Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90T/Q95T : Purple Ghosting (even with firmware 1460.9)

(Topic created on: 07-11-2020 05:29 PM)
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Hey everyone...

So I have a question about Inverse Ghosting on my 55Q90T while playing on a PS4 Pro and a PS3 (I don't have a PC or a Xbox to test another hardware).
Since update 1460,9 (and after multiple factory reset) :

• no more inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus OFF), but the picture quality is not what I expect from that TV (light color banding, very bad local dimming and weird dirty screen effects)
  • inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus ON), but some of the worse consequences of Game Mode are less evident
  • inverse ghosting present in any other picture mode outside Game Mode (Standard/Movie/Filmmaker), but of course with a lot better picture quality all around.

So, my thing is I'm not strict about response time. Unless I'm playing a competitive online shooter or fighter, I don't really notice the difference. So I would like to enjoy the better picture quality of the picture modes outside Game Mode, but the inverse ghosting (especially in dark games or during night time in open world games) is unbearable.

What is worrying me is that as far as I know most people don't have any inverse ghosting issue after the 1304 patch.
Just to be clear, my "ghosting" looks like a purple silhouette that appears in front of dark objects on light(er) backgrounds when camera panning.

I thought maybe my panel was faulty, but then why would it go away with the patch in Game Mode? Also, the weird thing is that, sometimes, while tinkering with the settings, the ghosting goes away for just a little bit, and then comes back for whatever reason (without me changing anything).

Some games that will immediately show me inverse ghosting :

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey (HDR) : go to a temple by night an camera pan looking at the columns
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (HDR) : by night, look at the trees
  • Ashen : inside a dark cave, look at stone columns
  • Watch_Dogs 2 : by night, look at the trees in a park
  • Dark Souls Remastered : first bonfire in Undead Burg, stand next the bonfire and look at the exit
  • Call of Duty - Infinite Warfare  : asteroids in space missions

Thanks for anyone who can help, I'm at a loss here!

124 REPLIES 124
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

That's going to be very difficult. I have a screenshot of an official Samsung rep on their Twitter account from my country telling me that they don't see any purple ghosting in my video of Resident Evil 7 (see my post  titled UPDATE 4 on the previous page of this thread)... So denying the issue in front of plain evidence is not above them.

Right now Samsung is refusing to send a tech to check on my tv since their remote image/video tests came up negative. After a lot of back and forth, they accepted to ask their tech service firm to contact me, which they did. I had to send my videos and to explain my issues, again. And then nothing for 2 days and when finally they answered their phone, they told me they contacted Samsung who told them that there was nothing wrong with my tv. Since no tech was present when I called (yep, no tech present in a tech service firm at 2pm on a Friday!!!), they are making me wait until Monday just to know if I can make an appointment. It is absolutely crazy that they don't even agree to sending a tech, even after I accepted that I would pay the tech if he didn't find any issue! So, my confidence in Samsung is close to zero right now.

I'm trying my chance with the seller (even though I bought the TV 4 months ago... I know, I was stupid to trust reps on the phone who told me to wait for updates) and the first contact was a lot more positive. I'm waiting for them to call on Monday too. Fingers crossed.

For the price we pay for a premium product, not only having these issues is unacceptable, but that the customer service to help solve them is so terrible is unimaginable!

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

If some of you are from the US, a new firmware has been posted on the official page. Maybe try it on and tell us if it fixed your issues...

daparky
Pathfinder
Options

There's a lot riding on this update and right before next gen consoles release.

I'm hoping local dimming is better.

karmck
Apprentice
Options

For those interested or trying to troubleshoot this issue, the ghosting / smearing that I showed in my video "Q90T ghosting 4K60Hz" goes away when I switch OFF Game Mode.

It's reproducible. As soon as I switch it back on, the ghosting is back.

(This is on older firmware 112.9)

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Firmware 1304 solved that for Game Mode (but ruined Game Mode's contrast and dimming).

But now, when people experience the issue, it is exactly the contrary : Game Mode (GMP off) = no ghosting / any other mode = ghosting

0 Likes
daparky
Pathfinder
Options

Was local dimming every good in game mode? Was it ever as good as local dimming in movie mode?

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

I can't be sure. I think it never was at the level of movie mode, but since the ghosting in Movie Mode was not as bad as it has become today, there was no real point in playing in Game Mode for me (I play mostly single player). All I know is that firmware 1402.6 made things even worse.

I am now beyond frustrated with this tv. Every day brings new issues, I am now plagued with judder when watching movies on my PC (and I have tried absolutely everything I could find on the net)... With that and the ghosting, I mean what the hell is going on! Hopefully my seller will send someone next week because I'm sure I can forget Samsung doing something and I have no confidence that the new firmware will really solve anything...

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

So first test with firmware 1403.1 :

• terrible judder still there in all modes
  • purple ghosting still there outside Game Mode (GMP off)
  • dimming still bad in Game Mode (GMP off), albeit a bit better it seems, but I have to test it at night to be sure
  • haven't tested the scanlines yet...

So it's not a firmware issue, it's my panel... let's contact the seller and see what they can do...

0 Likes
RouDeR
Pathfinder
Options

If you wanna play smooth videos on PC you should use Movie Mode 60hz and apply custom Picture Clarity settings (I use 5/5)

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

What you're saying seem very weird...

-any possibility of setting up a the display's refresh rate to the exact value of the framerate of the video will produce a smoother output (so for movies, generally 23.976fps/23Hz)

-with a display set at 60Hz, frames are presented for different amount of time, causing stuttering

-motion extrapolation settings (Picture Quality for Samsung tvs) will try and add frames to the video source so it can output to 60Hz, but this method causes weird artifacts (pixels not presented correctly) or the soap opera effect (especially with a Judder setting in Picture Quality set at 5, the soap opera effect in very apparent)

And even then, my judder is not caused by any kind of refresh/frame rate discrepancy, as I've tried every display modes and settings available (and also multiple devices and media players).

0 Likes