Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90T subtitle dimming finally fixed

(Topic created on: 01-10-2020 11:14 AM)
Sirlancelot
Apprentice
Options

So I just updated to the new 1402 firmware that came out yesterday and started watching Pacific Rim in 4K UHD Blu-Ray, usually I turn off subtitles to avoid the subtitle dimming bug where it dims the subtitles and the whole screen during dark scenes to avoid blooming but half way through the night scene I realized I forgot to turn subtitles off but it wasn't dimming like before. To confirm my suspicion, I looked up Vincent's video and found the scene in Batman just like the video and took a photo with my phone, here's the result below. 

As you can see, it no longer dims the subtitles! As someone who prefers to watch with subtitles on all the time, Thank you so much Samsung!

old comparison from HDTV Test Youtube channelold comparison from HDTV Test Youtube channelAfter updateAfter update

8 REPLIES 8
Q95T
Journeyman
Options

Nice! What is fixed more? Any diference in blooming, dark, picture quality? Hdr, gaming?

0 Likes
luithefirst
Apprentice
Options

I also have a Q90T and am still on 1304. I find the dimming with texts one of the little annoying things, but I mostly notice it with SDR content, like youtube videos that have some texts. It sometimes occurs that some are darker and some lighter, while they should be all equal. Of course also in the credits or subtitle texts in movies, but I don't often watch with them enabled. For some reason, I would say that in HDR mode this is much better even with high dimming, while in SDR already standard produces noticeable differences in brightness. I would prefer something in the middle and would accept a little bit of blooming, or maybe an additional setting would be even better. I hope the fimeware will be also soon available for me.

0 Likes
RouDeR
Pathfinder
Options

So you have BLOOMING again with the subtitles... ROFL

0 Likes
Sirlancelot
Apprentice
Options

Yea, I rather have a little bit of blooming shown here in my photo (which is exacerbated by camera exposure and not noticeable in my actual viewing) than having my whole screen dimmed and dark subtitles. I think a lot of people feel the same way and complained to Samsung, which is why they decided to patch it.

jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

I wish they would hurry up and put the 1402 update out in the EU for all QLEDs (I have Q85T)... Need these fixes!!

0 Likes
Hayco
First Poster
Options

Hi,
I update also my Q95T with the 1402.6 firmware but I have the same dimmed subtitles issues (very grey in dark scenes).

Can you provide your Picture settings? 

0 Likes
rzy
First Poster
Options

I just bought Q90T and the firmware version seems to be 1403.1. Despite the firmware version subtitles get dimmed which is really annoying. Is there a fix available?

0 Likes
nickveekens
Journeyman
Options

So now fw 1497.0 is out but still subs are dimmed during dark scenes. No I don't want to change video modes, no  I don't want to set local dimming  to low (because that makes the picture really dim)...

I want Samsung to fix this. It's a $4000 TV for Christ's sake....And while you're at it...fix the Dark HDR issues...

Samsung take your responsibility.