when you look at the entire packages you will get more form an Android or Roku Tv as of now.

Android and Roku you get MUCH more apps and free content, no one can beat Android right now for apps plus you can side download any apk file (which I personally wouldn't do on a Tv). Roku on the other hand is adding more and more contents where Samsung is not at least not for English speaking customers.

0 Likes
R2wo
Pioneer
Options

@tester2020   You have the Q80T and I actually have the TU8000 (very different models) and yet both have the exact same issue, so even more pointing towards the Amazon Prime app being the one that needs fixing. 

0 Likes
tester2020
Journeyman
Options

one question: what version of the Prime app you have?

0 Likes