Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q95T intermittent sound loss

(Topic created on: 19-08-2020 09:38 AM)
Shell20
Apprentice
Options

We have a new Q95T set up with a Samsung HW-Q70t soundbar.  It keeps dropping sound briefly, then coming in again. It’s a second or two or less each time, but enough to miss a word or two.  It happens whether we have it set to tv sound or tv+soundbar output.  

I spoke to a Samsung live chat person who had me unplug and reset everything and start again, but even so it happened 4 times last night over a 4 hour period.  Not a lot you may say but not something you expect from a top of the range tv.  My 18 year old tv didn’t have this problem.  Last night it was 4 times the night before it was every 2 minutes or less throughout an entire film!

Also it takes a long time when switching channels before sound kicks in.  Again not an issue with the old tv. But another irritating niggle.

Does anyone have this issue or better still have resolved it?  If not I can see me chatting to John Lewis about a change of tv!

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
mattchoo
First Poster
Options
Try going into settings - audio and change the digital audio output from auto to pcm. should hopefully sort it. hope it helps out.
0 Likes
Shell20
Apprentice
Options

I changed auto to pass through as on auto lip sync was way out but by differing amounts on different programs.  Can I ask what’s the difference between pcm and pass through? I thought I read somewhere that pass through was best as I have earc  soundbar attached to earc On one connect box.  I’d like to understand the difference. That’s all.

Also is it possible the problem could be a new high speed hdmi + Ethernet cable?  Only had tv 2 weeks but to start with had an old hdmi cable attaching soundbar and not sure we had the problem then.  So wondering if it could be anything to do with the hdmi & Ethernet cable?

Its this one that I bought...

Ibra Red 2.1 hdmi cable 8k ultra high speed 48gbps lead. Supports 8k@60hz, 4k@120hz, 4320p, compatible with fire tv, 3 d support, Ethernet function,8k uhd, 3d-Xbox, p...

0 Likes
Shell20
Apprentice
Options

I tried changing to pcm but was back to the lip sync issues via the sky q box.  Not as bad as the auto setting but still there.  It’s only pass through that gets rid of lip sync issues.

0 Likes
mattchoo
First Poster
Options
sorry, I never got a notification of a reply 🙈. Did it resolve the sound drop out changing to pcm? pcm and pass through is about the different audio formats. true pass through is better and pcm up to 7.1 you can only use pcm with a hdmi cable. might be worth trying different hdmi cables with the different settings see what works and what doesn't. Also check the audio settings on the sky q box to make sure or try hdmi set to dolby digital and optical set to normal. If that doesn't resolve it try going into each of you adjustable lip sync options. sky box, TV etc and set to zero. For the TV, unplug the audio cable you are using. go onto normal TV source and check the lip sync settings again. sometimes it can show as a different reading to when you have the audio cables plugged in.
Hope this helps.
0 Likes
mattchoo
First Poster
Options
sorry for late reply!
0 Likes
Shell20
Apprentice
Options

Unfortunately pcm brought in lip sync issues on sky.  So we switched back to pass through fairly quickly.  I couldnt alter the soundbar as that would have put apps like netflix etc out. They had no lip sync issues.  Sky q & tv sound adjustments didnt work either.  Just couldnt get lip sync right.

I tried 3 different & new hdmi cables and changed the sky q cable.  

Sadly we returned the tv & soundbar today.  We're now back to the drawing board.  Wondering if we should try the q90t (the one connect box got really hot - surely a fire hazard?) or Sony a8 or lg cx.  Or any other.  And what soundbar too...same make as tv or different....  Its annoying that the samsung soundbar offers are no longer available.  We are really hesitant now, not wanting to make another mistake!

Thank you for your help though.  I wish we had solved the problem.

0 Likes
mattchoo
First Poster
Options
Ahh sorry about that. the q70 sounds really good too! Best to go into places like richer sounds if you have one nearby. They would be able to give you good advice. Even currys as they have demos available. just to get an idea. I'm using bose at the moment. its not the cheapest but it sounds great. depends if you want dolby atmos I guess. Anyway I hope you get sorted and find the right one. sorry I couldn't have been any more help.
cheers
matt
0 Likes
Shell20
Apprentice
Options
Do you find the bose works well with samsung? My head is spinning with whether to stick with same make tv and soundbar for ease of use ie control with one remote etc Or to go for a different soundbar.
I've been looking for dolby atmos and earc as I read you need earc for atmos and it helps with lip sync issues. We did have q95t tv and hw- q70t soundbar.
0 Likes
mattchoo
First Poster
Options
did you get anything sorted? I've not used bose with Samsung so not sure on that one. as regards to earc, it is the best option although you will get atmos through hdmi. just better bandwidth on earc.
0 Likes