Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

QE55Q95T - HDR does not work on Prime Video app

(Topic created on: 11-02-2021 03:42 PM)
GisleHH
Apprentice
Options

This used to work just a few weeks ago. Prime Video would stream 4K HDR content fine on my TV. Now it won't. Even content I have watched in HDR before (The Expanse season 4). Both Netflix and Youtube will turn on HDR for the TV.

I tried amazon customer support. They were not very helpful and told me to contact Samsung. One thing I learned was that the app installed on my TV is not listed in my registered devices on my Prime Video account. My android phone is listed with the android app. My TV is listed but no apps are registered.

Have any of you encountered this problem?

How do I check which is the current version of the Prime Video app for the TV? The app seems to be updated with the latest version. But it also seems that updates has been a problem for others before.

116 REPLIES 116
Con2501
Journeyman
Options

I am experiencing the exact same issue. I have a QE55Q80T. Watching UHD HDR content on Amazon Prime was working fully up until 2 days ago. Now the HDR stream will not engage even on content which I have watched previously which I know is HDR10+ compliant as shown on the quick settings tab. Netflix HDR and YouTube HDR working fine which indicates that it maybe an issue with the Amazon Prime app on the TV. 

0 Likes
Phil Hull
Apprentice
Options

Q90t same problem here. Thought I'd jump on board so we can get this sorted sooner rather than later. Can play 4k HDR on prime app on xbox so it's something to do with the in built app. Not sure if that is Samsung to fix or amazon prime but hopefully we will get a fix

0 Likes
szilske
Journeyman
Options

Same here on my Q80T. It's shame, I can switch to my Apple TV 4K, but it does not support HDR10+.

It works on my 2019 Series 7 UHDTV as well...

0 Likes
GisleHH
Apprentice
Options

This is too bad. I hope this will get a fix. According to Prime Video customer service the built in app is not registered under my devices. Do you have the same problem? You can check this by logging in to Prime via a web browser. Under My Devices your TV will be listed. However, the app itself is not listed.

0 Likes
szilske
Journeyman
Options

I received the following answer today from Amazon tech support:

"im Moment kommt es bei einigen Geräten aus dem Jahr 2020 dazu, dass HDR10/HDR10+ Elemente nicht als solche erkannt werden. Samsung arbeitet bereits an einem Hotfix. Ein genaues Datum dafür ist nicht bekannt, wird nur mit Ende Februar angegeben"

tl;dr: There are issues with some of the 2020 models, Samsung is working on a hotfix, which is expected (roughly) end of Feb 2021.
GisleHH
Apprentice
Options

I hope this will fix it 😀 It is still strange that HDR-playback worked a couple of weeks ago, and then suddenly stopped working. I have tried resetting the smart hub and a factory reset, to no avail.

szilske
Journeyman
Options

Strange indeed! But working in software development, I can think of plenty ways how something like that can happen. Amazon changing something in stream headers, complying to standards which are not 100% implemented by Samsung - something like that 😃 

0 Likes
Con2501
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the update regarding the impending software fix. Hope this remedies it. I know this is a very first world problem🤣

Most annoying is watching some content now on Prime, you get massive black bars top and bottom when these didn't exist before. My eyes now gravitate towards them as if though they are generating their own gravitational pull. 

0 Likes
Stumblef00t
Apprentice
Options

Same problem on Q950TS. Amazon support had never heard about it...

0 Likes