Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90T/Q95T : Purple Ghosting (even with firmware 1460.9)

(Topic created on: 31-12-2021 05:45 AM)
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Hey everyone...

So I have a question about Inverse Ghosting on my 55Q90T while playing on a PS4 Pro and a PS3 (I don't have a PC or a Xbox to test another hardware).
Since update 1460,9 (and after multiple factory reset) :

• no more inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus OFF), but the picture quality is not what I expect from that TV (light color banding, very bad local dimming and weird dirty screen effects)
  • inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus ON), but some of the worse consequences of Game Mode are less evident
  • inverse ghosting present in any other picture mode outside Game Mode (Standard/Movie/Filmmaker), but of course with a lot better picture quality all around.

So, my thing is I'm not strict about response time. Unless I'm playing a competitive online shooter or fighter, I don't really notice the difference. So I would like to enjoy the better picture quality of the picture modes outside Game Mode, but the inverse ghosting (especially in dark games or during night time in open world games) is unbearable.

What is worrying me is that as far as I know most people don't have any inverse ghosting issue after the 1304 patch.
Just to be clear, my "ghosting" looks like a purple silhouette that appears in front of dark objects on light(er) backgrounds when camera panning.

I thought maybe my panel was faulty, but then why would it go away with the patch in Game Mode? Also, the weird thing is that, sometimes, while tinkering with the settings, the ghosting goes away for just a little bit, and then comes back for whatever reason (without me changing anything).

Some games that will immediately show me inverse ghosting :

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey (HDR) : go to a temple by night an camera pan looking at the columns
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (HDR) : by night, look at the trees
  • Ashen : inside a dark cave, look at stone columns
  • Watch_Dogs 2 : by night, look at the trees in a park
  • Dark Souls Remastered : first bonfire in Undead Burg, stand next the bonfire and look at the exit
  • Call of Duty - Infinite Warfare  : asteroids in space missions

Thanks for anyone who can help, I'm at a loss here!

124 REPLIES 124
Selfscience
Apprentice
Options

No , they didint ,i will contact customer rights too ,cause case is open but nothing happens , samsung support is a joke.

0 Likes
El_Sattchmo
Explorer
Options

It's different in every country,but the clause I used was "Fit for purpose" as it wasn't; I purchased it for playing games, it doesn't do that correctly. Good luck mate.

0 Likes
gontos
Student
Options
0 Likes
cerwen80
First Poster
Options

Hi, I'm a new owner of a tu7020 and I am experiencing this issue. I don't like enhancements so I made sure game mode is off before I even played any games on it. I initially notice strange ghosting while playing mass effect 3, on some surfaces with text of a particular tone, but nowhere else. I then noticed it happening in horizon zero dawn, but only in the Dam facility and not really anywhere else. both those games were HDR and made my tv screen blink off and on which tells me they were sending some kind of notify to the tv.
I hadn't noticed any other issue until today when I loaded final fantasy 15. this game doesn't seem to use a dedicated hdr mode, but seems to use windows 10's implementation somehow. anyway, I started to notice this purple silhouette around ignis and the other while running around hammerhead garage. for some reason it seems really prominent in this game and it's making me feel really crappy. I feel like I'm playing on a TV from the 80s with this ghosting on everything. this is not what I expect from a modern television.
I haven't noticed it when watching movies or animation, but now I'm worried it is going to be there and I'm going to start noticing it more and more and it's going to ruin everything,.
I bought this from amazon so I really don't want to have to be sending stuff back and getting replacements, I can't take that stress and I can't be without a gaming screen, I've already disposed of the old one. also, getting this on and off the wall mount is a nightmare. I really think samsung needs to fix this issue. it's clear that this is not a hardware fault, it's happening with so many screens, this must be a firmware issue. maybe a problem with timings? red and green pixels changing at a different time to the blue pixels maybe?

edit: firmware is 2101

0 Likes
Selfscience
Apprentice
Options

What can i tell you is not make you happy. I owned samsung 65 inch 90T , had same problem , green artifacts on brown color , they change the panel , and the motherboard, that did not help. My friend has 55 inch 90T , i was at his home with my pc , nothing similar to my artifacts in same gamrs in same places , no problems on smaller size tv. So i asked service , whom changed panel and mobo on my tv. They sad to me that 65 incher has a hardware diffrences, controler is not the same, so it is not clear is it software or is it hardware. I returned my , cause problem was not solved.

