Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE55Q80R diagonal lines

(Topic created on: 18-12-2019 10:54 PM)
iFL
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

I bought new tv and I am noticing diagonal lines when looking at tv from side (see attached images). Lines are visible only on grey/darker colors and they are in all sources (satelite, youtube, netflix). In picture test lines are not visible. 

On RTINGS mentioned something similar: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled

"We observed some weird diagonal stripes that are visible when you look at the screen from up close and from the left."

Its really anoying to watch tv from side because of these lines. I tried reseting settings, change various pictures modes and nothing helped. These lines only disapear with game mode turned on when watching content through playstation.

Today, I was back to shop and looked to another 80R there and there were same diagonal lines.

Could it be software problem? Or how can i get rid of these lines?

974321BC-CD90-4C55-89B1-8793AA00B531.jpeg

254 REPLIES 254
Wakcode
Pioneer
Options

@Pedpin wrote:
To test game mode , only with a game console? Or can we force it in any other way?

I do believe that game mode is automatically set and disables the adjustment tv settings . 
for example you cannot seem to adjust the expert  picture setting in game mode as you can in tv mode . 

iFL
Pioneer
Options

Game mode can be turned on with any device conected through HDMI. However it cannot be turned on within apps in TV or within TV source.

jdp117
Navigator
Options
I barely even used the first TV so I can't say. When I suspected an issue with the remotes / receiver, I was straight onto Samsung and they issued me a replacement instantly and it was packed back into the box within the hour. So I spent no time testing the picture at all.
Wakcode
Pioneer
Options

@iFL wrote:

Game mode can be turned on with any device conected through HDMI. However it cannot be turned on within apps in TV or within TV source.

Yes . So I have to watch tv in game mode to avoid the lines?

jdp117
Navigator
Options
So technically you could use a streaming stick or box (Fire TV, Now TV, Roku TV) for example and enable game mode and get rid of the stripes that way?
Wakcode
Pioneer
Options

@jdp117 wrote:
So technically you could use a streaming stick or box (Fire TV, Now TV, Roku TV) for example and enable game mode and get rid of the stripes that way?

So yes. To avoid the lines you have use game mode . 
mai how do I adjust the expert picture settings from Natrual, Dynamic, standard  and movie 
But is this acceptable tho , when spending so much on a tv ? 

iFL
Pioneer
Options

@jdp117 @Wakcode yes you could use some streaming box to avoid stripes. But of course it is not solution. We havent bought this expensive TV to watch content through some cheap box. 

jdp117
Navigator
Options

@iFL wrote:

@jdp117 @Wakcode yes you could use some streaming box to avoid stripes. But of course it is not solution. We havent bought this expensive TV to watch content through some cheap box. 

Yeah of course, I agree it isn't acceptable at all. Well I think as this is my second Q80R in as little as 2 weeks I'll be sending it back for a refund if possible. Such a shame because everything else about the TV is really top quality. Good luck to you both with yours. Keep us updated on your technician visit, if you can?

QBee
Explorer
Options

Yes, a movie played from the connected HDD switches the game mode off. The same scene (Avatar, 19:51) on blu ray player with game mode switched on unfortunately shows the same stripes😞  You can see the stripes in my posted picture. I switched game mode on and off several times. Absolutely no effect on the stripes in this scene.

When viewed up close (30 cm from the screen), the stripes look like small dots at a distance of 1-2 cm and approx. 2-3 cm behind the screen. It is a kind of 3D effect that you see. It looks like the LEDs of the backlight. The optical layer acts like a polarization filter on a photo camera. It reduces reflections and you can look into the TV. 

It is a killer feature of the Q80 panel: You'll get a look behind the scenes :jack-o-lantern::shocked-face-with-exploding-head:

Pedpin
Navigator
Options
Its seams a good explanation. the main question is-> its a SW probelm, and can be fixed, or its an HW probelm and we will have big problems.

What is the opinion of the forum colleagues?