Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q9FN random reboot

(Topic created on: 15-08-2019 10:29 AM)
Statherian
Journeyman
Options

Hi, new to the forum.

My 4 month old 2018 Q9FN has started doing quick random reboots the last few days. It suddenly qoes black, displays the Samsung logo and then is back to the same input - takes about 3-4 seconds.  So far it has only done so while using my Xbox One X (which is annoying), but at random times - 1 time each evening. I've reattached all HDMI cables and the One Connect cable, and setup all inputs from scratch. I have not done a full reset yet, although I guess that's the next step. I'm on the latest firmware.

Anyone experienced the same? Is this the fist sign of a faulty One connect box?

353 REPLIES 353
Nitratas
Apprentice
Options
I'm having the same issue - random reboots described above. Both with my PC and laptop connectec through hdmi. Both are using nvidia graphic cards so not related to freesync. It feels like the problem is caused by anything connected by hdmi to me. The model is QE55 Q9FN
0 Likes
TracyR
Options

@Nitratas 

What windows version are you running on, and what games are you having the issues with?

Can you also let me know the graphics card brand and model, along with the driver version?

:smiling-face:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

0 Likes
Nitratas
Apprentice
Options

@TracyR

It's GTX 1070 (Strix) on PC and 840M on laptop. Driver version 431.60. I doubt it's related to any game though as TV has been rebooting on any title on both 1080 and 4k res. Also without any game running (just desktop). As long as it has HDMI connected the random reboots happen. 

BogD
Explorer
Options

Well, I guess WoW isn't safe from reboots either, and factory resetting doesn't help.

Just had my first reboot after factory resetting the TV about 4 days ago (while playing WoW).

This leads me to believe the games I haven't had reboots in aren't actually "safe" from reboots either, just that I haven't had them happen in them yet (probably didn't play enough). Except maybe the 60-fps locked ones, but not sure about those either.

0 Likes
BogD
Explorer
Options
@Nitratas doesn't freesync on nvidia gpus only work through DisplayPort exclusively? Are you using FreeSync at all?
0 Likes
Nitratas
Apprentice
Options

Actually the TV went completely nuts now - random reboots with no apparent 'triggers' or anything connected to the TV. I'm just going to RMA it / call for service

Mitsoscupra
First Poster
Options
I have with q6fn exactly the same problem. I also noticed that sometimes when I watch something in Netflix the brightness changes without reason
0 Likes
Jonathan831
First Poster
Options

Having the exact same issues with ultimate freesync and my xbox one x on my q8dn. Happens randomly and while playing any game. Was hoping firmware 1270 was going to fix it but it has not.

Really hope samsung pull the finger out and fix this. The features of this tv are the main reason i bought it.

Masq
Navigator
Options

I’ve had the reboots while playing Forza 6 only on Xbox One X, which I believe is locked at 60fps. Not sure this is tied to frame rate?

0 Likes
n1ghttrap
Journeyman
Options

Chiming in with a NU8000 55" model, firmware 1260.8, Win10, RX 580.  Issue seems to have started around a May firmware update as others of mentioned.  Seems to be related to FreeSync.  Reboot interval is completely random, but seems to be around 2-4hours of uptime on average.  I've left it on overnight or at work with games that will not restore when the TV reboots, like Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night which will show the desktop whenever this issue occurs and this seems to happen more often than not when I do this.  Of note, I've never seen a reboot during general desktop usage where FreeSync is not engaged; only in games.

Tried different firmware revisions over the last few months, HDMI cables, HDMI ports, factory reset multiple times throughout different updates, AND had a licensed Samsung technician come by and replace the motherboard per warranty.  The issue persists.

Samsung, PLEASE fix this issue.  Or PLEASE release the older firmware in a format that the TV will allow, as you cannot install older revisions as is.

Others, any confirmation that this does or does not occur on the 2019 models?  Sadly, there's no reasonable variable refresh alternative when it comes to displays of this size, and I bought this TV specifically for the combination of size, Freesync, refresh rate, and low latency.   When it *works* it works fantastically but this is unacceptable.  I do NOT recommend this TV for anyone Googling it and you'd do well to research any other TV from Samsung about this issue until this is officially resolved.

0 Likes