0 Likes
Danboy76
Journeyman
Options

Ok I have  55Q80T, and in my experience (xbox series X set to 120hz, tv set to game mode, game motion plus off), the inverse ghosting is present on lots of games. The worst offender now for me is Halo infinite. Especially on MP where it shows all of the players on your team at the start of the match. 

I can drastically reduce the ghosting by setting my xbox to 60hz instead of 120hz. I spoke to Samsung three weeks ago. The first three agents put the phone down on me once I said that I had a ghosting problem. The fourth listened and then told me that they were aware of the problem and that it is the technological limit of their products and they wont send a technician because there is nothing that they can do.

Basically if you bought a 2020 set for 120hz gaming you got the middle finger from Samsung because the knowingly sold you a tv that does not correspond with the specifications and they knew about it when they were advertising them. I am in France and have 6 months of my two year warranty left so I am deciding what steps to take now.

I thought that sony were bad, but Samsung their equals.

0 Likes
Selfscience
Apprentice
Options

Yeah if i dropped to 60hz on my 90T , ghosting was gone, i was to my other fiend that has sony 90h , 65 inch , in Resident evil village on 120hz , it has purple ghosting too , it seems that 2020 was the first hdmi 2.1 implementation to tv's and it wasn't good... I waited 4 months , samsung after registering my ticket  on Samsung help, first time they closed it , nor even notifying me , than i started to be rude , told that i will give this problem to news papers , than they opened ticket one again, but no action were taken from them, ok so i did next , i jus got to the tv to service , they changed panel and motherboard, i came home , new panel was a bit cleaner , but the problem persisted, so i waited for last software update , that doesn't help , i returned tv to them, and asked refund, cause i payed all money for a tv , and got something about 90% of satisfaction. What is odd , on this models samsung used 8 bit ,plus frc panels , when they never did that on high end models , it was my 4th samsung tv, i'm not samsung hater or something , but this ***** experience with samsung was biggest bad thing that happened to me ever, they just ignore you , they close ticket, they never called back about the issue. 

0 Likes
cerwen80
First Poster
Options

mine is only a 50 inch screen though. I'm starting to notice this issue in lots more places and it's making me very depressed.

0 Likes
Selfscience
Apprentice
Options

Jup , i feel you , it took me about 9months to battle this bad stuff , to finally return the tv... Its sad that samsung has no statments and no info about this problem , but they know about it 4 sure. In one game that was not present was Doom Eternal. 

0 Likes
Felinghetti
First Poster
Options

Hey guys, 50" TU 7172 owner here. I too have this problem, mainly on PS5 on HDR games and I started to notice it on new Netflix shows (a little) too. 

TV shows and HBO are not a problem. HDR shows on Netflix have a little bit of purple ghosting, but PS5, boy is it brutal there. Returnal was the first and worst where I noticed it, and since then I see it in every darker area of any game. Mostly dark grey is the new purple I would say. Also, with brighter icons there is a black smudge pulling behind them.

Adding some clips:

https://youtu.be/gHh931BcbWg

https://youtu.be/NZoJWpeMSow

https://youtu.be/OiiWwQxPc6w

I had technitians look into it, they changed the motherboard with no effect, and they told me that TV is not powerful enough to cope with color processing... This is my last Samsung TV, this will be going into my daughters room and either LG C1 or Sony Bravia XR will replace it.

0 Likes