Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90T HDR/HLG issue/settings

(Topic created on: 19-03-2021 07:42 PM)
Oompaloompa
First Poster
Options

Hi all, I hope somebody can assist with my frustrating issue.

When watching a 4K/HDR programme or film on Sky Q, black images in dark scenes take on a blue tinge. I have tried adjusting a few things but it is a trade off with other things which suffer if it makes any difference at all.

I currently have brightness and contrast set to 50 Gamma set to 3 and shadow detail set to 5. If I reduce any of them, the picture is too dark to be completely enjoyed but I suffer from the problem above. 

Interestingly, it is only programmes in HLG that are affected, so the Sky platform. Watching HDR 10 or HDR 10+ on the native apps is fine. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
davi5
First Poster
Options

I have a Q90R and experience the same issue. I have verified with other owners that they too see the same blue tinge to very dark/black content.

It seems to me that this is a sky issue with the encoding of HLG, presumably as they are having to convert their content (films etc) from HDR10 to HLG as most films aren’t mastered in this format. 

Some content doesn’t seem to be affected, it just seems to be certain films. It has helped to reduce the gamma right down to -3 on content that is affected ted which seems to eliminate most of the blue tinge but not convinced this is 100% effective.

Would be great to get other people’s thoughts on this too!  Not ideal on sky’s part that this affects all Samsung owners of relatively new 4K TVs!

0 Likes
Oompaloompa
First Poster
Options

I think you are on the right lines. I am not technically minded in any way but given that HLG productions on BBC iPlayer do not have the same issue, it’s clearly a problem with Sky.

Sadly, I guess that means nothing will get done🤷‍♂️

0 Likes
Daygos
First Poster
Options

Hi. I thought it was just Sky Q however yesterday i watched a show through the BBC App that was being broadcast in HLG and had the blue tinge on black areas…

0 Likes
davi5
First Poster
Options

Very interesting. Seems likely then that this is a Samsung issue relating to HLG content. Not holding my breath for when (if ever) it will be fixed!

0 Likes
Daygos
First Poster
Options

Have the same issue. Did you ever get this sorted. Midwich Cuckoos in dark scenes is shocking atm!😩

0 Likes
Oompaloompa
First Poster
Options

Never sorted it no and I agree that on Midwich Cuckoos it is intolerable. I have however tinkered almost continually with my settings to a point now where it’s bearable.

My settings are as follows - in Standard mode (since you get the brightest picture that allows some adjustment) I have Local Dimming and Contrast Enhancer set to high, Colour Tone as standard, HLG set at 3 with Shadow Detail set at 0. Additionally, in White Balance I have set the B-offset at -15. Of course, Brightness and Contrast are both maxed at 50.

See how that changes things for you, let me know if you have any other luck.

0 Likes
Daygos
First Poster
Options

Thanks will give it a go

0 Likes