Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90T/Q95T : Purple Ghosting (even with firmware 1460.9)

(Topic created on: 28-09-2020 05:44 AM)
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Hey everyone...

So I have a question about Inverse Ghosting on my 55Q90T while playing on a PS4 Pro and a PS3 (I don't have a PC or a Xbox to test another hardware).
Since update 1460,9 (and after multiple factory reset) :

• no more inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus OFF), but the picture quality is not what I expect from that TV (light color banding, very bad local dimming and weird dirty screen effects)
  • inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus ON), but some of the worse consequences of Game Mode are less evident
  • inverse ghosting present in any other picture mode outside Game Mode (Standard/Movie/Filmmaker), but of course with a lot better picture quality all around.

So, my thing is I'm not strict about response time. Unless I'm playing a competitive online shooter or fighter, I don't really notice the difference. So I would like to enjoy the better picture quality of the picture modes outside Game Mode, but the inverse ghosting (especially in dark games or during night time in open world games) is unbearable.

What is worrying me is that as far as I know most people don't have any inverse ghosting issue after the 1304 patch.
Just to be clear, my "ghosting" looks like a purple silhouette that appears in front of dark objects on light(er) backgrounds when camera panning.

I thought maybe my panel was faulty, but then why would it go away with the patch in Game Mode? Also, the weird thing is that, sometimes, while tinkering with the settings, the ghosting goes away for just a little bit, and then comes back for whatever reason (without me changing anything).

Some games that will immediately show me inverse ghosting :

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey (HDR) : go to a temple by night an camera pan looking at the columns
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (HDR) : by night, look at the trees
  • Ashen : inside a dark cave, look at stone columns
  • Watch_Dogs 2 : by night, look at the trees in a park
  • Dark Souls Remastered : first bonfire in Undead Burg, stand next the bonfire and look at the exit
  • Call of Duty - Infinite Warfare  : asteroids in space missions

Thanks for anyone who can help, I'm at a loss here!

124 REPLIES 124
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

So many Q90T owners seem to be reporting purple ghosting. On a Q80T I get very little purple ghosting, but instead there's a TON of green ghosting. I used the PS5 video capture to record two scenes from COD that display a lot of green inverse ghosting for me. I'm curious if the same green ghosting is visible on the Q90T as well, or if this is one of the differences between the Q80T and Q90T panels (or even panel lottery, I've seen some Q90T owners complain about green ghosting as well).

Here are the videos, watch them using the YouTube app on the TV itself. If your TV has the same ghosting issues as mine, you should see a ton of green ghosting between the bars of the railing.

There's less ghosting if game mode is disabled (but still visible), and the YouTube app on the TV does not let you enable game mode. You can simulate roughly what it looks like with game mode enabled by setting the picture clarity -> blur reduction setting to 10, as that applies a pixel overclock to the panel that is forced on when game mode is enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9etumsDyNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXFHe525mTI

And here's an example of what it looks like on my set (TVs YouTube app, blur reduction set to 10 so it looks more like game mode):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94dgOHy7MvY

0 Likes
El_Sattchmo
Explorer
Options

I have done some more testing using the settings previously discussed on the Xbox Series X.

It's ordered from bad to worse.

4k HDR 60hz

RDR2 - Ghosting is there, the colour is dim but still visible.

4k HDR 60hz VRR

RDR2 - Ghosting is there, the colour is now brighter and easy to spot.

4k HDR 120hz

RDR2 - Ghosting is there, the colour is very bright (purple-ish) and very noticable.

4k HDR 120hz VRR

RDR2 - Ghosting is there, the colour is very bright (purple-ish) and extremely distracting.

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

So, I can't help you with your Xbox settings, as I don't own any Xboxes and have no idea what most of the settings you've listed do...

Do you get the Ghosting only outside of Game Mode?

Does switching between the modes help in any way?

On my side, I have been testing for hours, on many different games, and I'm baffled : it worked every single time, with every game tested! Max 5 switches needed, generally 3 is the magic number, but sometimes 1 (or even 0) is enough.

Changing games resets everything.

Switching to another source too.

Turning the tv off and on too.

It's extremely weird but for now, as a workaround until Samsung fixes its tvs (if it happens), I'll take it...

Example :

This is Resident Evil VII with purple ghosting :

And this is the same game without :

At least now I know for sure that it is Firmware based, and not Hardware! Now to figure why the f*** it's happening!?

El_Sattchmo
Explorer
Options

Dynamic Movie Mode
Picture Clarity Settings Off
Noticeable inverted ghosting

Picture Clarity Settings Custom + LED Clear Motion
cant tell due to the extreme amount of judder on-screen when panning the camera.

Picture Clarity Settings Custom + Judder Reduction 1
you can see the ghosting.

El_Sattchmo
Explorer
Options

I took my Xbox down to the retailer and tested it on the exact same TV model, and it showed the ghosting. I managed to get a refund, they tried everything to get out of it. Good luck with your TV, I appreciate the troubleshooting help.

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Good to know you got a refund.

Did they provide any kind of possible explanation as to why the ghosting was happening?

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

So here is an example of how I temporarily "fix" the purple ghosting :

You have everything detailed in the description, but in short, the purple ghosting went away after only 2 switches.

Now if anyone can explain to me how that can happen, that would make my day. I have tried with a PS3, a PS4pro, a PS5 and a PC with multiple HDMI cables and on different HDMI ports.

Oh, and by the way, I noticed something even weirder when testing the method in Assassin's Creed Origins : I was playing with the in gamecamera while Movie Mode was loading and I saw the purple ghosting the moment the picture came back, and then it disappeared in fraction of second (no capture of that, sorry!). That means that the tv is loading some motion handling algorithms and setting some values (most certainly pixel response time), but it's not doing it right everytime, as it doesn't manage to do it before the picture loads completely...

0 Likes
El_Sattchmo
Explorer
Options

They said they hadn't seen it before and looked surprised. I posted about the entire thing on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/4kTV/comments/kp6czb/samsung_q80t_inverted_ghosting/

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Nice, I've posted my experience as a reply to your post (and it some other threads too, just to be sure the information gets out!).

0 Likes
Cerativ
Explorer
Options

I suffer from the same problem. Ghosting is visible when 60 or 120 fps is enabled . Samsung Q80T